1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Discreet knife for college EDC?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by midnightreport, Nov 24, 2010.

1. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

How about a small slipjoint like a Case Stockman? 2 of the 3 blades are quite short and unassuming. The also come in very nice bone handles with nickel bolsters so they don't look so deadly like your D4...Rough Rider makes some very nice ones at a very reasonable cost so if it gets confiscated you're only out 8 or 9 bucks.

2. midnightreport

midnightreport Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the suggestions! With regard to my earlier condition of no SAKs, I was only thinking of the small 2 1/4" ones; didn't really think about the larger ones. I'm looking pretty hard at a Victorinox SAK Hiker, as the friendly red handle should hopefully keep the non-knife folks happy. It's not a locking blade, but that's a preference, not a requirement for me. The Boker Subcom and Keycom also look appealing, but I think I'll bow to the wisdom that for EDC work a SAK appears much less threatening. I'm keeping my Delica 4, but it'll just get more "drawer time" I guess.

Funny/sad/ironic thing: I've been doing some research, and Oregon seems to be one of the most knife-friendly states out there. It's just when I walk onto campus, the environment goes from permissive to borderline-draconian. Ah well...

3. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not sure where in Oregon you are but Kershaw is in Tualatin near the I-205 split.

4. Wolvee

Wolvee Loaded Pockets

I'd like to add a small warning for everyone. Most colleges have an in-descriptive "weapons" policy so be careful. Colleges in most states are also allowed to make "ordinances" which are as good as prosecutable as state laws, so long as there is no preemption on it. I just recent'y looked into this because I was also curious about carrying my edc knife to school. Since ordinances are often hard to find in a cities list of laws (which is my school/cities case) I choose to just carry and keep it tucked away for private use only. I carry a Kershaw skyline and a Boker Subcom.

I did just buy this for my wife and I'm kinda jealous.
    Wenger® Swiss Clipper Knives
    They have lots of colors.
    http://images2.opticsplanet.com/640-640/opplanet-wenger-swiss-army-knives-evogrip-clipper.jpg

Rule #3 - Hot linked image removed.
    Regards,
    -Moderator BSF

5. Crew
    • In Omnia Paratus

Crew Loaded Pockets

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

This is true. Even if it is not prosecutable, you could still risk expulsion from the unversity.

I went to a state university and they had a Campus Police force. I contacted the chief of police (by email) and asked him what I could legally carry. He told me in clear terms what the university's pocket knife policy was and I kept the email for reference. I would recommend that you do the same and then error on the side of caution with the knife you select (if the policy leaves enough room).

Granted, if you find out that they prohibit pocket knives, there is then documentation that you are aware of that policy. If you find out that knives are prohibited, get a nice multitool and remove the blade. The LM PS4 would be a great candidate - pliers, scissors, and screwdrivers.

7. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

As someone already mentioned, the Wenger SAK has a locking blade. If you want a minimal setup the Wenger Evo S111 is a great choice. My personal favourite is the Wenger Evo S18 (These models are also available without a lock, so search for the "S" infront of the numbers)

Here's the full lockking line-up:
    http://www.myswissknife.ch/pocket-knives/evolution-serie/security.html

And FYI, WENGER and VICTORINOX are the same company. Victorinox bught Wenger in 2005. but kept Wengers product line intact. The springs on the Wenger improved since then which was the only but mayor drawback of them. On all the other points, tools we often see on SAKs, I believe Wenger has the better options.

8. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

How about a yellow-handled knife? Could it be possible that people would associate the color as more utility/rescue, i.e. less threatening? Spyderco Salt models look good to me

9. cutter17

cutter17 Empty Pockets

I want to go back and mention the Boker Subcom as an option. Boker now produces a titanium version of the Subcom which would be pretty neat. Has a 1 7/8" blade that is very functional, with a handle that is tall so to give you a better grip on the knife. At around $35 it is not going to break the bank either. Here's a link to knifecenter and a pic of the knife.

http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/boker/images/01BO582.jpg

10. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

When I attended college, I carried a Leatherman Wave, Juice CS4, or Victorinox Compact. No one ever thought anything of it other than I was handy to have around because I had a bottle opener with some other tools attached to it.

I liked the Wave because it was my tool box. The Vic Compact was nice because of how slim it was while still providing enough function to get me through my day. The Juice was a happy medium in that it was lighter than the Wave, but had more tools than the Compact.

11. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I use my Boker Subcom as a money clip but also as an emergency knife just in case I need it.

12. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

that is almost like having no law at all, haha :)

13. Sniperx7

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

I have the same dilemma at my school. knives and other "weapons" are prohibited by the college's policy. However, note that it is just school policy and not law. If you keep your wits about you, they cannot commence any legal action against you for having it or using it in a utility fashion. That doesn't mean that you can't get kicked out.

So, in regards to that, i now keep my griptilian in my bag and only pocket carry a spyderco ladybug.

I'm friends with just about all the cops on campus tho ^.^

14. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I bought a Rough Rider jig bone Sodbuster style folder a few months ago. For $14 it has brass liners, solid lock up (liner lock), and a razor sharp blade. It's a very solid work knife that hardly gets a second glance - looks like something my grandfather would have carried.

15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The standard 91mm SAK's are probably going to be a safe bet - recognisable and common enough that they won't scare someone in the way a tactical looking knife like a Spyderco or Boker will. Victorinox make some great quality knives, and seem to be sticking to a fairly traditional and recognisable pattern. Wenger (now owned by Victorinox, so comparable quality) offer a lot more fancy options like a locking main blade and the evogrip scales rather than the basic red celidor.

As a bonus, if you do ever get questioned on your carry, the toolset of a SAK style tool leaves you in a much better place as regards to carrying a tool rather than weapon (though obviously not foolproof).

16. jabba359

jabba359 Loaded Pockets

The recently released Spyderco FRN Dragonfly 2 is a nice small knife and comes in under $50. Of course, the Cricket is "cuter" and less likely to get people freaking out, but is a little over your $50 budget. I always carry a Ladybug and that thing is hard to beat for it's size. It cuts like a much larger knife. Finally, if you opt for a Boker Subcom, spend the extra $5 and get the Ti version.

17. A3C86

A3C86 Loaded Pockets

+1;D

18. branespload

branespload Loaded Pockets

i wouldn't get the cricket.. that was my first campus EDC and when i pulled it out to cut some cardboard down for this girl during a project and she got scared -_-

the beak and the recurve freak them out even if it's under 2" long. nobody batted an eye at the SAK tho. (sorry for recommending a SAK on my blog haha)

19. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Empty Pockets

As many have said already there are some nice small spydercos that would do well. I don't think anyone has mentioned the sog flash 1 yet, but it has a great grind for delicate work. Another plus is the deep carry pocket clip, making many onlookers think that it is just a pen when clipped to the pocket. Subcom Titan and SAK cadet are other great options as well.