1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Discreet knife for college EDC?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by midnightreport, Nov 24, 2010.

1. midnightreport

midnightreport Loaded Pockets

I currently attend a small urban liberal-arts college and I've had more than a few people freak out when I've pulled out my Delica 4 for fairly mundane tasks. I do my best to be conscious of when I pull it out, not playing with the knife in public, using two hands to open the blade, exercising good knife safety and all that good stuff. But just today, while using my D4 to open a box of printer paper, I got asked why I carry "such a big scary knife". :brickwall:

I'm looking for a locking EDC folder that's more low profile and non-knife people friendly than my Delica, but still large enough to be serviceable. I already carry a LM Micra on my keychain (so no SAK suggestions please), but I prefer to also carry a dedicated folder for jobs that the Micra just can't handle. I'd like to keep it under $50 if possible (poor college student), but I can scrape pennies together if something amazing comes along.

I do have an ulterior motive of wanting to expand my knife collection, but I think that's kind of a given already...;D

2. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

3. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the boker subcom its what i used to carry when i was in college

4. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

You can also try the Boker Keycom for around $16. I cannot imagine such small knife raising any eyebrows. Check your school's rules first. Don't risk getting thrown out for a zero tolerance weapons policy.

5. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I carried some very large knives at my university without a single raised eyebrow.

But you might want to consider a SAK. Those familiar bright red friendly handles and large amount of tools put non knife people at ease.

6. MSCantrell

MSCantrell Loaded Pockets

SAK, definitely. Wenger makes some with locking blades.
    Don't know why that red handle is so benign, but people just aren't scared of them.

7. mworley66

mworley66 Loaded Pockets

+3 on the SAK

8. SEDACON

SEDACON Loaded Pockets

I am mostley a Leatherman EDCer, but I do own this one.... http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Ken-Onion-Chive-KS1600.htm ..... It is about 3 1/2 inches in length closed and about 5 1/2 inches open. (measured it with my Leatherman Surge...lol) Very sharp small pocket knife with a lock switch and a clip. I just walked in to my local Lighthound about a year or so ago and got mine. (btw...Lighthound customer service rocks!)

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

+4 on the SAK

I carried a SwissChamp in my backpack when I was in college. Even more liberal students and staff were not offended by it and several asked to borrow it.

10. SEDACON

SEDACON Loaded Pockets

The man did ask for no SAK suggestions did he not? Besides, Victorinox I beleive is better quality than Wenger. Just my opinion fellas! (Old school Victorinox user, current Leatherman EDCer)

11. Underhill
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Underhill Perpetually Hungry

Good call, they also happen to be in stock at JSBurly's, the official forum store! :roof:

12. burnd4life

burnd4life Loaded Pockets

13. midnightreport

midnightreport Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the advice. On Sharpdogs' suggestion, I looked up my university's policies. On the campus safety page, they have a "zero-tolerance policy regarding firearms, weapons, and simulated weapons". However, on the Residential Services page, they recommend bringing a "multi purpose tool" on the packing list.

So as long as my blade can do other things than cut, I'm okay?

14. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

Do you go to a private University? California allows blades of up to 2.5" on University grounds. I go to a private university and they allow folding knives up to 2.5" but they don't allow fixed blades. In California the length of the blade is measured from the tip of the knife to the bottom of the sharpened edge (not to the beginning of the handle). My Leatherman Skeletool CX meets these requirements and I carry it to class.

15. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

critterfixer Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Kiwi. Small and discrete with the appearance of a gentleman's pocket knife. Functional lock-back blade with great ergonomics. Good steel, easy to sharpen.

[​IMG]

16. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I doubt the contradiction on the residential services page is going to shield you from expulsion, if they really wanted to do it.

Basically you're at the whim of the university here.

CA State Law allows folding knives of any length: http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html#SECTION%20THREE

However, those laws do not apply to private universities, which are private property and thus can make up regulations as they see fit.

You do know that they make SAKs with locking blades that open with one hand, in addition to the tiny 2.5" keychain ones? One of those, or perhaps a traditional slipjoint with non-threatening handles, would be my recommendation.

17. SEDACON

SEDACON Loaded Pockets

That's one perk to living in Texas. We have a 5 or 5 1/2 inch blade.....yes I said blade law for concealed carry anywhere in the state (including univ.) The handle could be five feet long just as long as the blade is within the limit....ofcoarse if you can fit a knife over 5 feet long on your person in a concealed manner, I would ask you to post your pics! ....lol

18. A3C86

A3C86 Loaded Pockets

I Just Graduated from a California University and the legality of a knife always crossed my mind. Which is the reason why I too had to switch to a "people friendly pocket knife." My pocket knife edc consisted of Spyderco Grasshopper, Spyderco Dragonfly, Spyderco Ladybug, and Boker Subcom Titan. Had I still been in school I would have to include the new spyderco kiwi so theres another plus for that one. Another knife that has always interest me was the Spyderco Spin but never pulled the trigger.
    I wish you the best in your search.

19. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

After thinking about it some more, the Spyderco Cricket might be another great option. It is small, but the reverse-S blade gives it enormous cutting power, even more so if you choose to go with the serrated version, and if you hold it right you can make it look like you're cutting open packages with your bare fingers.

20. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I either didn't care what the rule regarding pocket knives was in college or I just didn't think about it. I carried what I carried. I can't even tell you what it was.

I went and ran an errand and remembered what I carried in college. It was an all stainless Frost Cutlery knife, with about a 3.5" blade fully serated. One handed opener with lockback and I think it had a pocket clip.