1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

DIY laser cut patches?

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by toemke, May 31, 2017.

1. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

A friend of mine has a laser cutter, so thought I could try making some custom patches for myself out of nylon/cordura and SOLAS tape, similar to this. The big question is, how could i get the nylon to stick to the underlying layer of SOLAS tape permanently?

Warrior's Meadow likes this.
  2. tera tike

tera tike Loaded Pockets

3. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

Interesting. Would it work well with cordura/nylon fabric?

4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

If it doesn't have to flex much (tho a bit should be no issue) then two-component polyurethane glue will be hard to beat. Mix the components up with correct color dye for best effect.

5. tera tike

tera tike Loaded Pockets

Yes, I have used it to bond 500 denier fabric and cuben fiber, but will not stick to Hypalon type of fabrics.

6. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

I doubt the two component glue could be used precisely and mess-free for what i intend.

Meanwhile i did some more research. Would Heat'n Bond work? I was thinking of ironing it onto the cordura, then cutting it with the laser cutter, and finally ironing the cut pattern onto the SOLAS.

7. tera tike

tera tike Loaded Pockets

I should work if you use as for final assembly but if you heat it twice it tends to loose its adhesion.

8. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

No personal experience with that exact brand but i have used stuff like it and i found that it eventually wears out especially if its on an item that gets washed frequently (even on not too high temperatures). Also, they tend to work a factor better on cotton than they do on slick polymer based fabrics.

9. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

Hm, most tutorials I saw heated it twice (once to apply to the patch and then a second time to apply to the fabric). I guess I have to experiment around a bit.