1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Disappointing EDC Purchases, Anyone?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by madlag, Sep 29, 2015.

1. madlag

madlag Banned

Ok I didn't see anything like this so here goes:

Who has saved up or been excited to get some EDC item(s) that turned out either to be not what you expected or not as nice as you though? Or maybe something you thought you would use, but didn't?

I'm usually well thought out on what I buy but have been bit several times this year. A couple good examples for me are:

iPad Mini: I just didn't use the stupid thing. Every time it could have seen use, I had my phone in hand and just used it instead.

Apple Watch: Man what waste there...Did i mention I hate charging :censored:?

ZT 0560BW (and its mods): Dudes what can I say here..Its a great knife just not my style. Purposeful, overbuilt design surely meant to be carried tip up:rofl:.

I've since sold all this stuff and lost a few bucks in the process. How about you guys?

2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I haven't had any big purchases that I wasn't happy with yet. Partly because I don't make a lot and partly because I try to do my homework and if possible actually handle the item first. I've had a few cheaper things that I've been disappointed in though. One was a mag solitaire. It was only a couple of dollars but it's so dim I can hardly tell it's on even in the dark. Also any swisstech item I've ever tried. They all are too heavy and bulky and don't work the way I want them to. I for some reason still like the company because I keep thinking that eventually they will make a really great tool.

3. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Peanut lighter. Sounded like a great idea, but it lasts maybe three weeks longer than a Zippo. :nah_disagree: Waste of money.

Nenavist, Doraemon, Monocrom and 7 others like this.
  4. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Cryo: Not a bad knife, but not my style. Gave it away to my nephew.

Kershaw Blur: Great knife, too big for my needs. Sold it to a friend at work.

Kershaw Skyline: Great knife, but overlapped with others I like better (Spyderco Delica, in particular). Gave it to a friend at work who had a cheap knife, and he loves it.

Kershaw Scallion: Nice little knife, carried it for a while, but really didn't need assisted opening. Gave it to a friend who is a professional painter, he gets a lot of use out of it.

(Note - if you see a trend here, it's nothing against Kershaw knives. I think they are great values for the money and still have a couple (Chive and Leek). I just changed my knife direction to mostly slipjoints and SAKs.)

Victorinox SwissCard: Not my thing, gave it away (in a forum GAW here some time back).

Bersa Thunder 380: A fine gun, perfectly reliable, very accurate, fun to shoot. Only drawback is the .380 ammo. At the time I got it there were not many small single-stack 9mms to choose from. Now there are, so for the size I prefer a more potentially effective round. Bought it for carry, but don't carry it.

5. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm going to double down on this comment.

I bought the CC Split Pea titanium lighter with high hopes. The insert would go flying out of it whenever 'flicked' it for fire. The fuel would dry up after 3 weeks or so. I always felt I had to check/fill it.

I don't need a lighter that requires weekly maintenance. I'll stick to Bics. Cheap enough to not worry about, because I have umpeenth more of them stashed around.

microbe, Nenavist, Doraemon and 7 others like this.
  6. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Chiappa Rhino 200D
    Loved it because:
    1. Six-shot snubbie in .357 Magnum that was easy to carry for daily CCW. A powerhouse!
    2. Polarizing looks (I actually thought it looked cool as h***)
    3. Extremely comfortable ergonomics; shooting .357 out of a snubbie was completely tolerable thanks to the unusually low bore axis.
    4. Fit and finish was top notch.
    5. Trigger was very smooth and not too heavy...at first. But then...

Disappointed because:
    1. The trigger mechanism wore down very quickly, making it miserable to shoot. It still worked, but I no longer felt comfortable carrying it.
    2. My few emails with Chiappa echoed the general internet sentiment of poor customer service :mad:.

Yeah, yeah, before I receive a litany of "I told you so's" about how abnormally complex and potentially unreliable the lockwork was is/was, I have to say it didn't have that many more parts than a traditional pistol. They were, however, fairly intricate and required a higher than normal degree of precision to operate properly. It's too bad, because the design works, in theory and in practice...for the most part...until it doesn't. I really wanted to love it, but it wasn't meant to be.

Lessons learned? Stick with what works and with companies that stand behind their products.

7. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Maxped Kodiak...

Schweinhund, kertap75, madlag and 2 others like this.
  8. F.Todd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

F.Todd Loaded Pockets

One of those versapack shoulder sling EDC bags...It held everything nicely, but I just couldn't bring myself to sling it around town. Maybe more disappointed in myself than the actual bag.

9. WheelgunBob

WheelgunBob Loaded Pockets

Gerber Artifact. Could not bring myself to carry an Exacto in my pocket. It got it on principle early on in my EDC awakening and subsequently got a Shard, which because it is also generally pointy, also does not get carried.

10. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Hazard 4 Kato

11. Millertime1974
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Millertime1974 Loaded Pockets

Disappointed because it felt like a murse (manpurse)?

ManVsLawn, madlag and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  12. MedicYeti

MedicYeti Loaded Pockets

My own fault. I found a sling bag on eBay that looked small enough to EDC but big enough to actually carry some items.
    The people modeling it must have been midgets and the picture of the bag had dimensions in cm. When I got it the thing was so small I couldn't use it, or wear it.
    On a positive: my 6 year old son used it for zoo camp, it held a bottle of water and his sunglasses and he got to have a bag "just like daddy".

Replete, kkay, xbanker and 6 others like this.
  13. Ben Rubinstein

Both my Queen knives. A small Lockback and a Copperhead. Big prices, sup par build even if they were cheap Chinese. I sent the first copperhead back, the second was almost not too terrible. I've sent them both back to the US to be reground for a decent FFG and sharpen. Waiting to get them back to see if they are finally usable. No excuse for the build quality though. Ordered my first Northwoods. A Willamette Whittler in blue camel bone. It's beautiful beyond belief but I use a pocket knife for eating food and I can't get past the taste the carbon blades give. I still like it too much to sell on though. My first Opinel never loosened up enough to open easily, it died when I was trying to pry it open one time. The second one however with some judicious treatment, has been perfect.

14. madlag

madlag Banned

WOW, glad its just not me ;)...

Yea I hear you guys on the murse...I love the concept but can bring myself to carry a man bag around while at the grocery store. The peanut lighter also crossed my mind but for the reasons mentioned above I passed on that one thank goodness...

15. Millertime1974
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Millertime1974 Loaded Pockets

Try the ranger band + BIC mini lighter combo for the keychain if you must pocket carry a lighter (my wife smokes so by default I often carry around a lighter to be thecool guy that offersthelady a light!)

16. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I have several, some of which I still use. And some of this is stuff people really like.

1. Vertx edc satchel.

The strap pad was the best I've seen, and I still use it. The bag itself got donated to good will. It's REALLY bulky and thick for its capacity and pretty much all of the cool organization and quick access stuff doesn't work. Part of it was designed by people who don't use bags...the Velcro keeper for the tiny document/tablet pocket in the back goes over the zipper for one of the mesh compartments, for example. The stability waist strap...is a waist strap. You have to choose between it riding around your thighs and impeding movement or wearing the bag so high it impedes access.

It's a bad bag.

2. Every backpack ever (TAD Litespeed, Trident-20, etc.).

I harp on this a lot. They're GREAT for transporting stuff from one place to another and carrying a good bit of weight over a long distance on foot. But, they're either heavy or fragile, and they just don't work for a slim, minimal edc system. I wouldn't use anything else for a GHB, and I don't think I'll ever use anything else for a range bag unless I have enough junk to justify a huge rolling pelican.

They're just wrong for EDC.

3. Every midrange knife in existence.

For every $100-180 knife I've ever had, there's a $60 knife (usually spyderco, Kershaw, buck, or in some cases rebranded Chinese) that is 95% of the way there. Maybe it's a little harder to sharpen or maybe you have to add your own loctite...but the incremental advantage just isn't there.

4. Every "baroque" knife ever.

Now...I tend not to buy these. And I will never criticise someone for buying something like this just because it's cool. But every knife I've seen over about $350 seems like it's cool more because it's exclusive or because it has some purely aesthetic garnish (hence the term baroque). Titanium is cool, but aluminum, g10, etc. are lighter and cheaper. Damascus steel looks great...but it isn't necessary for anything.

It's an attitude thing. If you're buying jewelry, that's cool. But it's not more functional.

I admit my microtech autos are basically just cool. They're also functional, but it's really not $200 worth of improvement over a lighter, more robust, semi-custom fixed blade that does literally everything better.

And acting like these things are worth it for performance reasons just irks me.

5. TAD Covert RS pants.

They're hotter than I expected.

The stitching is pretty meh for the price. I don't think it's going to give out, but it looks like the old adage, "if you can't tie knots, tie lots", but with a sewing machine.

There are a lot of pockets, but some of them are just useless. The welt pockets impede movement (probably worse because I carry appendix). The d-rings just look bad, more so if you actually use them...they should probably be on the sides. The mag pockets drop things unless they fit perfectly. And all of the pockets sag BADLY if you clip anything to them. In middle school, I occasionally wore jncos with a 12 pack of soda crammed in the pockets, and apart from ~20 years of changing style...they looked better.

6. Sig P938

It shot okay, after I followed the advice of a sig forum poster's advice to flatten the crap out of the seer spring to bring the trigger weight down from a staggering 11 pounds to an almost reasonable 6. (He claimed to be a sig armorer)

But, the gun just isn't safe. The drop safety (firing pin block) fails open...so if the thin, weak piece that pushes it up breaks, the firing pin moves freely. The trigger can disengage the seer with the safety activated so the hammer drops when you disengage the safety. I've heard tell of like 3 people who have shot themselves this way. It's a bad 1911 clone that is not safe to carry C1.

And the mainspring housing can wear from normal use in such a way that it drops the seer spring. Depending on where it moves, the gun either refuses to fire or goes full auto...I've heard reports of both and seen one full auto failure on video. Both of these are terrible in a DGU...just imagine a gun that small dumping 8 rounds in a second or so when you expect to fire one.

Also, my front sight trit insert fell out...and it's not like I abused it.

It's a horrible gun, and it scares me that they're so popular. I sold mine at a terrible loss to a guy who knows about the issues and just wants it to put on a shelf or something...or at least that's what he said. I hope he never uses it. I hope no one ever uses them.

7. Chip McCormack 8 round 1911 mags.

I have like 6 of them. 2 of them work right. The others tend to drop their baseplates and eject all of their internal when dropped from the gun at normal height. I think 2 of them are out of commission because I never found all the pieces.

8. Dawson Ice 1911 magwell.

It works, but without reapplying loctite every several hundred rounds, the screw that holds it to the MSH will back out just enough that mags neither insert nor drop correctly. It's annoying when it happens in the middle of a stage...and my mag changes are just as fast with it off.

9. Springfield RO

Mine has been nothing but problems. My gunsmith and I have changed all of the springs to fix light strikes, cycling problems, slide lock issues, etc.. Along with other parts. I've run it from basically dry to dripping with no real change. And, this is my fault, for competition, I would just prefer hot .40 to .45 because .45 just feels slow.

I want to get rid of it, but it's too messed up for a 1911 aficionado and its too unreliable for a competitor.

10. Dale Fricke Seraphim holster

Omg it's terrible. I bought it because I kind of bought into Gabe Suarez's sales pitch...it's insanely thick and bulky kydex. I'm pretty sure it could make an LCP print through a man tent. And this is just a preference, but the pull the dot loops are stupid and unreliable. Yeah, it kind of protects the optic, but it's not like I've had problems with it exposed...and the Seraphim still exposes the optic to lint, rain, and general gunk that will always build up if you keep it ready to use.

11. Google Glass

Okay...it's kind of world changing for a few specific use cases. It's a great head-mounted camera. I've recorded stages and dry-fire sessions with it, taken a lot of pictures that I would have missed without carrying a camera in the equivalent of high ready. I've never used a better driving or cycling GPS. And it's fantastic for "texting" while driving or working with hour hands (it will read them to you and reply with voice hands free). It could easily be extended to provide photo/video evidence of criminal activity (as in, the victim is wearing it). I actually developed a POC app for this my last semester in college, but no one cared. And it's PERFECT for recording interactions with police, if you're so inclined.

But, it's a $1500 face computer that still hasn't made it to a commercial release. AFAIK, there are no plans for a commercial release. I can't go ANYWHERE without answering questions about it. And I'm seriously concerned about it being used for illegal or just immoral surveillance because of Google and Sergey Brin's ties to the CIA.

I've made a lot of expensive gear mistakes. I'm wondering if my fanny pack is going to be the next one.

Replete, Stutz, Brtsmpsn and 6 others like this.
  17. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Almost everything I buy... I'm NOT disappointed by myself buying some flashlights, because I use them the most. I don't mix knives here because a knife is a knife, will do every knife job done, sheepsfoot or long belly, doesn't matter a lot to me, but flashlights have a whole different role, a keychain flashlight can't throw 200m and a thrower can't be used to light up 1m in front of me while I just got up from bed in the morning when it's still dark (yes it will, but my eyes will tear in pain).
    *** Some bags and organizers, one opens like a book, one stays on belt, they are all great quality (Cordura with YKK), proven to be hard users, and organized the best way I can possibly imagine, but too bulky for my pockets, slow to reach my wanted thing from it, but too small to fit in my bag and sometimes hard to find in the mess...
    *** Some MTs like the Wingman and Swisstool. They never ever dropped me down, but too heavy and big to be attached on my keychain and be with me everywhere I go.
    *** The things I'm NOT disappointed at purchasing are all those I carry the most, for example by TT combat pack backpack witch I was using everyday when I was going at my workplace, walking 40min with food and water in it for 12h (and off course knives, MTs, flashlights and organizers with similar stuff within them). Also not disappointed with my brick phone that is resistant to water, dust and falls from 2m and the most beloved feature is that it holds battery very well, up to 20 days without talking and about 10 days with talking and playing music (not 'non stop' but occasionally).

18. Ben Rubinstein

Forgot about my most recent disappointment. Field Notes, 3 pack ruled. My Clairefontaine notebooks are 10 times the notebook for 1.5 times the price. About to put in another order for them actually. Finishing one every two months at the present rate.

19. madlag

madlag Banned

I pretty much agree with everything you said here...especially those :censored: chip mags:mad:

thePlumbah, moostapha and ManVsLawn like this.
  20. madlag

madlag Banned

Yes the field notes are weak IMO. I recently switched over to the moleskins.

ManVsLawn likes this.