1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Digital Camera for a first timer.

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by [digidude]., Jun 27, 2018.

1. [digidude].

[digidude]. Loaded Pockets

Any advice to a newbie looking to buy a digital camera for the first time? I've tried searching on google but all the different cameras available make it kind of difficult for someone who knows nothing about them. I'm planning to do some traveling in the near future and I would like a good camera to take along. I would prefer not to spend a fortune, however, I'm not opposed to putting some cash down for a quality item. Also, I like to travel light, so the more compact the better.

2. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Point & shoot? DSLR?

Please provide some details on the types of pictures you expect to be taking.

3. [digidude].

Point and shoot. Basically taking generic vacation photos, no fancy photography here.

4. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I use a Canon Poweshot Elph which cost around $100 or so for point and shoot. I have used the camera in a weeklong backcountry campout.

#4 garza, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

You've decided your camera on your phone is not adequate? Conceivably, if you're carrying the phone anyway that would be the lightest and most compact you can have with you.

Moshe

kikaida likes this.
  6. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Multiple advantages to using a dedicated camera vs using your phone.

The same is true with my Garmin DriveSmart 50 NA when I am driving west or in Canada in known cell dead spots. I prefer to use my own GPS was instead of incurring an additional rental car fee.

7. [digidude].

Yeah, no cell phone pictures, I want a proper camera. I looked up the Canon Poweshot, thats about what I'm looking for, price is pretty good too. Hows the overall quality? Any complaints overall? If I get could get something decent in that price range, I'd be a happy customer.

8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have had no issues with mine. I am able to take pictures with one hand.

9. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Try one of the Sony RX100 models. I think they are up yo the version V or VI. Compact , 1” sensor nice fast zoom. I still carry my version II.

Journo likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I have also used a Canon PowerShot. Nothing fancy in what I was doing, but I was happy with it and found it also easy to use for uploading to my Apple MacBook Pro.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

11. [digidude].

MCPOWoller - Sony RX100 looks nice, a bit more pricey then the powerchot, but more feature filled I'm guessing.

Moshe ben David - Not fancy is usually my preference on things.

12. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

For a little tighter of a budget you could easily go for a Canon G9 or G7X II.

13. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Canon s120 is a nice very compact option (s110 is even smaller but also a bit older) and will allow you to learn more about photography if you are so inclined but make sure you get one thats been treated nice!

14. sld

sld Loaded Pockets

Canon S110is a nice camera. I’ve EDC’d one in by bag for the last couple of years. Full auto to manual, takes very good pictures and good battery life.

15. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I think a stand alone camera still has its value. If you're out sight seeing or touring, using your camera phone eats up your battery. Nothing beats a cell phone camera when it comes to spur-of-the-moment impromptu shots of course, plus its way more convenient. But when you're on vacation and out and about, using your phone for other things, as well as using the camera can use up the battery. I remember when my wife went on a trip the other year and I asked her to bring out point and shoot, she declined and said she would just use her the camera of her phone. She ended up coming home with very few shots because having the phone camera on would use up the battery.

16. dan.05

dan.05 Loaded Pockets

There are 2 main stables, Nikon and cannon. Other brands like Sony and Pentax are also great but they don’t have the popularity of the main two for some reason.

I use Nikon just because it is what I started with and what I am used to. Any camera in the 3000 range is good for a beginner and doesn’t cost a fortune. Usually comes with lens packages too. They do most of what the big boys do and if you kill it, it wasn’t expensive.

I started with a d3200 and have a d3400 until I can afford a d800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gogogordy likes this.
  17. Joseph08

Joseph08 Loaded Pockets

I would be suggesting Nikon D3500 for beginners.

18. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Look at Lumix/Panasonic point and shoots..