1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dish Network or Cable??

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by ran23, Oct 26, 2018.

1. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Using Charter Cable and their Internet (1GB) right now. Is Dish a better deal? quality and internet speed wise? What kind of speed is Dish? thanks all.

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Are you talking about Sat. Internet or do they partner with some real internet provider in your area?

If it is Sat. Internet and there is no real reason to switch from Charter wired Internet then no YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH DISH!

Sat. Internet is just the only option for Internet service for some of us but if not for you then run away from the idea, it is just not in the same league as any wired line service that you can get,even ATT UVerse or DSL which is also dog-:censored: slow when compared to Cable Internet.

Even if it is wired Internet but not Charter then NO YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH DISH!

As a company I find Charter to be maybe the worst to deal with on this Earth.......easily and by a wide margin but as for Internet speed and Cable Picture Quality there is no better I am afraid.

Also worth noting that this is what I do and have done for a living,AV and Theatre sales and Install/Service and I have for way longer than there has even been Cable or Internet or A/V really,man am I old.

Dish Picture Quality also seems soft and more prone to digital artifacts than the others to me and sadly there is just no other company that delivers speed and quality right now like Charter does.

ran23 likes this.
  3. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

thanks, I live in a newer neighborhood with utilities underground. Equipment failure is the only problem I have seen.

4. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

The internet providers can vary depending on the region. Spectrum has frequent outages in my area. U-verse was reliable but not the fastest.

I switched to AT&T Fiber 1GB for Internet since I am working from home up to 3 days a week. The speed has been consistent and reliable since it is all new lines.

5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I've never had Dish Network internet, but I've had Dish circa 2008-2010. Absolutely loved it.

Suddenlink 2010-2013, IIRC, and no qualms whatsoever.

Had Direct TV 2013-2015 and hated it. I then had to move to AT&T for cable and internet until 2017 The latter had purchased the former. U-verse was generally garbage.

Currently, I have Cox, and the techs are out for internet service all the time. I had a wireless extender installed two days ago hopefully defeating the problem I've complained about since Day 1. We got the Homelife alarm monitoring conjoined with this. My wife wanted it. It's an affluent neighborhood in a city with virtually no crimes against persons and very little property crimes. I hate it, but we're in a contract with another year or less to go. The fire alarm went off once and would not go off. It always indicates a window is open somewhere and won't arm for security. I'm tired of people coming out "to have a look."

Edited for seriously atrocious finger tapping.

Last edited by ArkansasFan30, Oct 27, 2018
    #5 ArkansasFan30, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  6. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

As a retired Alarm Tech, you should have a way to arm up and bypass any open zones. Most systems are wireless these days, and if they charge you for new batts, there are usually cr123.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised you made sense of my fat thumbed horror, lol.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've never used a dish network for Internet, but have used both Dish and DirecTV for TV. My experience with both was MEH. As far as Cox. goes, I did have them for a while for both Internet and TV; we went through a spell several years back where every weekend they were doing some system wide work on the local subscriber network that resulted in unexpected and unexplained outages. They never did get it through their fool heads that (a) subscribers were owed a heads-up for such things; (b) subscribers were owed an honest explanation of what the hell was going on.

Finally had to get the county consumer affairs office involved.

I switched to Verizon FiOS at that point and have never looked back. And don't plan to..! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

We had SAT TV and Internet here in central Tennessee. Every time a storm rolled through we would lose both. Just when we needed the TV weather the most.

10. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

My TV service is Dish, been with them almost 20 yrs, very happy. From time to time, I'll see them offer a great deal to new subscribers, I'll call, threaten to leave, they'll put me over the retention people, they'll give me some type of promo.

As for internet, do not go with Sat. internet. My Dad had hughesnet for 3 yrs, very expensive, very limited, and in really bad weather it would go down. Also, if it is paired with your Sat. tv for downloading programs, your bill will get outrageous in a short period of time.

I used to have Centurylink itself for internet, now it's part of my Dish bill, so I save a few bucks per month.

11. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Never had sat internet so I can't say about it.

With out tv we started with direct and dish come along with one of their promos so we switched. We were with them for one year and I wouldn't suggest dish to my worst enemy, they were horrible. Went back with direct. Rain fade I get but since I live out in the country cable is out of the question. With dish we would also get sun fade. Counted it up one month during the summer and we were without tv more days than with. We have never had sun fade with direct and I though the CS was pulling my leg when I called to complain. When I asked about it they just hung up on me, 2 times in a row.