1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Disappointing EDC Purchases, Anyone?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by madlag, Sep 29, 2015.

1. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

Gerber Dime.

Looked like the perfect keychain tool.

Opened it, tried it & never used it again.

microbe, O_G, Doraemon and 3 others like this.
  2. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've read other members say they are hit or miss.

That means they are a miss, for me.

microbe, O_G, Swe_Nurse and 2 others like this.
  3. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I always really want to like the PPK. But, I just don't. .380 (and .32) suck. The trigger sucks. You can't safely carry with the safety off because it's not drop safe, unless I'm mistaken. The slide is a pitb. The mag release is in a bad place. It's a bit picky about ammo. And it gives me the worst slide bite of anything I've ever shot.

It's a pity, because they're so pretty.

I lost count of the number of times I accidentally carried it through xray machines.

I actually never did it on purpose. Not once. Usually, I'd forgotten it was there. But it came in handy a few times.

4. madlag

madlag Banned

I had whichever one was the 40cal. Man it sucked I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Sold it to someone I didn't really like as revenge lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theirishboxer and ManVsLawn like this.
  5. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Idk....maybe I'm being hard on the ppk. I'd love to own one of the s&w produced ones (with an FP block and longer beavertail, plus american, yo) just to have. But the only ones I've fired had like 12-15# DA triggers. The SA was fine, but...idk, maybe I'm a weakling. I was lucky to hit paper with the first shot at SD ranges. Also, I'm left handed...so I can't even operate the thing correctly.

ManVsLawn, theirishboxer and madlag like this.
  6. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

zippo lighter for my purposes wasn't a good purpose, I don't smoke and it always seemed to be out of juice when I needed it. bic lighters seem to be the way to go for me

Stutz, J_C, O_G and 4 others like this.
  7. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah, unless you use it daily a Zippo isn't really worth it... and I don't plan on starting to smoke just to justify carrying one. :p

Doraemon, ManVsLawn and theirishboxer like this.
  8. yukon2004

yukon2004 Loaded Pockets

1. Fisher bullet space pen - did not care for the writing quality and the clip kept coming off.
    2. Everything Maxpedition, except for my micro wallet. Bags and pouches I've had in the past were not the best quality - I've been much more impressed with 5.11.
    3. ZT 0300. Hated the grip and the feel of it in my pocket.
    4. Ruger LCP. Jammed almost every other shot. Promptly put it away and never touched it - eventually sold it.

MrOG, Doraemon and ManVsLawn like this.
  9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I really like mine and have to wonder if there wasn't some issue with the one you tried?

Mine is a S&W and I shoot it as well as any other in the safe and better than many that I not decided to go for too.
    I have had no issues with reliability at all and it has fed any ammo I have tried too although I understand some can be tricky.

The slide bite is an issue if you are not thinking about it(at least the first time) and of course it is just a .380 and 7 shot or so at that but it is one I plan to never get rid of for sure.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

It's possible.

Really, the big thing was a trigger heavier than Dostoevsky. If I pulled the hammer or burned the first round, I shot it okay...until I noticed how badly my hand was bleeding...which honestly happens with my ham fists and the super high grip I was taught to use on almost everything except 1911s and M&Ps.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  11. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I actually like the utilikey. I have no problem with the bottle opener (hold onto the Phillips end and you won't get cut), though it's probably the least important function on that tool for me anyway. I primarily carry it for the small screwdrivers that have come in handy a few times and the knife edge for those times where I can't keep something better on my keychain.

I think it's important to remember that every tool is a compromise. With it limitations in mind, I have actually found the utilikey to be a really useful part of my keychain carry system.

As Reppans has pointed out above, the utilikey is one of the few cutting tools that will easily bypass most security checkpoints. This alone makes it pretty useful. But I also find that it crams a lot of useful little tools in a very tiny package. Sure, it sacrifice some user friendliness in pursuit of ruthless efficiency, but there is very little else that can do so much with so little space and do it so stealthily. That has earned it a spot on my keychain.

A few people have mentioned peanut lighters and I think this is another item where you need to keep its limitations in mind. First of all the split pea lighter is way too small in my opinion. You cannot carry a significant amount of fuel in it and it's a little too tiny to get a good grip on.

The full sized peanut lighter is another story entirely. It's easy to grip and can fold a fair amount of fluid. Obviously, it won't hold as much as a zippo, but it does hold it longer and the o-ring slows down the flue loss enough that I never get a naphtha burn from the escaping fuel like a normal zippo can give you with pocket carry.

Also, the zippo is much heavier and bulkier than the peanut and cannot comfortably fit on my keys. The peanut is also water resistant, unlike the zippo.

Don't get me wrong, I like disposables too, but overall I find them to be fragile and flaky. The peanut works as long as you keep it full.n personally I use both, but the peanut is wqhat I carry on my keychain.

12. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I suspect that the horrendous double action trigger is part of the design. My brothers Walther PP has a decent singl action trigger but the double action is so bad I would not feel safe trying to use it in a self defense situation. It's a pity that Walther's safety system uses a decocker instead of allowing the pistol to be carried cocked and locked (which would bypass the crappy DA trigger). it really annoys me that so many manufacturers think that you need a manual safety on a gun with a horrible double action trigger but can't figure out that a safety that allows for cocked and locked carry gives you the best of both worlds. CZ got it right, but it seems that the rest of the world is barely aware that there's something better.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Slipjoint

Idk...a lot of people really (claim to) like the heavier first shot for SD just so adrenaline doesn't lead to a premature/negligent discharge.

I don't think I buy it. I think I'd rather train to keep my booger hook off my bang switch until I'm actually ready.

Probably not worth 2 cents, but that's how I see it.

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You just had to bring the booger hook into this didn't you?

I like that.

ManVsLawn, Doraemon and Dorian like this.
  15. madlag

madlag Banned

Some things cannot be un-visualized...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

I do agree with Slipjoint on most of comments he makes about the Utilikey, it's handy and can go with your keys unnoticed etc. But overall the blade does put me off, for me off, too easy to cut myself, perhaps I'm just awkward.

As for Peanuts, well I have. A cheap one, and you can tell it is cheap. I have been thinking about upgrading to a Maratac. But I keep thinking is a peanut too small. A lot of my lighters are used for fire lighting demos with the Scouts, so a range of firelighting equipment is a good thing, well that's my excuse.

I've a couple of Zippo too, but cheap £1 store gas lighters I find are pretty good, refillable again using £1 store tin gas. They are easy enough to light leaving a hand free too and to be honest never fail to light.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Good thing you've never tried a Walther TPH. Now that's some serious slide bite.

ManVsLawn, Dorian and moostapha like this.
  18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

On the moleskines: if you haven't started using them yet, do a test with either gel ink (rollerball in other words) or fountain pen before using either of these types. I also hang out in the Fountain Pen Network; moleskines have developed a bad reputation for bleeding etc with these sort of inks. Not really a problem with ballpoints or pencils.

Also, for what its worth, the Picadilly brand comes in similar sizes and to some extent out performs.

And of course as we always say: YMMV...!

kkay, ManVsLawn and madlag like this.
  19. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

My stint with a Hazard 4 MOD was less than stellar. It did nothing well. Messengers should be easy to get into. It was not, with the handle under the flap, and the two-zipper flap that required 2 hands to open. The upgraded shoulder strap pad was too soft and provided no comfort. It also allowed the bad to swing and slide too easily. Basically, it did nothing better than my Timbuk2 messenger from 1998, so back to Amazon the MOD went. Too bad, because I REALLY wanted to like it.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  20. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

I don't like Peak flashlights.

QTC - Super finnicky, impossible for me to ramp up or down smoothly (brightness wise). Setting the light to moonlight then moving the flashlight would cause huge jump in lumens blinding me at night.

Sloppy quality control - Off center LEDs, ringy + artifact beams, uneven threads that you can twist further than you should with the amount of extra twisting distance varying light to light. Neutral white should be renamed greenish yellow.

Side note/Personal preference for flashlight body materials - I don't see myself ever going for stainless steel, copper, or brass again. Just too heavy for what you get. Ti and Aluminum for me for the forseable future.