1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

DIY - Make Yourself A Mock-Up (Post Pics If You Can)

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by bruner, Apr 1, 2007.

1. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

First off, this is not my idea, but I made my first one today and thought it was worthy of discussion.

Back in May of 2006, Knightrider posted THIS about some mock-ups he did while waiting for his items to arrive in the mail.

I thought it was a fantastic idea when I first read it. Up until now, I never had a reason to do one. But now, I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase a rather expensive item for my keychain.

Berkeley Point has this Titanium Fixed Bail Snap Shackle, which I want to use as a replacement for the cheap little carabiners that I've been using for years.

Since it is a bit expensive, I wanted to make sure that it's form and function would be acceptable first. So, I printed out the picture of it, then reduced it on a coppier at work until it was the actual size, then cut it out.

Here is my current keychain set-up:
    [​IMG]

Here is the mock-up:
    [​IMG]

Almost looks real, doesn't it?

Anyhow, it looked real enough to help me make a decision. I just ordered the the new snap shackle :)

Thanks for looking,
    Dan

PS. Remeber Berkeley Point has a 10% discount for EDCF members.

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Nice work.

I cut wooden dowels to size to serve as 3-dimensional flashlight mockups This allows me to determine how well the lights fit my hand and holster(s) before actually purchasing them.

Attached Files:

3. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

That's a good idea.

O0

Dan

4. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Great ideas, fellows! You've just made ordering items that much easier for me! :rant:

(Edit: sorry about the angry face; that's my budget talking!) :laugh:

5. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

I use photoshop all the time to see actual size in printouts. Sometimes I glue the actual sized printouts to cardboard to hold and get the feel of the size. Flashlights and knives are something I do this with often.

6. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Chris,

It was your post HERE that gave me the idea to make a mock-up before deciding to buy.

I didn't glue mine to cardboard (good idea), but my mock-up turned out to be pretty close to the real thing and it definetly helped me decide on a purchase...

[​IMG]

Dan

7. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

Now there's a thread from the past! Forgot about that one. My dad has that L1 now and the Bug Out Blade was sold to a member to fund another Atwood piece. I actually just made a mock-up yesterday to see the real size of the Case Trapper I'm getting. :coolsmiley:

8. cbb

cbb Empty Pockets

Thought I would share the way I try to see if a certain knife may be for me.  As with most people, I have to decide on a knife by looking at images on the web.  Sometimes these pictures can be a bit deceptive as to the true size.  Here is a way that I try to see if a particular knife may be for me.

I trace the image onto paper off my computer screen.  [You need to play with the screen resolution/print out till you have the proper actual size.]  I then trace this out onto a piece of cardboard.  Then I cut this out and 'try' my new knife out to see if it seems like a winner. 

Seems better than just buying and hoping for the best. Not a lot of knife stores to choose from near me and unfortunately my bank account is not unlimited.   :broke:

Any other creative ways to shop?   :popcorn:

Attached Files:

9. Qrt

Qrt Loaded Pockets

great idea, I can't remember the times I got a knife and expected it to be bigger/smaller that it was

10. flip

flip Empty Pockets

I know it sounds crazy but I kinda like it if a knife doesn't fit me well. It gives me an excuse to buy another knife!

11. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Good idea, cbb. I build wood mockups. There are other ways to "size" the tool before purchase discussed in the thread Sizeasy - Compare Dimensions in 3D.

12. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

I've seen some cool cardboard mockups, some which even folded. For all you Spyderco fans, you can not only see a list of all Spyderco models but also see an actual sized picture.

13. cbb

cbb Empty Pockets

Can I have your 'hand me downs'? ;D

14. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

New topic ”will a knife fit in my hand” has been merged with previous similar topic “make yourself a mock-up”.
    :db:
    - bruner