1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Discreet Tactical Pants for Office Job

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Olympus, May 6, 2016.

1. Olympus

Olympus Empty Pockets

Hey everyone, new member here and looking for some suggestions for some discreet tactical pants to wear in an office setting, business casual dress code, with a standard polo type shirt. I don't want the pants to scream TACTICAL, so no cargo pockets on the sides. I also don't want the heavy canvas material as that's more outdoorsy and would look out of place in the office environment. I'm not opposed to the waffle pattern rip-stop material though.

I wear my khakis and chinos out pretty fast just from washing and drying all the time and it seems like now all I can find in the stores are "slim" and "skinny" fit with a tapered leg. I'm definitely not a slim fit guy, I'm 6'1" 225lbs. I'm a big framed guy so I can hide my weight pretty easily, but I still wear a 38" waist pant and that's also kind of hard to find in stores.

So for reference, I'm looking at the 5.11 Ridgeline pant and that is the look I'm going for. But $80 is pretty steep for me so I want to see if there are other similar choices that might not be so expensive. Thanks!

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  2. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

You can get the VertX with the thigh pockets and most people won't even realize they are there -- they are inside the pants, use an oversewn flap rather than a big floppy velcro thing, and don't balloon out. Perfect for a big iPhone, a Moleskin notebook, etc. The pants come in both a synthetic lighter weight and a heavier cotton version; the synthetic lasts longer but is actually slightly hotter (for me, anyway). The black cotton ones tends to fade with repeated washings (as all black cotton slacks do; the synthetic ones hold the color pretty well), but the khaki is subtle and lasts well, fits your kind of build really well (and go up to a 48 or so, in a wide variety of leg lengths), and is superbly made. And they frequently go on 30-40% off on sales if you're on their mailing list.

There's also a low-profile design in the TAD line.

You may just want to find some nice khakis, since it sounds like you're stripping out the features that characterize a tactical pant. If you don't want the thigh pockets you may not want the gusset in the crotch, or articulated knees, and stuff like that. Check Duluth Trading for some nicely priced durable slacks that will fit you.

3. bob_the_bomb

bob_the_bomb Loaded Pockets

Scottevest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sungame likes this.
  4. Nodust

Nodust Empty Pockets

I wear Kuhl hiking pants. They also have some that may be close to what you like. But they aren't cheap.

Hairlesswookiee and Mudinyeri like this.
  5. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

I have been using the 5.11 taclite jean cut pants for a few months now, I like them for the extra pockets with out the ridiculous "tactical" look. The do have some down falls, they REALLY seem to show dirt very easily. If you lean up against a slight dusty truck you will be trying to knock the dirt off them all day. I am also starting to really question the 5.11 quality at this point. They are about 6 months old and I am seeing holes starting to wear around the back pockets. My biggest thing is that I bought all 7 pair at the same time in the same size (32x34). I now have 3 pair that I can not wear because they are now about 2 inches to small (30x34) I can barely button them, no way I can carry IWB with them. So I don't know what the heck is up with them. I REALLY like the pant/pocket layout and want to get some ridgelines since they are almost the same style. Just not sure I could spend the money with "hopes" they are better than then taclites.

Thanks,
    Boswell

Nyfe likes this.
  6. Lawbooks

Lawbooks Empty Pockets

I have several pairs of the 5.11 Covert Khakis. I wear them to work almost every day with a shirt and tie, and I throw on a sport coat for court. They look just fine for an office environment, which is what they were made for. They have a hidden pocket along the side seam of each leg large enough to hold a cellphone, etc. They have worn very well.

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  7. ClangClang

ClangClang Loaded Pockets

Slightly off topic - your pants are wearing out from being run through the dryer. You know all the lint that collects in the dryer trap? That lint used to be part of your clothing but the tumbling action and heat literally eroded it off.

If you can, hang-dry your clothing instead. I got a $12 folding clothes rack from Ikea. When it's not in use, it lives behind my bedroom door. I've been hanging all my clothing for about 4 years now and the durability/longevity of my clothing has skyrocketed. I used to get less than 1 year out of a pair of pants (worn 2-3 days per week). Now... I don't really have an expected death date... stuff just lasts forever.

OKMEDIC likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

So, you're looking for discreet "tactical" trousers that will withstand the rigors of frequent washings better? Why not buy more of the same type of trousers that you presently own so that you're not washing them so frequently. Use the gentle cycle of your washing machine and the low heat setting of your dryer. That should go a long way in making them last longer. Otherwise it appears to me that you're just looking for an excuse to but some other types of trousers. No shame in wanting to buy something. No point in trying to kid yourself cuz you're not kidding' us.;)

9. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

You can also buy a second shower curtain rod and hang clothes on that.

0dBm likes this.
  10. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

Check out the trouser selection from Duluth Trading Co.

sungame likes this.
  11. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

TAD has some designs that are pretty low profile. Kuhl isn't quite "tactical" but they make good, functional pants. Duluth Trading's pants wear like iron (there's good and bad associated with that). VertX Phantoms are fairly low profile.

Another thought ... if you're in an office environment, you probably don't need to wash your pants all that often.

12. Max.

Max. Loaded Pockets

Duluth "middle management" chinos are good casual pants. So far they're wearing better than LL Bean khakis for me.

13. JoshTF

JoshTF Loaded Pockets

Vertx pants are my go too pants for when I want to be a little dressed up and not scream this dude has a ton of guns.

Link: http://vertx.com/mens-original-tactical-pants-khaki

They wear great the only thing is I find they run a little small. I normally have a 30 inch waist, but I buy 32 inch pants for canceled carry. With the Vertx pants I normally buy a 33-34 and find it fits perfect. They good pants that hold up well and breath great. I have ran a few tactical shooting compitions in them and no rips tears or anything else, even stains seem to come out well. Generally speaking folks think I am just wearing a pair of slacks/khakis until they seem me reach in the cargo pocket. So long as you don't over load it with gear it goes completely unnoticed. I have three pair so far.

14. Magic8ball

Magic8ball Loaded Pockets

I really like Kuhl's pants. I wear them for business casual all the time

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  15. Thai_cat

Thai_cat Empty Pockets

TAD Spartan RS or DS.

dcmassena and 343KD like this.
  16. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I have been wearing tac pants for a long time, as in when 5.11s were Royal Robbins and everything else was a BDU. As I get older, I prefer less silly pockets and a more svelte look.

While I have a closet full of various makes, including Eotac, Vertx, LAPG, I really own wear two types now.

1) 5.11 Taclight Jean Cut - ripstop cotton/nylon that is too light for much winter wear but good for 8-10 months a year. Of course, they are the hit or miss quality that define 5.11... Buy what you find works today, because the next production run will be at a different sweatshop using different sizing, materials and color.

2) my beloved Woolrich Coverts, which I found to be a great analogue to the awesome Patagonia standup pants. Both pants are long discontinued, but I have two presentable pairs and 3-4 rough looking pairs of the Woolrich.

17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Plus 1 Kuhl.

18. meds081603
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

meds081603 Loaded Pockets

I've tried 5.11, propper, and tru-spec. So far I only like 5.11.

19. texhntr1022

texhntr1022 Empty Pockets

Check out American Tactical Apparel by Hoffners.com they have a discreet carry option that's awesome. They are EXPENSIVE but very well made and made in the USA.

20. dcmassena

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

+1...I have a couple pair of TAD Spartan RS and they work really well in a business casual environment.