1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Did I get a fake or early model? Squirt Leatherman PS4

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Makeshift, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Makeshift

Makeshift Loaded Pockets

This showed up in today's mail and I quickly noticed that it doesn't have Torx screws as pictured (and reviewed).
    Sorry about the quality of the pic but you can still see the lack of Torx screws.
    So what do you guys and gals think? Did I get an early model or possibly a fake?

I've emailed the eBay seller and hope to return it...

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Jeffrey

2. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

I think I saw in an earlier thread that LM have now moved back to rivets in their production - so maybe a later model rather than an early one. Hopefully someone can confirm/correct this

3. rioredgt

rioredgt Loaded Pockets

This is, sadly, the case. Someone on another board asked Leatherman directly, and they confirmed this.

Robert

4. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

On bladeforums it was mentioned Leatherman went back to using the rivots instead of the torx. I am not sure why they are doing it though. I really like the idea of torx because a person could remove the blade (e.g. for air travel) and not have to snap it off or work over some rivots or pivots.

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

While I am only speculating I would assume it is cost?

6. Makeshift

Makeshift Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info guys. Sorta sad to see Leatherman take an obvious step back on the design.
    Oh well, off to find an older one.

Jeffrey

7. BananaBoy_S4

BananaBoy_S4 Loaded Pockets

I think knifecenter carries ones with the torx screws

8. ICSK

ICSK Loaded Pockets

Hopefully my post on BladeForums was the one you're talking about. I did a quick search and couldn't find any other PS4 post on there mentioning rivets. I've edited my post on BladeForums to reflect the info I was given from Leatherman:

According to Leatherman (called them up on two separate occasions), the design of the handles did not work as well as it did with torx screws. Therefore, they switched back to rivets. While this is vague, I'd like to believe that Leatherman wouldn't lie to one of their customers. I didn't press the Customer Service reps any further so this is all the information I have on the change.

9. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

My new leatherman style is already rusting. Mind you nothing ever has rusted from keychain carry on me ever. They definitely lowered the quality of their items. Back to my little victorinox.

10. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I am pretty sure it was your post. Thanks for the information. None the less, I hope leatherman goes back to the torx screws. I have some modifications I'd like to make and it would be much more convenient if there were screws rather than rivets.

11. cerbera147

cerbera147 Loaded Pockets

One of the guys at Multitool.org got this reply from Leatherman O0

"We originally launched the new Squirt PS4 and ES4 with threaded fasteners, however in July we've permanently switched over to rivets for all colors of the Squirt tools which provides a lower and smoother profile of the tool in the pocket. There are still a few Squirts floating around in retail that have the fasteners, but as inventories get replenished they will be replaced with the riveted versions.

There are no changes to the Style or Style CS."

More varieties to collect then. Just realised mine has Torx screws ;D

12. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

You beat me to it.... was off looking for that post! :)