1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

different Zippo qualities?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Hagbard81, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Hagbard81

Hagbard81 Loaded Pockets

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to use one of my Zippo's, refilled it just to find out that the flint needs to be replaced.

So I grabbed another one. And this one felt so much better. The feel in hand, the action, the sound, just everything.
    Like they were made by two different companies.

Is there an explanation for this?

This is the perfect one. I bought it in the US (California) back in 1999.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It feels much superior to this one which was bought in Germany approximately around 2015.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem SM-G986B mit Tapatalk

Nick4305 likes this.
  2. TNRonin

TNRonin Loaded Pockets

That brass one looks like a candidate for an ammonia treatment. Put a nice patina on it.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

#2 TNRonin, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  3. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

The older or the more expensive modern ones IMHO do feel better. I can't prove it by anything more than how they feel in my hand but it seems once they dropped the roman numeral date codes and indention on the bottom of the case the quality started dropping a bit. Seems to me the older ones it took longer for the hinge to loosen up and the cases were slightly thicker.

4. Hagbard81

Hagbard81 Loaded Pockets

Seems like the gold plated 1998 Zippo is selling for good money nowadays

Gesendet von meinem SM-G986B mit Tapatalk

5. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I guess it is the case with all things made today. Sub par. We have become a consumer society. If you make something that will last a lifetime you won't make as much money. Simples

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

6. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I always appreciated the armor versions. I'm not sure if they even still make them, but they were 1.5 times as thick or something and seemed more robust in the hand. And they do loosen up over time, armor or not. I moved on to a Prometheus designs full titanium zippo-esque clone and my zippos just sit in a drawer anymore, unless I decide to light up a pipe, then I grab one with the pipe insert.

Grizz

7. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

The Armor versions are/were made with thicker metal, yeah, so naturally they'll feel more robust in the hand. I've got some old Zippos that belong to my father, a newer one from the late 90s, and a much newer one I got in a subscription box a few years ago. All normal versions, and honestly they all feel the same in the hand. None are the armor version though, all standard stainless/brushed chrome units, and one brass unit. All have the same heft and feel when you flick them open, and the guts are all the same across the board, differing only in silver/chrome finish or brass finish.

If there is a quality difference between old production and new, I don't see it. Zippo built a reputation, if not an entire industry, around their lighter design to the point it's been endlessly copied and even they apparently don't see a need to innovate. Other lighter designs have come out; Arc Lighters, Butane inserts, o-ring-sealed models to prevent leaks and/or evaporation.... all improvements over the original Zippo design, and all of them improvements that someone other than Zippo brought to market and Zippo only played catch up when the ideas caught on. To this day Zippo does not make an o-ring sealed model that I'm aware of, despite fuel evaporation being the number 1 complaint people have with the lighter. So if Zippo's changed their production at all over the decades, it was only to cheapen the product because they sure as heck haven't tried to improve it.

These days there are just better lighter designs for almost any need. Like the Buck 110 or the Aladdin insulated cup, it's a product that has been functionally replaced by better designs and only continues to exist because of its own legacy.

8. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

My only issue with the armor version is they use the same exact hinge and with the extra weight of the lid they seem to loosen up faster. I only own 2 of them so my opinion is limited.