1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

DIY - Compact 1/4" Hex Bit Holder (holds up to 100 bits and bit extender)

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by bruner, Jan 7, 2007.

1. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

This Harbor Freight 1/4" hex bit set came with it's own storage box, but I didn't need all of the pieces that it included and wanted something more compact. I wanted something that would be good to keep in my bug out bag with my Leatherman Crunch which can use 1/4" hex bits.

[​IMG]

At my local Gander Mountain, I found these. It's a watertight fly fish hook holder. It cost about $10.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I removed the gray foam interior and added one piece of 1/16" thick rubberized foam (available at hobby shops) to the top and bottom. Then I laid out and hand punched another piece rubberized foam, this time the foam was 1/4" thick. To punch the holes, I took a piece of thin walled brass tubing 3/16" diameter and sharpened it slightly with a file.

[​IMG][​IMG]

It worked out very nice and there was even room to store a bit extender. The black foam prevents everything from rattling around.

[​IMG]

The box I make only holds 91 bits, but there is room to puch more holes. The picture below shows the leatherman Crunch in it's nylon sheath sitting on top of the bit holder for size reference.

[​IMG]

Any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer.

Thanks for looking,
    Dan

2. extreme pyro

extreme pyro Empty Pockets

Re: DIY Compact 1/4" Hex Bit Holder (holds up to 100 bits and bit extender)

Hey bruner let me know how well that holds up. Do the bits stay in place or bounce around. I have one of the gander mt. cases and I might try this if every thing stays together well.
    Steve

3. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Re: DIY Compact 1/4" Hex Bit Holder (holds up to 100 bits and bit extender)

Hi Steve,

Those bits aren't going anywhere. Since I used a 3/16" diameter brass tube to punch the holes and the bits are more like 1/4", it made them very difficult to insert them (initially). Now that they have been in there a while, the foam has sort of "relaxed" or "reshaped" itself around the hexagonal shape of the bits. They are still very tight, but easier to remove and insert than they were the first time. The thin foam on the top and bottom of the interior of the case also prevents them from shifting about.

Thanks,
    Dan

4. Buck

Buck Loaded Pockets

Did you punch the holes all the way through the foam?

5. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

yes. but there is still a thinner layer of foam behind it (two separate foam pieces, one thick with holes punched in and one thin as a backer.

6. Buck

Buck Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I think I'm going to build on of those kits.

7. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

Very nice setup, I may have to do that sometime !
    Been meaning to redo my EDC tool kit anyway.

~John