1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Disappointing EDC Purchases, Anyone?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by madlag, Sep 29, 2015.

1. larrym63

larrym63 Loaded Pockets

Biggest gun let down, Ruger Mini 30 . Better club than rifle most money I have ever lost selling a firearm. Larry

ManVsLawn and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  2. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

agree on Field Notes... simply did not hold up, and was even inside a leather cover. Exterior began to wrinkle, then come apart... pages began weakening shortly after. Sad, as I wanted to like them. Ditched them for a RITR stapled notepad. Highly recommend these. madlag, see my notes on experience with moleskine below.

Had a similar issue with Moleskine. After using them for many years for project notes, schematic doodles and planning diagrams for my cabling business, they began to let me down in the Arkansas heat. Pages also tended to bleed if I used my Great Neck 6" stainless pocket ruler for drawing lines... something about the pressure, I guess. Back to the heat/weather related issues: Ink would smear and bleed, and if I dared come anywhere near the page with my sweaty self, I was in all kinds of trouble. Did a trial run with a RITR bound notebook at the end of this summer... all issues remedied.

Ben Rubinstein, O_G and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

you just described prettymuch every knife I own. I never assumed better function would arise from those aesthetic embellishments since a knife's performance come from a blend of user skill and picking the right blade for the task. I buy them because they look cool and i want to play with them. it is a purely recreational thing. some folks play video games, i play with knives.

microbe, BigKurtHaze, Corgi and 6 others like this.
  4. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

JustinJ, and that's AWESOME.

I can't criticize...otherwise my trit fobs would make me a hypocrite. I just regret the one or two I've bought like that.

5. Bedlam

Bedlam Loaded Pockets

Had to think about this, first thought was 'oh I haven't had any' followed quite quickly by 'apart from that.. and that' haha. So, in no particular order!

5.11 MOAB 10. I tried to like it, I really did. And it's not bad in that there's nothing wrong with it. It just really bloody hurt my shoulder to carry! I tend to travel heavy rather than light and having basically the weight of a backpack carried on one shoulder instead of two isn't fun for me.

Trevor Ablett knife. Not a bad knife, but incredibly stiff, to the point that 6 years after buying it and trying to loosen it up it was still stiff as hell. In my infinite wisdom I decided to try drilling through the brass pins that hold it together, idea being I'd take it apart, and redo them. I don't think I drilled through the right bit exactly, and then one of my bits broke off in it. So arguably it's half my fault, but if the knife was reasonably able to open I wouldn't have had to do it in the first place!

Victorinox Swisstool Spirit Plus. Man I just hate it. Build quality is excellent - I can't fault it for that. But the scissors are a pox on humanity for one thing - not the normal SAK scissors, noooo, these horrible, stunted opening pieces of hell are completely useless imo. Then there's no clip, which means it's near impossible for me to carry on a day to day basis in my pocket, which is where I want my multitool. And lastly? It's too shiny.

6. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

The SW are the ones to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn likes this.
  7. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I hate to say it, but PM2.

Really thought it would be my holy grail folder. Everything about it was really well made and it cut like a laser, but it sure was a whole lot of handle for not much blade length. Even being as lightweight as it is, there's just no reason for any knife to take up that much space in my pocket. And if there was, I'd want it to be for a nice big intimidating blade.

As I get deeper into my 30s I find myself valuing smaller gear more. I reserve my G23 for home defense, have a .38 snubbie for carry, and have no desire to own a full-size handgun, for example. Heck, in my current living situation I more often than not end up carrying OC spray and leaving the .38 at home. My next Spydie will be a DF2 once my Sage 1 wears out. And I only own AAA or single-CR123 lights (and save the latter for night emergencies).

8. MORT

MORT Empty Pockets

Bought a pocket whittler, believed the three inch size was when closed, I was wrong!

Ben Rubinstein and ManVsLawn like this.
  9. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

CZ-52 pistol. I think the 7.62 Tokarev round is great but the CZ-52 is too big and awkward to ever feel right in my hand or belt. Its also overly delicate for a service pistol and has a tendency to break small hard-to-find parts.

Luckily I bought mine when they were cheap and made a good profit when I sold mine. :p

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. geoffchan

geoffchan Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Tread.

It's heavy and too wide, expensive and I didn't realize that 17-4 stainless steel has enough Nickel to aggravate my eczema :(

ManVsLawn and Doraemon like this.
  11. knos

knos Loaded Pockets

Every single piece of Cordura 1000 denier lead weight crap I have ever bought (and for some unknown reason I couldn't stop purchasing them). Though, I will say, the jumbo fatboy makes a good baby bag. Used it for our first baby and then pulled out of the closet 9 years later for baby #2.

Pico Pen = sticks to everything else on your keyring.

Surefire = Sure have to send them back to get fixed a lot.

And of course I'm in agreement with everyone on the peanut lighter. It was one of my first "edc gadgets" that I bought years ago. No need to explain it's laundry list of downsides. Still a cool idea...

ManVsLawn, moostapha and Doraemon like this.
  12. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Zippo lighters (dry out too quickly)
    Case pocket knives (lousy fit and finish often)
    Peanut lighters (too hard to use effectively in everyday situations)
    Maxpedition Fatboy, Jumbo, Pocket Organizers Mini & Micro (Just too bulky, and awkward for my regular, everyday uses)
    Leatherman products (current production just not worth the price IMO with several of the MTs)

EDC Items that I was pleasantly surprised by their quality, value, and utility...
    Victorinox Swiss Army Knives
    Fisher Bullet Space Pens
    Good old fashioned strike anywhere matches

13. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

People that complain about Zippos need to use a Thunderbird butane insert

14. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Interesting...this thread seems to have some useful info for newbies. I say this because, I didn't read the thread until after posting my comments above, and was surprised when I went back to read the thread that there is some deal of uniformity in many of the comments (i.e., the Peanut lighters for instance just to name one). Maybe this thread will help some save some money.

15. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

My crkt m21 (alum handle aus 8 version) . looked nice but feels uncomfortable

ManVsLawn and Doraemon like this.
  16. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

This thread should save people some money. :help: I wish it was around when I started lurking.

17. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

No kidding

Dorian and ManVsLawn like this.
  18. The Albino Yeti

The Albino Yeti EDC Junkie

Biggest disappointment-I guess I would go with my Becker BK2. Just not my thing, well made built like a tank heavy use camp/ survival knife, but still in the box unused, never carried.
    Biggest Surprise- victorinox alox black farmer! Awesome knife now I just have to get an orange alox of some type!

ManVsLawn and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Which SureFire models are you using? I've got nearly 2 dozen over the past decade. Zero failures of numerous different models.

Last edited by Monocrom, Nov 19, 2015
    ManVsLawn likes this.
  20. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I've had one go back for service, out of maybe two dozen (mostly vintage) SureFires.

An E1B of mine started to flicker. An intermittent contact issue somewhere, I think, but couldn't find it and fix it myself. Called them, sent it in, they fixed it and sent it back. Nice customer service.

I'm not counting minor things, like switches or clips or bulbs.

EDIT - to clarify, I have been very satisfied with my SureFire flashlights, and would not consider them a disappointing purchase.

In fact, I wish that a lot of the older models hadn't been discontinued and were still available (in updated format).

I might also point out that I've had flashlight failures (at one time or another, of one kind or another) in almost every brand I've used ... from $2 to $2000.

That's why "two is one, and one is none" ;)

Monocrom and ManVsLawn like this.