1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Different Calibers ?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by MrReady, Nov 14, 2009.

1. MrReady

MrReady Empty Pockets

I have a CCW license and I carry a .45ACP or a S&W Snub 38 Special. I carry extra mags and
    a speed strip. I also carry extra 7.62 and 22 cal ammo as well. I mostly carry extra .45 but does
    anyone else carry a few different calibers in a EDC bag ?

I dont carry my rifes around in my car or anything but if something were to go down I could
    grab my rifle(s) and leave the house without trying to mess around with looking for ammo. Not
    much of a big chance of that happening but I am sure thats what people say before some crazy
    man decides to go on a shooting spree at a mall etc. I just like to be somewhat ready. I just
    wonder does anyone keep extra ammo in thier EDC other than pistol ammo.

2. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

If you routinely worked with, or were otherwise in routine contact with people who utilized those different calibers (I'm thinking military or law enforcement), than it could be easy to justify. As a private civilian, I'm not sure what good several pounds of ammo would do with no weapon from which to fire it. It weighs you down and takes up space. If it makes you feel more secure, hey, do what makes you feel good. I'm worried that having that extra ammo could make you a target for theft (if left in a vehicle), or worse, a target for someone who feels that they need it more than you do, e.g. an attacker who is running low on ammo suddenly realizes there is a fresh supply nearby. I realize you are already carrying a piece for self defense, I'm just saying to weigh the pros and cons, that's all.

Instead, just keep a few magazines loaded within the vicinity of your secondary firearm. If you need it in a hurry, grabbing a couple mags shouldn't take but a second longer. If you are worried about not finding ammo in time, do some drills. Set up a few dry runs and see how much longer it takes you to load up firearms and ammo together, vice separately. Even better, get an Active Shooter's bag and pre-load some mags. That way, if you find yourself grabbing a rifle in a hurry, all you have to do is throw the bag over your shoulder and high-tail it.

For me, I keep my weapons and ammo locked separately. I have small children at home and want to keep it as safe as possible, while still having my last resort available. Because they are separate, I will occasionally run a drill to see how long it takes to get to "weapons hot". It's tedious, but it's my personal choice, and the extra safety for my children is worth it to me.

3. Bag Boy

Bag Boy Loaded Pockets

I would recomend getting a seperate bag (i.e. BOB) designated for rifle ammunition, extra magazines, etc. Keep it with your longarms so shoul the occasion arise it's there for you ready to go. I really can't see a reistic reason for carrying ammunitions for a firearm that isn't with you.

4. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Putting the wrong ammo in a gun/magazine is a good way to KB it.

5. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

I would keep a separate go-bag for the rifles.

Seriously.

6. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi,

I have to agree w/ everybody else on this one. I would really need to have a specific set of circumstances to come up with a good plan for you if there was a need for it. I just came up with a unique circumstance for extra ammo if I thought there was a need for myself.

I just obtained a really unique custom (neck knife type) kydex holster for my NAA .22 mini revolver. I dont plan to ever carry it, as it is really an inaccurate toy, and I carry a SP-101 .357 as a back up in my vest holster on my body armor when I am at work.

However as a last ditch off duty second gun (I am allowed to pretty much carry anything I want off duty where I work), if I was carrying it, I suppose it would be nothing to throw a box of 50 stingers with my EDC stuff and maybe even a small box, I think they come in a 10 or 20 pack of CCI snake shot, if it was with me while I was camping. But in the real world it probably already be loaded with snake shot already if it was with me if I was camping, as I dont really think it would be good over 7-10 feet even on a snake.

And I wouldn't really want to find myself in a position to need something without any real stopping power even in a last ditch senario. I usually carry a 1911 full size or sometime a Light Weight Commander, .45.

7. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I would keep the ammo out of a BOB/GHB. Get a good case for rifle and add an ammo bandolier to it. Or even better, a small bag to store your ammo. I use a craftsman medium tool bag as a range bag.
    If the poop hits the fan I just grab my BOB, rifle case and range bag. Its got more than enough to hold me over. I don't plan for WWIII or WWZ, but it would be easy enough to gear up by having a large, heavy duty bag for ammo. Two rifle bags, one for rifle another for shotgun. Small pistol bag for pistols, mags, cleaning kits etc...

8. MrReady

MrReady Empty Pockets

Good stuff guys, very good points. When I read what you guys said
    it makes so much sense. I guess its one of those ideas that seem
    good . . .at the time lol. Why carry extra ammo for a firearm I dont
    readily have.

9. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

This might be a stretch but how about carrying a handgun and long gun of the same caliber? You might be limited to a lever action/pistol combo in .45 LC or .357 but you could then have ammo at the ready for both that would still pack a punch over a .22.

10. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

Mr. Ready:

I honestly think you are over doing it. The .45 and the .38 I get but I seriously think it's pointless to carry ammo for guns you don't even have with you. You said that you carry the extra .22 and 7.62 so that if you ever have to go home grab you're rifles and go you don't have to look for ammo. I've got a simple solution for you: Leave the Ammo at Home. Leave it with your rifles, that way if you ever have to grab your rifles and go you won't have to search for ammo it will be right there with them. Plus, it'll save you from carrying around extra, and may I add USELESS, weight with you on a daily basis.

C. Glock

11. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

April 29, 1992. It was a warm spring day in Los Angeles, and the missus and I headed to a local, legal and licensed private shooting range in the nearby San Gabriel Mountains for some much needed proficiency shooting practice.

Lo and behold, that afternoon, we left the range after expending ALL of our ammo. NOTE: CCW is essentially impossible in Los Angeles County, so we didn't have any.

Driving to our stylish yet modest West Side home, we noticed some 'urban unrest', as evidenced by burning vehicles and buildings, and unusually high numbers of emergency vehicles on the freeway. Turning on the local all-news, all the time station (KFWB?) we discovered that the Rodney King jury had come back, and a few of the local choral group members were unhappy with the results....

So, we're in our car, with roughly 20 various firearms, and no ammunition for any of them. Oh, and we inadvertently drove into the impacted area, no real alternative to it unless we decided to not go home at all.

The moral of the story: We now keep a plastic ammo box (dry box) in each vehicle, loaded with an assortment of ammunition for the common calibers we might have, just in case. We carry:
    5.56 SS109 1 battle pack + 20 rnd tracer
    12 ga 50 rnds total, in bandoleer shot slug buck tracer and breaching
    .357 18 rnds 125 JHP +P+ 6 rnds 158 gr +P+ 6 Corbon, 6 Tracer 6 shot
    .45 50 Rnds corbon
    .22 LR 200 rnds CCI minimag HP
    9mm 50 rnds 6 tracer 44 Corbon
    .308 1 battle pack + 12 tracer, 12 APIT
    7.62x39 1 battle pack + 12 tracer

Since there is at least a theoretical risk of vibration causing reduced powder grain size (and increased firing pressures) we recycle the ammo twice a year, using it for practice.

12. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Some crazy starts shooting up the local mall and you're going to run home, grab your long gun, and go back to the mall to do your Hondo Harrelson impersonation? Sounds like a good way to, at the very least, get arrested and at worst get shot. Unless you have a brightly colored t-shirt that says, "Don't shoot I'm a good guy."

Having some extra ammo for your carry weapon makes sense; in your case two calibers for your two different carry weapons . If you feel you'd encounter a situation that would require you to leave the house in a hurry with a long gun, then have a go bag just for that.

13. protaganis

protaganis Loaded Pockets

I have a dry box (rubbermaid action-packer) in the garage with 200 rnds .308, 410 and 12 gauge (100 each buck and slugs for the shotguns), 300 rnds 9mm and 5.7mm, 100 rnds .45lc, 2000 rnds .22.
    I have a duffel bag in my home with varying amounts of ammo in those same calibers, building up to the same quantity that gets swapped out every 6 months or so (makes for a great range day).
    Since I always have a BOB in the car, I can toss the box in there and divide the stuff up in a real emergency, otherwise, it stays in reasonable proximity to my firearms.
    As for my vehicular carry, typically I have 5 rnds .45lc, 20 rnds 410 (buck and slug), 60 rnds 9mm (or 5.7mm depending on what I'm carrying at the moment, that's either 3 or 4 mags) and 22 rnds 12 ga. in buck and slug.
    I tend to carry heavy compared to my coworkers, but then again, they also tend to ask me to lend them stuff like my multitool or SAK, so I feel no shame in toting a bit more than most (heck, I even pack a spare toothbrush in case we get stuck on a extra long shift).

14. MrReady

MrReady Empty Pockets

Well I wouldnt run home then come back. However I would have plent of carry ammo for the
    weapon(s) I do have. That was just one example. I also dont walk around 24/7 with this bag.
    Sometimes it stays in the car.

15. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

I am not sure how I feel about this catagory. Well compared to all the people I know and some of you on this site, I am guilty of walking around almost naked when it comes to firepower and extra ammo. I must admit I am somewhat embarassed. When I am not traveling out of town, I usually only have 9 rounds of .45 Gold Dot, 1 eight round wilson mag and 1 in the pipe. Not to blow my own horn, my agency and another small agency qualifies together. Out of all 60 officers I always have the best scores in pistol, rifle (AR-15), and shotgun. I hope it is not just luck.

When I travel, I usually go to extremes with guns, but still a little light on ammo, probably less than 200 rounds. I probably should carry more locally and away. I am not familier with California so I dont want to sound negative or pass judgement. Flight doc, if you are really a long distance from home, more power to you, you will make it home when others wont. I know that if I only had a short distance to travel to my home, I would still want to have only a coupple of hundred rounds unless there was some major terrorist incident going on or something serious going on.

My issue is that I would s_ _t myself if I got involved in a legitimate shooting, where I was in the right and I had to account for and justify why I had one to two thousand rounds of ammo with me in the car. I could see going from good guy to bad guy or nut case real fast in some peoples opinions, espicially if there was a civil trial, which there is bound to be.

Dont get me wrong, if s_ _t hit the fan, I would probably need a shopping cart to load and unload my truck. I guess if you are not in a real anti gun area like Washington D.C. or NYC. one would not be looked poorly upon with a loaded up range bag or loaded up 50 cal ammo can.

Cliff

16. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

If you carry a semi-auto, you should carry at least one extra magazine. Even if you are completely convinced that additional ammo won't be necessary, what happens if you need to fix a stoppage? Especially a double-feed stoppage?

17. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

That's an excellent point! Even a civilian could face a civil suit after a justifiable shooting and having hundreds of rounds in the trunk is going to make some plaintiff's lawyer's day. If anyone honestly thinks they'll encounter a firefight where they'd need that kind of ammo, might want to make sure they have some body armor in the trunk too. The reality is that for the average civilian what's on their person is all that's going to count, whatever is in the weapon and if you're real lucky a reload. After that, it's going to be over - somebody (or bodies) will be shot or the bad guys will have fled.

18. roger.weathersby

roger.weathersby Empty Pockets

Long dead thread but I have a few points of value here.

Of my rifles, I generally have a carrier for some spare ammo on the weapon, and if i'm at a range I try to not use this backup stuff.

Kel Tec puts out a nice "sub" rifle called a Sub 2000 that allows you to use some types of pistol magazines in the 16 ish inch barreled foldable rifle. Glock, beretta, and S&W varieties are available in .40 and 9mm. Personally I dont own any of these, but I do carry a 9mm, so keeping a 33 rnd glock mag handy in some circumstances as a good secure storage for 9mm ammo. I believe there's even some models of the Sub 2000 that can have a mag holder added to them to keep the rounds handy there. Spec Ops also makes a strap on pouch to hold extra mag(s) or even a pouch for your shotgun. Just be careful of using cloth based items on wooden stock firearms, moisture might do bad things.

I'm in Pennsylvania, USA, and the laws and such are rather sensible and open. The problem is with the media and such when it comes to ammunition. Recently in the news someone did something bad involving a firearm and the news went to town on it, repeating every chance they got that the attacker had 50 rounds of ammunition in his vehicle, as if that were some horrendous amount. We had a shooting where 3 cops were killed, and the more sensationalist TV station in the area claimed that hundreds of rounds were fired. The reality was that his firearm jammed really badly after his 3rd magazine in a civilian AK. Still the news went crazy about how much in ammo he had. I dont know too many people with high capacity magazines for rifles that don't have at least 3 magazines of ammo available at any time...

I dont say let the media control you but that's another good thing to consider when making decisions on loadout.

19. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

well, RW I've raised a few threads from the dead myself...so I can't say anything! lol!

BUT since you did...and since I can't help myself - here's s pic of my sub 2k and Glock 26 - both in 9mm:
    [​IMG]
    My son and I went shooting yesterday at the range and blew thru 150 of 9mm between the G26 and the Keltec Sub2k - it was SO fun! :)

we also shot (amoungst others) 100 rounds thru the Ruger LCR in the picture - it's a great little back up gun for me and I'm getting more fond of it all the time.

Pertinent to this thread, I DON"T carry the Sub 2k, but it DOES fit in the hydration pouch or main compartment or my RUSH24 bag....so I could.
    A goodly amount (few hundred rounds of each) stays in the BOB ready to go - (RUSH72) and the sub2k lives in there, can be grabbed if I could get home to it.

In my edc bag or on me, one extra mag, one extra speed strip, and maybe twenty-ish rounds each of 9 and .38. Ammo gets heavy after a while in an EDC bag! lol!

20. roger.weathersby

roger.weathersby Empty Pockets

My main problem with the glock pistols, my hands are just barely too small for the grips, so while I have the glock version of the Sub 2000, I won't be getting a glock anytime soon to match it. Fine handgun if it works for you though. Great in combo with the subby.

My present carry is a Kel Tec PF9, 7+1 in and 2 x 7 round mags in a galco miami classic keeps the already insanely light weight away from my bag and easily distributed.

I put a wolf hook on my Sub 2000, and found that it EASILY connects to the shoulder holster for that rare time when open carry becomes useful and I need more than a pistol. Only has happened once, and not a shot fired, I'd call that successful. The people were under the influence of various things, and I hate being showy IRL with firepower, but I believe the deterrent factor weighed in heavily that night.

I will also add in the idea of same calibers that comes to mind that i'd probably only consider WROL or extreme outdoors wise where overpenetration and concealment size are not much of a concern. Any standard 5.56mm magazine style rifle + (Kel-Tec again) the PLR-16, a nice pistol that can take any of the standard m4/m16 magazines. I hear it can handle the beta Cmags... Once again, no need to worry about different ammunition. Low priority in my book, planning for WROL to me is something that takes a backburner to assuring everyday is taken care of first.