1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Discontinued Favorites

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by SOS24, Jan 5, 2019.

1. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I confess I am a Flashlight-aholic.

I love flashlights, especially quality ones with features I like. My MiL likes to joke me every since it came up that I belong to a forum dedicated to flashlights and related topics, but I don’t mind because it provided a good laugh at a time that it was really needed.

That being said, I am so sad because I discovered that one of my favorite flashlights has been discontinued - Nitecore SRT3. For a while I have been debating getting another one because it is so versatile. Now knowing it is discontinued, I had to buy another one and am considering yet a 2nd addition.

I also liked the Glo-Toob lithium, which was discontinued shortly after I discovered it.

Does this happen to other people? Have you had something you really like be discontinued? If so, what was it?

2. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Repeatedly! Starting probably with the CMG Infinity. CMG was taken over by Gerber who did away with the original head-twisty design and changed it to a much less desirable tail twisty. All of the Surefire designs I like or admired were discontinued most notable being the P60 lights that I still use to this day. How about the Quarks or the Nitecore D10/EX10, an innovative light still. There is a long list for me of designs that were discontinued or changed to a point were they were no longer desirable.

SOS24 and david57strat like this.
  3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I still have an original CMG Infinity. I also have a Thorfire ts07

ZMZ67 and SOS24 like this.
  4. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I kind of wish Fenix had continued making the PD40, an MT-G2 light that runs on a 26650 battery. Great, floody output. I use it all the time at work. I happened to buy it on a group buy, at a killer price, through Budget Light Forums, in May of 2015, and have been readily impressed with its performance. Super solid light.

[​IMG]
    This is an older picture. My real camera is giving me grief, so I haven't shot anything with it, and have been having to use my iPhone (which doesn't come anywhere close in quality, or flexibility.

The PD40 is on the left, pictured next to a Jetbeam WL-S4 (the only other MT-G2 light I own). I picked upthe WL-S4, at a super low price, through an Andrew and Amanda Deal of the Day. Had I know how pleased I was going to be with that light, I'd have purchased at least two of them. Seems the WL-S4 is still available, but I just can't bring myself to paying full price for it.

I see they came out with a newer version of the light, but it's considerably more expensive. Not really interested, in spite of the higher output of the newer version. I kind of wish I had purchased three or four of these lights at that price, back then.

Clearly, hindsight is 20/20.

Last edited by david57strat, Jan 5, 2019
    #4 david57strat, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    SOS24 likes this.
  5. david57strat

Did you say P60? Now you're speaking my language :). I love P60 lights:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm saddened that Solarforce did away with their A001 head. I think it was the nicest one they made.

[​IMG]

Also, their S12 stainless switch seems to be kind of hard to find.

[​IMG]

SOS24, Nick4305 and ZMZ67 like this.
  6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

The Olight S15R and the whole recharging base that many of their models had. OK, maybe their new style of USB cable with round connector isn't so bad but what with the batteries going in the flashlight the wrong way round, I find that an unintuitive thing to do,....personally I thought that they went a bit backwards with the whole design.

SOS24 likes this.
  7. david57strat

I'd say probably at least eighty per cent of we, in these forums, are flashaholics; so you're in good company :).

My family used to joke around with me too, about my fascination with lights, but they finally came around.

I still have my SRT3, that I purchased, used, in 2014, through Candle Power Forums Marketplace. Unfortunately, I lost one of the two screws that held the clip in-place. I kept putting off replacing it. It never happened, so I eventually removed the clip. The remaining screw and the clip are stored away with other miscellaneous flashlight accessories that have accumulated, with new purchases, over the years.

[​IMG]
    Pictured here, with a Nitecore EA11, and a Thrunite T10 Neutral

Really nice feature set on that light. It replaced my SunwaymanV11R cool white light. I felt it had a far better build quality, on the control ring (much smoother, with better resistance, than the V11R - didn't feel flimsy, like the V11R did), and the added features really made it a plus.

The control ring on that V11R eventually locked up on me. Made me sad. But the SRT-3 was everything I loved about the V11R, but with even nicer features, and better build quality.

Nitecore, in general, really pack a lot of interesting features in their lights. I'm a fan lol. I just wish they made more lights with neutral and warmer tints, since I've gravitated more towards those, as opposed to cool white, for the most part.

I suppose I was a Nitecore fanboy for a while:

[​IMG]

I think I've done quick reviews/comments on all of these lights, over the years.

Last edited by david57strat, Jan 5, 2019
    #7 david57strat, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Nick4305 and SOS24 like this.
  8. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I agree with the V11R and SRT3 comparison. The V11R was the first flashlight I had tried with the adjustment ring and what led me to try others. The SRT3 quickly replaced the V11R.

9. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I bought my first quality light in 2009 - a 4Sevens Quark AA. My EDC since then has been one of several 4Sevens/Foursevens lights. I like the form factor, UI, reliability, etc. Fortunately, I had bought several lights/parts prior to them being discontinued and a few others when they were selling their remaining stock at bargain prices.

I'm a flashaholic too, and have quite a few lights that I like and use, but none of them "fit" me like the Quarks.

10. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The discontinued light I miss is the original Fenix e05...

For me this is the perfect EDC light - small enough to disappear in a pocket, a perfect 'general use' output, a 'proper' LED and lens rather than a 5mm domed type and practical enough runtime.
    So far I have yet to find something that quite matches it - the new e05 introduced multiple modes and a twisty switch, the e01 output is just a bit lower than I like and the beam is horrible, and I just haven't found anything comparable in the various other lights I have looked into.

The Fenix UC02 is the closest to a replacement, but though the UI is much nicer than a 'twist off/on to change mode' one, in use it still gets in the way somewhat (though the high setting is admittedly useful).

Similarly, being the luddite I am and averse to elaborate UI, I love the way my L1T works - a click switch with momentary on to power the light, and twist the head to set low/high output (which is a physical switch and can be done with the light off). So far I have yet to see a decent modern alternative, but you never know...

SOS24 likes this.
  11. JIM

JIM Loaded Pockets

The Fenix P1D-CE in OD green..RIP

SOS24 likes this.
  12. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I could have written this.... word-for-word. :unsure:

We're old and set in our ways... (how's it going buddy!)

twin63 and SOS24 like this.
  13. jabe1

jabe1 Loaded Pockets

Foursevens Quark lights... Nitecore smart PD series...Arc AAA.

These are all some of my very favorite lights, for varying reasons.

Quark, for their mode spacing, general feel and the ability to "Legolas" various battery tubes, heads and switches.
    The Nitecores for the fantastic User interface.
    Arc... the original cockroach flashlight. Form follows function.

SOS24, reppans and twin63 like this.
  14. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

My ARC AAA quit on me, but it was an early classic.

15. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Glad I just bought a few E01s. ARC still goin' strong. Use it daily.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SOS24 and twin63 like this.
  16. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

SOS24, twin63 and reppans like this.
  17. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

^^ good one - still my backup after 8 (?) years, and I got another waiting...

[​IMG]

chaosmagnet, JIM, SOS24 and 1 other person like this.