1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Did you put your EDC to work today? (part 3)

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by cowsmilk, May 16, 2015.

1. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Removed a mortice lock that was sticking with my Spirit. Could have levered it out of the door with the flathead/prybar, but it was pretty tight and didn't want to risk bending my Spirit so went for a chisel. Spirit was used to pull the screws, open the lock, clean out the gunk and put it back together. Turns out it was the wrong key....in an emergency the spirit would have prized it out...

2. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Thank goodness for tiny ratchets! No way I wanted to take the column above off to replace the interlock.

[​IMG]
    That tape is also supposed to be pink. Black ink everywhere, washed most of it off after putting the thing back together.

3. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Toothpick and scissors are daily use items.

Used the Explorer's screw driver to tighten up a outlet plate.

Used its knife to slice cheese for the puppy.

Four layer Friday, baby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

4. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

dad broke off a lightbulb at the base inside a ceiling recessed lighting can earlier last week. I was visiting this weekend and he asked me to help remove it. I identified and turned off the breaker, then out came my Surefire Minimus headlamp from my EDC bag and the LM Charge ALX from my belt... then out came the broken bulb base from the fixture. He had also over-stretched one of the springs that secures the trim plate to the can. I used the wire cutters of the Charge ALX to snip back the spring and the pliers to reform the hook on the end, shortening it in order to regain the tension necessary to pull it flush with the ceiling.

5. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

With my new Swiss Army Cybertool 41...

• Used the bottle opener to open a number of bottles of beer since Friday...
    • Used the small blade to open a letter...
    • Unscrewed a few things with the large cross-head hex bit and socket...
    • Used the scissors to cut Rawlplug fix expansion plugs from the plastic sprue they come on...
    • Used the pliers to remove a few Rawlplug fix expansion plugs, prior to permanent insertion in drilled holes in the wall (drill once, test depth, drill again, rinse and repeat as the :censored: holes are either too darn shallow or too darn deep!)...
    • Use the file to file a sharp thing flat that should have been blunt in the first place (pin holding an aluminium soap dish hinge together - this AFTER the :censored: pin stabbed me in the finger!)...
    • Used the small screwdriver (the one held in the corkscrew attachment) to tighten the screw on my spectacles.
    And that's since Friday night! :bounce:

6. azaex

azaex Loaded Pockets

Bought an office chair; was the display model and only one they had left, so I had to take it home fully assembled. Wouldn't fit into the passenger seat of the sedan outside of Staples...and I would have been totally boned if I didn't have my Surge and bit set on me. Looked probably like a doof unscrewing the arms off an office chair in the parking lot, but 5 minutes later and I had the thing in!

The knife on the Surge has also been invaluable; didn't want to trust my nice blue BM 707 to the TSA, so it's all I have for the week.

7. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Today i used the following:

Smart Phone: Texting, Phone Calls, Web Browsing, Noting work hours
    Pencil: For marking holes that needed to be drilled for a camera base
    Stockman Pocketknife: For stripping wire
    Leatherman KICK: Pulling the Cat-6 separator from the wire before cutting it

I used a bunch of other tools as well, but those were dedicated work tools that go back into my toolbag at the end of the day. The ones listed above are on my person at all times and get used frequently.

RogerStenning likes this.
  8. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I went for a walk on the boardwalk today and encountered a family who's young son (4-5 years old ish) had been walking barefoot and had several splinters in the bottom of one foot. His Dad was attempting to remove them with the nail file of a scale-less vic classic without much success. I lent them the tweezers from my LM Style PS and his Dad was able to quickly get out at least 5 splinters with them. I love it when I get to use my edc to save the day, so fun.

9. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Was at the ER and used my battery pack to charge my phone.
    Also used it to charge a friends phone who was also there.
    Made change for bills for several people who had none to use in the pay parking machine that didn't take bills.
    Used my Leatherman to tighten some screws at work earlier in the day.
    Used my flashlight to help someone locate their dog's tags which had fallen off in the grass.
    These are the times that I realize the things I carry can make life simpler.

10. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Oh yes I put it to work, and this is the very thing about having an EDC for me. Yesterday I was at Oxford University covering a conference on the Chinese Belt and Road Initiative. My EDC bag had all the things I needed to help me with that task.

This morning I was on my way to Parliament here in London when word came in there had been an explosion on a tube train in the West of the city. I had my bag so I went there, within 25 minutes I was able to report live from the scene. I had all my broadcast equipment, all the safety gear I could ever need and all the personal items.

One of my friends, and colleagues, arrived about an hour after I did. When I asked what took her so long she said that they had to get the kit together at the office...

I was able to stay out for around 10 hours today and live out of my bag, I had enough to keep me self sufficient when all of my peers needed to find places to charge kit, or obtain water.

EDC - yes sometimes my shoulder hurts but hey, at least I never have to pack before I leave.

11. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Time to bring this one back to life. No major edc uses today, but helped a student out by providing tissues. Used my notebooks and pen to write down a student's locker number for him to have from the list stored in my day planner. Of course my multi-pen was used to write, erase, and as a pointer. Tonight my I used my new Klarus XT1A to check the outside yard upon arriving home. So, yeah, nothing big today, but knowing I'm prepared in case makes me feel better. The best part was my student saying, "oh, cool!" when he found out the art teacher didn't have tissues, but I had plenty for him in my pocket.

12. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

'tis Sunday morning, so nothing yet. A few days back I provided a colleague with a wet wipe to clean his bio-hazard of a laptop, a lens wipe for the screen and, when he ripped the wet wipe bag in opening it :rolleyes:, I had a grip seal bag for me to keep the remaining wipes in!

Treya, sungame and Water-Rat like this.
  13. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Yesterday, I helped my Mom rip out her dead tomato plants and all the weeds that had grown around them. My Byrd Hawkbill was used to cut tomato vines and weeds that were wrapped around the tomato cages. Also, my Boker Toucan was used to scrape dirt off of the bottoms of my boots.

So, I didn't use much today, but my Korg TM-40 tuner/metronome was passed around the saxophone section at a band concert to keep us all in tune and my Retro 51 Tornado Pencil was used to make notes on sheet music.

14. PragmaticMurphyist

Needed to plug in my works laptop, but the foldout handle on the floor hatch near me had broken off. If you've ever wondered what the little hook on some Vic SAKs is for...

[​IMG]

15. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Not exactly today but during the course of the last few days ...

Used the Thrunite Ti3 to light up behind a couch to find stuff and outside in the dark to prevent friend from tripping on his way to his car on uneven ground, and to find my way in a not well illuminated area, plus used it to help find someones pets in their garden.

SAK Manager pen to write down a grocery store shopping list and later scratch items already in my cart from that list; used the nail file/flat head screw driver to tighten a door panels screw; used the knife to open an Amaz... parcel and peel & slice a (small) apple; toothpick to get rid of something between my teeth while not at home; scissors to cut a lose thread; the Philips head screw driver to tighten my sun glasses screws and replace an CR2032 battery of the refrigerator temperature sensor - both with tiny sews; used the bottle opener for a diet coke.

Smartphone to take pictures, schedule appointments, read/write eMails and messages, plan routes/avoid traffic jams, weather forecast, book a public transportation ticket, check bank account, read local news, etc.

Paper handkerchief to dry my hands after washing them in the restrooms - one of those where they removed paper towels and installed hand dryers (which I don't like as they distribute bacteria and virus "thanks" to the immense air flow). Well, I could avoid this by not washing my hands, but ... no way for me.

USB power bank to charge a friends smartphone while on the go; and later the power adapter to continue charging when a power outlet was accessible.

Knipex Cobra Mini (part of my EDC rucksacks tool set) became handy to tighten an M8 bolt nut at a gate.

Baseball cap, sun glasses, lip balm, sun cream and chewing gum for their obvious purpose - all part of my EDC.

Used my Mechanix M-Pact gloves while riding a bike to prevent from wind chill. Also they are not supposed to keep hands warm (like wool glooves) they work pretty well as a "hand wind breaker". My Buff worked in the same way to cover my neck as the wind breaker jacket left some space unprotected.

Added ... used my 3M E-A-R UltraFit Earplugs (from my EDC rucksacks personal protection kit) to keep my hearing intact, my Wiley X Gravity sunglasses to protect my vision, and my Buff to keep my hair clean from sawdust while using a chainsaw for an extended period of time while away from home. The mini ratchet and the bit set came in handy to tighten a screw that keeps the chain tense. After finishing this (unplanned) work I needed a quick "refurbish", so took out my wet towels (I guess you guys call them Baby Wipes, of course part of my EDC rucksack) to clean me up, and changed to a spare polo shirt from my - surprise - EDC rucksacks unplanned overnight stay clothing kit. I was glad I hadn't to use anything from my IFAK (SWAT-T & gauze kept within reach) :)

My wife wasn't sure whether I'm a genius or totally crazy carrying such stuff in my bag - no words, just her look ... priceless!

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Oct 6, 2018
    #955 FiaOlleDog, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  16. Luis J

Luis J Loaded Pockets

Yesterday I used my Leatherman Rebar to cut and strip wire to jump the start terminal on my Suburban's starter.

Water-Rat and Moshe ben David like this.
  17. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

Duct tape around old gift card used to temporarily repair some hip waders that have seen better days. I almost always have a second pair in the truck ( used daily for work), but I was already overloaded and they got left behind.

Water-Rat and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  18. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Took the wife to a local Fall festival and brought the Vertx Ready Pack along. We found some shade trees so I capitalized on the opportunity to hang the Eno Sub6 hammock and have one of my favorite smokes, the Nub Maduro by Oliva. I never leave home without them and I'll never pass up a hammock spot; you'd be surprised what even a 15 minute hang will do for the mind, body, and soul.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19. PragmaticMurphyist

Went out to dinner last night and was seated at a very wobbly table. A couple of tissues and a PocketWrench under one of the legs de-wobbled it nicely.

loneslinger likes this.
  20. PragmaticMurphyist

Left a Post-It Note in one cubicle of the office gentlemen's facilities with the message, "No Paper!"

Whilst not quite TEOTWAWKI, I think it will be appreciated by my fellow man...