1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Discreet Tactical Pen?

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by swiftness, Nov 7, 2011.

1. swiftness

swiftness Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know who makes a Tactical pen that doesn't look like a weapon or even a tactical pen at all? I am looking for something under $40 that could serve as an impact tool but isn't intended to be or at least doesn't look like it is. I have a sanitized cold steel sharkie, and a stainless steel sharpie. The sharkie is nice but it is huge and I am afraid if they don't think I have it as a weapon they will accuse me of being a graffiti vandal. The sharpie is awesome but I really wish it had a sturdy screw on cap. Plus I would prefer a writing pen so I can actually use it. If anyone could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I am really not looking for a zebra 710 or parker jotter been there and wasn't happy with them.

2. JAfromMn
    • +4 Supporter

JAfromMn Banned

Subscribed

I hope you get some good answers.

3. swiftness

swiftness Loaded Pockets

I sure hope so too. I have been looking for quite some time and haven't come up with much.

4. jcap11

jcap11 Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at the CountyComm Embassy Pen (http://www.countycomm.com/pens.html)? It's a nice pen, the basic model is around $40, and I don't think it looks too tactical... at least, compared to some other tactical pens out there.

5. Ricebrnr

Ricebrnr Loaded Pockets

I like those.

My friend has a relatively non threatening one from Surefire.

Its pretty discreet except for the giant logo..

6. Sympa

Sympa Loaded Pockets

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I owned one of those. It's an absolute piece of crap. And honestly, that's putting it mildly. I normally have a great deal of respect for Fred Perrin. But this isn't one of his creations. He found a cheap metal pen made overseas, and simply bought up a bunch of them after having his name engraved on the plastic caps.

Most discreet tactical pen is one that is all metal, preferably a traditional rollerball design with a cap that screws onto the body of the pen in the closed position; and a pen that is not advertised as being "tactical." Head over to Staples, or Office Max, or Office Depot. Check out the pens they have in stock. That's as discreet as it gets with a "tactical" pen.

8. andiem

andiem Loaded Pockets

Parker Jotter :) not really a tactical pen per se, but its made pf stainless steel and quite durable... the same might go for other SS pens, too.

---

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

9. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

i would look into the CC Embassy pen......nice and simple, without the "flesh maulers" and "DNA samplers".......and its a great pen to write with....not huge and bulky like the other tactical pens.

then theres the original fisher space pen
    http://www.spacepen.com/originalastronautspacepen.aspx

a more solid pen, you will not find......very durable, and again, a great pen to write with.

10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

If you need a screw down cap, take a look at the Pelikan Pharo ($25-$35... $20 on eBay).

Otherwise a Rotring Initial ($47-$60).

Both have a good size thumbrest and tapered "business end." No one would raise an eye at either one at a formal function.

ATB,
    Sam

11. maded

maded Loaded Pockets

I paid $18 for a Defense Pen by United Cutlery. It's going for about $10 on Amazon now. It's a twist to deploy type pen. I don't like capped pens cuz there's always a chance I could drop it or something... Relatively non-tactical looking - I've gone thru airports 4 times already.

The ink cartridge that came with it was horrible. A Parker refill from a stationary shop fixed that.

Hope this helps!

12. swiftness

swiftness Loaded Pockets

I will probably go with the embassy pen in the end. I just wish the cap screwed onto the back and even though it isn't it still looks like a tactical pen.

13. swiftness

swiftness Loaded Pockets

I read your review of the fred perrin pen and you saved me from getting one. I've been in and out of pearl paint, staples, any office store around looking and haven't come up with much. My best idea so far are "screw cap pens" Are they any slick pens out there that you've come across. I figured you would have the answer to this one for sure, hell I almost pm'd you before posting this topic lol.

14. swiftness

swiftness Loaded Pockets

That fisher pen looks like it would be a good candidate and also must be a very good pen to write with. I was looking at the trekker which I have seen sold as a kubaton pen but I don't see how the cap will stay on. http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/4550

15. swiftness

swiftness Loaded Pockets

Pelikan Pharo that is a really nice one. Thanks for the heads up!

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I wish I could narrow down your choices. Two biggest problems is that not only do all of the major office supply chain stores feature different pen lines, but sometimes the individual stores within the same chain do so as well. Another issue is that the well-made but very inexpensive pens often don't have names. Sometimes just long model numbers. I'm afraid that the general description of a rollerball with cap that screws into place is the best I can do.

Ironically the choices open up quite a bit for those willing to carry around a fountain pen. Best one off the top of my head would be the fountain pens from Retro51. Very solid and sturdy in the closed position.

17. swiftness

swiftness Loaded Pockets

Everything you are saying makes sense, especially after being constantly in and out of stationary stores looking. Also thanks for the heads up. I am even looking at the standard Retro51 tornado http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=290625895313

I'm from NYC too and the weapon laws here are crazy. I would just carry a regular tactical pen if I wasn't worried about getting pinched for it. Pretty much why I am obsessed with finding things not intended to be a weapon but can be used as one. I wish they marketed the tactical pens differently in the beginning. Then I would never be even thinking about this.

18. oronocova

oronocova Loaded Pockets

I like my Zebra 701. It's all stainless steel except one little part at the top. Swap that part out with the like part from a 402 and it's all metal. Not marketed as tactical but it is thick walled and I am sure it could do some damage. Also total cost is like 10 dollars (that's for all three pens for the described modification.) You can get them at most any Walmart.

19. swiftness

swiftness Loaded Pockets

I had one and noticed how sturdy it isn't within minutes of owning it you can actually wiggle that knurled piece very easily off to reveal how thin the steel walls are. that is actually the weak area of the pen. I bent it striking my thigh if I remember. Yep that's right http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/69283-Is-the-Zebra-701-really-the-poor-man-s-tactical-pen wow 2009 time flies and to think I still don't have my perfect pen :(

20. davidnl

davidnl Loaded Pockets

+1 Very thin walls on 701.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk