1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Disappointing EDC Purchases, Anyone?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by madlag, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

Oh lol mine is the second one. All the above applies to the GambleMade btw. Hmm so the 2nd HK is more flexible? I wonder if they're the same material.

2. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

Not more flexible just spaced wider. I think it's the same material.

Doraemon likes this.
  3. Endless Fugue

Endless Fugue Loaded Pockets

The Foursevens Bolt-Action flashlight. I could have probably gotten past the CR2 batteries, but that UI.. Mode memorization is nice. Until you realize that after using high for something, you are then REQUIRED to cycle through strobe (as it's in the main cycle - low, high, strobe) to go back to low. Ruined the light for me. Had to return the flashlight sadly. I loved the bolt-action though. Just for me strobe should never be in the main cycle. I'm fine with it being mode memorizable, but not included in the main cycle. Just for me ugh.

moostapha likes this.
  4. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

5. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I don't own this light, but I've seen a video of the UI and it appears to be the same as all their other memory mode lights (Penlight, Quark Click), which is pretty unique. If you are cycling from low, then the next mode after high will be strobe, but you turn on high from memory, then the next mode in the cycle is low.

I suppose this is moot now, but you can toggle between low and high (and never hit strobe) with a brief off period on high (which locks it into memory), in other words, a slow click/fast click sequence always takes you directly from high to low. As a low lumen nut, I always do this cycling my memory mode 47 lights to avoid the upper modes.

Endless Fugue likes this.
  6. Endless Fugue

Endless Fugue Loaded Pockets

You are correct.

I should have been a little more thorough in my explanation of the UI to not give an unfair representation of a light due to preferences.
    I know this is probably silly, but my personal preference is I don't want to turn off the light when I have to go up to high to closer inspect something in the dark. I just want to cycle back down to low and go back to what I was doing. (And I would not be using this particular light enough to get the mode memory down) Thus if you do not turn the light off (not a terrible prospect, remember it is a very cool light, just not my cup of tea) you have to go through strobe to get back to low.

You could very quickly pass through that, but I did make a mistake or two and maybe multiple times strobed my girlfriend in the face :( It had to go I was told as I lacked the skill required to use it..

Also I would always want to leave the light in moonlight mode and it was a pain to cycle to it everytime to memorize the mode.

I'm not sure why I assumed that strobe would be a hidden mode, but I did. I really wish it had been.

Here is a good breakdown of the modes I wish I had found before I bought the light. Source subwoofer on CPF (previous is the memorized mode)

"The Bolt-Action has two sets of modes, normal and special.

Normal modes (starting from OFF) are: 'Previous' – Low – High – Strobe
    - 'Previous' can be any mode, normal or special.
    - 'Previous' only occurs once the first time when cycling rapidly through these modes.

Special modes are: SOS – Beacon (High) – Beacon (Low) – Moonlight.

To access Special modes you need to cycle through Normal modes twice, then you enter the Special modes.

So from off this means on repeated switching of the Bolt:
    'Previous' – Low – High – Strobe – Low – High – Strobe – SOS – Beacon (High) – Beacon (Low) – Moonlight

In practice I find this quite difficult to stop in the right place, so count how many 'slides' I need for each Special mode.

From OFF this becomes:

SOS – 8 slides
    Beacon (High) – 9 slides
    Beacon (Low) – 10 slides
    Moonlight – 11 slides

In all cases hold the last slide and rotate the bolt to lock it in that mode.

Once you have selected and use the desired special mode, it then becomes the 'Previous' mode, so you can start with Moonlight if that was the last mode you used."

Last edited by Endless Fugue, Oct 2, 2015
    reppans likes this.
  7. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

My favorite UI feature right there... momentary-max-from-on (i.e., any lower mode in use) :D. Very rare indeed - only have a couple lights that can do it, with the best example actually being a work around (Quark Pro).

Certainly this bolt action does not do it, but "off" is really just nothing more long release, while a cycle is short release (well, in forward "bolt" terms). Agree on the buried low low (moonlight), and why I wouldn't consider this light - "low" is far too bright, and battery consuming, for the majority of my needs.

Endless Fugue likes this.
  8. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

No, none had solar panel (which I'd get, were I to try one more time). It's been a few years, so hopefully, products have improved. My advice, FWIW, is consider Eton or Crane brands. Their product reviews — across most models — seem to be mostly positive. Other, less-prominent brands, produce what I'll call "novelty" crank-radios (in my experience anyway). Eton and Crane have long history with their radio-lines.

FYI, Grundig products (another well-known brand) that are marketed in the USA, are manufactured by Eton.

Millertime1974

9. Millertime1974
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Millertime1974 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the advice!

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I modded mine with a Preon 1 tailcap. I know most folks prefer going the other way. Preon 1 light with clicy Preon 2 tailcap. With my set-up, you get a very low-profile carry.... of what is basically a clip-carried 2AAA battery-holder. Works great if you have a single-AAA keychain light. Also, you get another flashlight for emergencies. :D

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

After reading your post, I checked out the pack on TAD's site. Might be best to sell it. Looks like a winner.

12. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Woodsman's Pal.

I thought it would be a great tool, kinda shorter than a machete, but heavier like a hatchet...

It is a terrible tool. Too short to be effective on anything big, too heavy to be effective on anything small. I wasn't going to "EDC" it, but it was intended for use.

Complete waste of $$$. Item now sits in my garage, modded but still stupid-unusable.

A cheap, Gilmour Snap-Cut machete does better work than the expensive, lifetime warrantied Woodsman' Pal.

13. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

It looks like a parang. But shorter lol

ManVsLawn, madlag and Doraemon like this.
  14. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

Oh oh Wenger nail clipper swiss army knife. Worst nail clipper ever. On the bright side, I can say my nails are stronger than nail clippers.

15. ManVsLawn

I bet a parang works fine.

This this was like swinging a short shovel. The tip came blunt for safety... Please tell me why....I swung it before I sharpened the tip and it felt like caveman club.

theirishboxer likes this.
  16. ManVsLawn

Glad I didn't buy them..

Doraemon likes this.
  17. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Good to know, I'd thought about buying one.

Hmm, I like mine. (Maybe I've only had really cheap clippers before. :D)

Doraemon and ManVsLawn like this.
  18. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Cryo knife, Thrunite ti3 flashlight, Springfield XDs .45 gun, and LAPG 3 Day backpack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn likes this.
  19. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

Yeah most people have no complaints so I think mine is a dud. I sent it back for repairs and it came back the same!

ManVsLawn and CSM-101 like this.
  20. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

If you count shoes as EDC items, then yes. Many disappointments. The biggest disappointments include:

Merrell Moab light hikers. Don't even come close to fitting my feet. Horribly uncomfortable. Wore them two or three times then gave them to a friend who loves them.

Tiva somethingortheother light hiker. Same as above but even a bigger disappointment. Every pair of Teva shoes I've ever owned fit me great and are super comfortable. Not these things. I can tolerate them for a few hours, but then I feel like I've broken my ankles.

I've tried every kind of insole with both brands and nothing helps.

Lessons I've learned from these light hikers..... Stick with Keen's and spend a few extra bucks with Zappo's for their liberal return policy.

ManVsLawn likes this.