1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Differences in Leatherman Titanium versions?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by reptiles, Apr 17, 2020.

1. reptiles

reptiles Empty Pockets

Greetings, I have an SAK Swiss Tool but its is too heavy for EDC. I was thinking of acquiring a Leatherman in Titanium but there seems to be multiple versions. Is there an reference chart anywhere that covers the differences? Also, are the scales the only part that are Ti? Are there any advantages to locating an older, discontinued model? Thank you.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Leatherman does a great job of describing their multis and their specifications on their website.

For example, comparing the Charge+ TTI (with titanium scales) and the Charge+ (with aluminum scales) you'll find that the Charge+ TTI weighs in at 8.89oz vs 8.3oz for the Charge+. The Victorinox SwissTool comes in at 10.4oz, a huge difference in my mind.

The TTI has better steel for the straight edge knife blade (S30V vs 154CM) and I personally believe that the cap crimper compromises the utility of the pliers on the TTI -- the Charge+ doesn't have that feature.

reptiles likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Well THAT makes for an interesting choice doesn't it? Better steel for the blade or better utility of the pliers? Glad I'm not making the choice!

:)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

garza and chaosmagnet like this.
  4. reptiles

reptiles Empty Pockets

Actually I agree, 2 oz makes a noticeable difference. I was offered a like-new Ti with Damascus blade from a friend on another forum, but I'm not sure if the Damascus is stainless or not.

I was looking at that crimp feature, I actually do a lot of crimping maybe that would be ok. Thanks for the reply.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  5. D56

D56 Loaded Pockets

There's a Charge+ with G10 handles too (orange and red) but not sure of the actual weight. I have the red version and it's lighter than my original Charge. Similar price to titanium though.

6. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

The charge in titanium is not a lightweight multitool in any way. Between the larger size and bulk, its definately noticeable. If weight was my main concern I'd go with a wave.

skygear likes this.
  7. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

I've owned the wave, supertool 300, surge, leatherman charge tti (current version, supertool, swisstool and swisstool spirit. If you want the charge line I recommend the aluminum charge PLUS. Its lighter, the cap crimper on the tti isn't a welcome addition and the s30v isn't premium s30v we see from spyderco, etc. All things considered check out the swisstool spirit. I EDC that now. I carry the tti when I want the diamond file or pocket clip and one handed tools, but prefer the spirit hands down.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  8. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I would be interested to know how you know that; I haven't before seen any criticism of LM's S30V heat treat, blade geometry and so on.

skygear and Enzo01 like this.
  9. SuzukiGS750EZ

Maybe I got a dud but it doesn't hold an edge for the life of it. I had better luck with the 420hc. And yes, it's stamped s30v. Seems I can get it shaving sharp, not use it and 3 days later it's dull. My other s30v blades I own hold an edge through many work weeks.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  10. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Wow, that’s really disappointing. I’ve never had an S30V blade that didn’t keep an edge, but I’ve also never had one made by Leatherman.

11. SuzukiGS750EZ

I won't ever again buy a tti. I was after one for years and when I got it, disappointed

12. Moshe ben David

Can't help but wonder. Have you contacted LM and told of your experience with this particular unit? If so, what did they say? LM do have a pretty solid reputation and I'd think they would have been responsive.

But of course me saying so kind of implies that you haven't contacted them, which is presuming a lot on my part.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

chaosmagnet likes this.
  13. SuzukiGS750EZ

I have not. If I had any experience with another model with s30v I would have assumed I got a dud, but everybody heat treats their steel different, there are different "purities" of s30v as well

14. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Heat treat, blade geometry, edge geometry, yes all of those matter and are up to the manufacturer of the blade. But as far as I know, there’s only one grade of steel that can be correctly called S30V.

15. Enzo01

Enzo01 Loaded Pockets

I’ve had a Charge TTI with an S30v blade for 10+ years and use it daily. I’ve had great edge retention and sharpen the blade no more often than two other blades I own with S30v.

skygear and chaosmagnet like this.
  16. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

I would go with Swiss spirit if I was you

SuzukiGS750EZ likes this.
  17. Moshe ben David

These sort of things are done in production lots ('batches' if you will); its possible you got one from a lot that was not heat treated properly. Think of it also as an opportunity to provide productive feedback to LM -- unlikely but possible that you contacting them would trigger a reaction. OTOH, if they've already been contacted, they're likely to recognize what this is and be positively responsive to you.

I spent most of my career in manufacturing and QA; including about 40% of my career in manufacturing supply chain work. A reputable manufacturer -- which most of us would consider LM to be -- wants the feedback and makes serious efforts to make right a wrong.

Other than a phone call, letter, or email to LM, what have you got to lose?

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

skygear and chaosmagnet like this.
  18. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Agreed. The most likely response will be, “Send it in and we’ll fix it.”

skygear and Moshe ben David like this.
  19. skygear

skygear Loaded Pockets

I've had all the Leatherman line. And the Victorinox & Swiss Army and Gerber. I keep going back to the Leatherman product. The full sized/ Xl tools don't interest me at all. Useful, but weight and size in the pocket feels wrong to me. Wave was the size I liked. I've had all the versions of it. Wanted the "Premium blade" and ended up with a Charge TTI (and all the other Charge AL etc.'s) - Redesigned handled version, had it. Older original, had it. Current Charge TTI Plus. Got it. The other selling point for me was the Crimper in the pliers for caps/ wire connectors. I do lots pf electronics and don't always have all my tools.

I will agree, that crimper creates a weak point and I have snapped off a point at the crimp spot. Warrantied without issue. I abuse and break things. These are a MULTI TOOL not a designated specifically designed individual tool. SO there are definite failure points. I also break the Can opener using it incorrectly. The other must have tool for me, the gut HOOK on the back of the serrated blade. Guess what. I break that gut hook off all the time too. Leatherman takes care of it though.

If I was to build my own multi tool. It would be out of more durable metals in certain areas. But still, at what cost.

The charge TTI feels great in my pocket, in my hand, and I use it daily.

Suggested changes in the tool.
    1. 316L Stainless body
    2. Possibly a change on metal the pliers are made out of.
    3. Bottle opener could be more durable
    4. The half bits in 1/4" - Make security bits too. These are in my daily carry and I need the security bits for my every day work. Having them in half bits would be very convenient.
    5. In general, improve the corrosion resistance. I'm in/ near salt water all the time and additional rinsing, drying, and lubrication is needed daily to keep these running.

20. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Security Bits? Fire devices? Alarms?

skygear likes this.