1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Direct Action small and regular messenger bags overview

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Hi its me, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I got both of direct actions messenger bags and thought I'd post some pics and some first impressions.
    First is the small messenger with some pockets added

The strap on the small messenger is only 1 1/2 inches instead of 2 so it's not super comfortable,A 2 inch strap like the regular would have been great.

The straps don't have swivels like the vanquest envoy messenger bags so if they twist you have to untwist them yourself.

Both bags have waist straps that attach to the d rings on the back,it not super big so really 'big' guys may have to make there own.

Both bags have a pocket on the back,i just didn't get a pick of the small ones pocket,it's the same as the regular one.

I like the small one better because it's small enough to add my own pouches without being to big.

The bottom of both bags have a really tough plasticky coating thats pretty rough.

After attaching and removing a pouch with malice clips a few times the laser cut edge was beginning to fray in at leat one spot,pretty telling about the durability of the stuff if you ask me.

I would like the built in organizer pockets on the regular bag to open wider,they don't really open enough to be putting small stuff at the bottom.

I'm keeping both and and really like the smaller one,the regular one will probably grow on me too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by Hi its me, Apr 2, 2015
    Nick4305, panzer and earthman like this.
  2. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

Regular messenger bag

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shock cord velcro insert doesn't come with bag,i bought it from ITS tactical
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by Hi its me, Apr 2, 2015
    Nick4305 and panzer like this.
  3. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

neat looking bag, I would be interested to hear what you think after using it for a while

4. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I edited in some stuff i think about them right now.
    I posted all the pics from my phone and wanted to type from my pc.

theirishboxer likes this.
  5. cowboyarcher

cowboyarcher Loaded Pockets

Any more thoughts on these? The larger one looks nearly perfect for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

I'm interested to hear how they hold up. My DA Dust has been in constant daily use for several months with no issues, cosmetic or with build quality and I would assume the messenger bags are built with the same care.

7. navraster

navraster Loaded Pockets

I've been using a regular size Direct Action messenger for several months now, and I really like it. I rarely use the laser cut MOLLE, so the fraying mentioned above has not been an issue. I wish the bag as a whole was several inches wider and deeper, but it has not been a major issue for day to day use. I do find it too small to travel with.

I absolutely love that the bag will stand up on its own. The material doesn't feel bombproof tough, but durable enough to last some time. (Somewhere in between the true tactical brands and most commercial stuff.) I think the pockets are generally well laid out, but would also like to see more range on the front pocket zippers. The water bottle pocket could be bigger, but it will fit a 32 oz Camelbak (not a 32 oz Nalgene.)

My bag is the gray version and gets lots of compliments. I find the shoulder strap very comfortable, though I don't carry the bag for an extended period of time. My previous bag was a Red Oxx Metro, and even though this bag is smaller, I find the organization way more useful. I normally hate bags with flaps, but this one doesn't bother me for some reason. Maybe because the velcro strips come with silencers on them?

I've read some complaints about computers not fitting the laptop sleeve - the Dell XPS 13 and a 2012 Macbook Air fit fine. No way would a 15" fit.

Overall, I feel the messenger is fairly priced, and I would purchase a larger, similarly designed bag in a heartbeat.

8. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M Empty Pockets

EXCELLENT REVIEW SIR

:)

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just to add my own recent experience with these.
    I bought the big one to use with my 13" Macbook Pro that has a shell on it and this will not fit in the laptop sot which is pretty frustrating for me.
    I want to love this bag but because of this I am not even sure I will keep it?

Otherwise the bottle holder seems pretty bad to me and the overall construction seems good but the material a little light weight as has already been mentioned.

I recently see that Vanquest is revising their bags to better fit computers with the shells on them and it is a small diffence in dimension needed but would make this otherwise great bag usable for me overall.

So I would say just try to make sure it will fit what you need too even though I thought that I had and was wrong.

10. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I sent the big one back to them and got a refund,i didn't really like they way the pockets were laid out.
    I never really used the small one so i'm selling it,just not my thing :bye:

Glad my review was helpfull though :)

11. JoeyJelly

JoeyJelly Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review, as I was eyeing this bag for my work carry. Which ZULU pouch is that? Fatboy?

12. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

Yeah its the fatboy.
    sorry for the late reply.

13. gfouts15

gfouts15 Empty Pockets

I bought the small for work to see if it would be a light and functional travel bag. I really like it a lot with it being able to host my Surface Pro, iPad mini, and various other things snugly. I added a Kifaru organizer pouch and a Hsgi water bottle taco pouch on one end which helps extend the functionality. It is almost perfect. I just find the carry handle a bit irritating and awkward. I am having a custom piece made for the back to act as a luggage handle sleeve which will hopefully solve the issue with keeping the bag on top of my carry-on. Once that is done and hopefully working, I think I will have a great messenger bag which is light and functional. I wanted to get the large but it looked too big for what I was needing.