1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Disney World EDC HELP

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Djs105, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Hey all,

My new wife and I will be enjoying our honeymoon at Disney World soon. I just wanted everyone's opinion.

First and foremost, I'm freaking the hell out because it's a NO WEAPON ZONE and I don't do ANYTHING without a pistol.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight as to things I should be carrying in the most magical place on earth. I will be carrying it all in a 5.11 MOAB 6 (unless you all convince me otherwise). The following is what I have so far:

Disinfectant wipes (sticky kids everywhere :)
    Phone Charger
    Anker Astro charger
    Fenix LD12 (EDC)
    Waterbottle
    Eyeglass repair kit
    Gum
    Ponchos
    Small IFAK (Loksak with: band aid, ointment, cotton swabs, alkaseltzer, Benadryl, asprin, ice pack, moleskin)
    Sunglasses
    Probably gonna hide my Gerber multitool in there somewhere too (what can I hide it in?)

Also, I'll take any suggestions on a mid range point and shoot camera.

Thanks all!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

My family and I travel there multiple times a year. Beware of bringing any tactical looking gear into the parks as the security at the bag check carefully check the pockets most of the time. Happened to me when I brought my Hazard 4 Rocket in. Guy asked me if I had any weapons in the bag.

3. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

This time of year there will be little rain and the temperature should be pleasant with no humidity. Multitool can go in your pocket while going through the bag check line.
    Stuff I actually used:
    - Hand sanitizer
    - wet wipes
    - phones
    - water bottle
    - Sunglasses
    - Hat
    - Snacks
    - lots and lots of cash

Other stuff I took:
    - small FAK
    - external battery to charge phone
    - plastic poncho
    - sunscreen

Keep in mind, the security people search your bag, not you. So if you really feel you need a weapon just carry it on you until you are through the bag check. But keep in mind, Disney is like a kids birthday party times 1 million. There isn't really a need for a weapon (although I kept my folder in my pocket, plus a small SAK). I left my pistol in the safe at the hotel.

Other suggestions:
    - show up when the gates open. The bag check line is empty and you will get through in 30 seconds.
    - have a plan for what you want to see and go there first. By 11a-12p there will be lines everywhere and you waste half the day standing and waiting.
    - Get and use the Fast Pass band (if you stay at a disney hotel you get these free)
    - If you really want to see everything possible and don't mind moving a little quicker, go to touringplans . com and sign up for the 1 year option (like $12). It makes your itinerary based on projected park occupancy, wait times, etc and allows you to experience the most attractions in the shortest time. We did 2 days with kids and had finished the schedule by 1p each day leaving the afternoon free for the most part and we saw 90% of Magic Kingdom. Well worth the 12 bucks.

For a backpack, I bought an LLBean bright blue day pack (like $30) just to avoid the tactical look. But there were plenty of black bags covered in MOLLE all over the place so I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep knives in your pockets and not in your bag when entering the park.

Djs105 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Building on what Jonb wrote: Use the Fastpass system to legally 'jump the line' ... I can't post the link, but this is explained fully on the Disney website.

Also, we took some friends' advice: went early in the day, left in time to go back to the hotel for lunch, a nap (you'll need it, too!), and a swim. Went back to DW in the late afternoon and stayed late ... Worked out perfectly for us. YMMV.

Don't know where you're staying, but if there's an Ale House near you it has wonderful food : try the blackened dolphinfish sandwich ... Outstanding! Another surprising food option: Vincenzo's near the Orange County Convention Center on I-4: excellent food, but not cheap.

Finally, keep in mind that you'll be on your feet all day, so comfortable footwear is essential. Have fun!

Djs105, ManVsLawn and Jonb74 like this.
  5. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone. Trust me, I have done my Disney research and being a prepared person I have a very good idea what we are doing, when and where.

My questions mostly were in regards to what items might makes the week better, safer and more convient.

The MOLLE thing is a really good point that I briefly thought about. But hearing several people mention say it hear drives the point home. Can anyone recommend a moderate priced non-tactical bag about that size?

Also JonB, you say that Disney is like a kids birthday party. While to most people you may be right, but to me it's a huge target for terrorists, kidnappers, pick pockets and general expletive deleted type people.

6. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

I think they ask everybody with a bag whether they have weapons, because they asked me that too and I just had a navy blue shoulder pack. I don't look tactical at all either. I don't think you would really have any problems with a tactical pack once you are inside the park though, as I saw a good bit of people wearing them. Security will either hand inspect your bag, or they will have you remove items onto a table to sort through.

As far as a pocket knife or multi-tool, you should be able to sneak one in, but keep in mind that the security staff do have the detecting wands too. I would say the less awkward you act, not saying that you would...just saying, the less likely you are to encounter any issues getting through security. Now getting your park passes and wristbands to work properly each time is a different story though! Have a great time...it is an amazing place.

Djs105 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  7. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

I was there last summer with my scout troop. I had all my usual stuff except for the knives. No bag even. Walking through the non-bag area, one of the people spotted my flashlight clip, the same black color as my pants, and asked to check if it was a knife. They do a good job. I was impressed.

ManVsLawn and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  8. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

Just got back from Magic Kingdom in October. I carried a Jansport backpack. My wife carried a small sling bag. The best item was the lanyards with the small mini flashlights on them. I picked up at the dollar store some disney branded lanyards and a pack of 4 watch button lights. This allowed me to attach a little light to each lanyard and allow us to have our passes at hand for fast passes.

In my pack I had a change of socks for everyone who was walking. I also had an extra undershirt and pants for each kid. These were stored in Ziplock bags that had the air pushed out. I had 2 extra ziploc bags for electronics if it rained. For my and my wifes cell we have removable batteries and carried 2 spare batteries fully charged and a emergency back up charger. We also had 2 spare rechargable batteries for my digital camera and a extra set of lithium disposables for my wifes camera. Carried my standard altoids first aid kit along with a mini fob that i put 4 sets of ear plugs in for kids during fireworks show. I also added in some gold bond powder and a small thing of athletic tap incase I had a rubbing issue.

I also had my waterbottle and 2 of the liquid concentrates to flavor it. Did not buy a single drink while I was there. That alone probably saved me 50 bucks. We also had with us some snacks for the waits in line (goldfish and peanut butter crackers).

ManVsLawn and Djs105 like this.
  9. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

So I literally JUST got an email that a the 5.11 COVRT ZONE ASSAULT is now available for $50. Anyone have any experance with this bag? Will it be comfortable wearing all day?

10. gpgriz

gpgriz Loaded Pockets

I took my phone, but we all stayed together. Never used it.

Take a big freezer ziplock bag for putting wet ponchos into so they don't soak your bag contents.

I carried my SAK in my pocket. No troubles.

Shift your pack infringement when standing in line so people behind you aren't snooping and your not whacking others with it.
    Have fun!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  11. t4terrific

t4terrific Empty Pockets

I carry a Kahr PM9 in a front pocket holster at The Magic Kingdom twice a year.

12. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

Poor Walt must be rolling in his grave! It's D-Isney World not D-Day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. duff72

duff72 Empty Pockets

Accidentally carried my Spyderco delica . I realized my error before getting on the tram from the parking lot and stuffed it in the pocket so the clip wouldn't be noticed. Before going through bag check I was stopped by plainclothes security and pulled aside. They told me to take the knife that was in my front right pocket back to my car. That took 30 minutes. I was discrete about moving it into the pocket and was very surprized that they got me. They are on the ball. If it was in my pocket from the start they would never have known.

14. cvedvr

cvedvr Empty Pockets

Djs105, I gotta ask, from where was the discount offered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. switchblade906

switchblade906 Loaded Pockets

I have brought my glock 19 into the park using my MOAB 10 in the "hidden" velcro pocket with a velcro holster. The security is alright at disney. I always bring my knife with me and have never had anything said to me but thats because they dont see it. As long as you don't bring attention to yourself you should be fine.

16. switchblade906

switchblade906 Loaded Pockets

Where is this at?

17. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

Same thing happened to me too but at Disneyland and with my Benchamde 940. Had to walk back to hotel to drop it off.

18. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Quartermasters uniforms. I did order it and I'll post more when I get it.

19. parallax

parallax Loaded Pockets

Me and the wife go there a couple of times a year and I usually pack what we both need for the park into my Maxpedition Kodiak. The only real extra attention it got is a couple of the guards saying 'nice bag' on the way through the checkpoint! As for what to bring my usual list looks like:

* Sunglasses & lens cloths
    * Sunscreen
    * HDS clicky flashlight & a spare battery
    * Cash
    * Boonie hat
    * Power pack to charge phones on the go. Regular chargers for all
    * Nikon D7000 camera (sometimes)
    * Chapstick
    * Cash
    * Small first aid kit. Pack extra band-aids -in my experience the girls tend to get blisters walking around in their new flip flops!
    * Small SAK
    * Chewing gum
    * A few different sized Loksak bags to keep our phones dry when the heavens open or when on Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom
    * Cash

Don't forget to book your FastPass ride reservations and any meals you want to have as soon as possible if you haven't done that yet. Have a great time and congrats to you both!

20. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

Been back for a few days now. The COVRT bag was exactly what I needed. It was comfortable to wear all day and carried everything I wanted to have with me. Never raised any suspicion with Security as I assume a black MOLLE bag might have. Very happy with the purchase.

Anyone going to Disney, I highly recommend getting a portable phone charger. It saved my 3 of the 5 days.