1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Did Carnival Cruise Ship Mishap Change What You EDC for Travel?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by sklnxbones, Nov 16, 2010.

1. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I"m assuming that would take quite a while.

I ate spam uncooked growing up...Don't be such wimps.

2. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Ship to Ship transfer of 4500 crew and passengers... from cruise ship to carrier (which was probably already carrying a full complement).

In an orderly fashion?

With the old, the young, the infirmed, and a boatload of phobias and neuroses?

Truly? Anyone else see the makings of a TV Movie of the Week?

I can see them ferrying passengers in imminent danger or medical distress, but otherwise, I don't see them signing up for the logistics and liability involved. ROI way too low.

ATB,
    Sam

3. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

This would mean screening, so aside from a flashlight, I can't think of anything else that I carry that would make a substantial difference. A multi tool or knife would not have helped. They did have water and food, although not great food, they did eat. Fruit doesn't spoil and it's not like that they were stranded. Help was coming. I'd be more concerned with hygiene or noro-virus outbreaks than anything else.

Stay clean and hydrated and make the best of it. I mean, where else are you going to go? Make good friends with the wait staff and house keepers. They are the ones you can count on when you might need some extra supplies if something goes wrong.

4. pathalogical

pathalogical Loaded Pockets

Other canned meats are Simmenthal and Manzotin. Both are ready to eat. I remember Simmenthal when I was a kid, but no longer see it at the grocery store. Manzotin is what I buy regularly and is great between two slices of bread...or on its own right out the can. Canned tuna is another ready-to-eat product.

As for Spam - I've never tried it ! Just looking at that fleshy pink meat makes me think is still raw !

5. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Err... ummm... cooked ham is fleshy and pink.... just sayin'.

ATB,
    Sam

6. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Oh no, you don't want to COOK Spam...all that good congealed fat will go to waste not to mention that bit of gelatin that collects near the top........

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Spam is a pork substitute. Ate it cold all the time as a kid. Slice off a thin piece, bit of mustard and cheese, two slices of bread . . . It's fine.

Cut it into cubes, you can make Spam kababs.

8. dethrok

dethrok Empty Pockets

Well, I was on that cruise and here is my story. First off, we were there for a family reunion. My family of 6, my sister and her family of 5, my parents and another sister were there. We also had extended members of the family - 50 or so total.

1. I left all my extra food home. I generally carry a Datrex bar pack or two everywhere. Just in case. I did have a few millenium bars, but we never ate them. All this about "no food" is just complete baloney. I have my problems with the way in which they served it (hey everyone, go eat at the same place!) but they had plenty of food for all. Lots of sandwhiches, plenty of salad and cold side dishes. Until Wednesday plenty of deserts. I saw them bring out Flan on Wednesday afternoon even.

2. I brought a knife and 3 flashlights. That is how I roll. I was the hero of the family (we were there for a reunion) and shared them about. I carried the knife every day and was never asked. It went in the checked bags and was brought to my cabin.

3. The toilets didn't work Monday. Most people had toilets by Monday evening (but not all) and many of the public toilets were working as well. The smell wasn't bad once they got them working.

4. Lights - they had emergency lighting everywhere. It wasn't pitch black except if you had an inside cabin. Which I did. Good thing i had a 200 lumen Fenix Tk12 and three extra batteries. Shine that on the white ceiling and you were aces for reading. I ran that light for 4 days a bunch and only the last day did I switch to battery 2.

5. Water could have been an issue. I recommended we not drink from the onboard water supply, but Carnival handed out lots of 1.5L bottles of water and we stockpiled them. I had a small water filter with me - the small straw kind from McNett to use if we had water issues.

6. I left my larger survival kit home. I have a molle bag full of stuff that goes with me everywhere. It has chem lights, hats, garbage bags and a bunch of other stuff. I really would have liked the Chem-lights for nightlights for the kids instead of burning batteries. I've since stocked up on these.

7. I had a nice firstaid kit. Never had to use it.

In reality, it wasn't that bad. The media hyped it up. I never saw spam or anything like that. I did see some creative work to make things palatable - they had hotdogs chopped up with mayo and paprika and served as a sandwich. Not my cup of tea, but edible.

It certainly wasn't the cruise we wanted, but they were good to us considering. I would never be on a cruise with 4000 other people if it wasn't for the reunion, but we'll probably take the free cruise offer. I'll bring the survival kit and some chem lights.

Oldpagan likes this.
  9. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

LMAO!!!!!:laugh:

10. sklnxbones

sklnxbones Loaded Pockets

Dethrok... That's exactly the first hand knowledge I have been hoping for. Thanks for setting us straight on how it REALLY WAS...

My solar powered light just arrived today, I plan on packing it with me every time I travel.

11. dethrok

dethrok Empty Pockets

No prob. Hope that didn't come across snarky. Wasn't intentional - kinda sick of talking about it. And oh, the spam jokes.

It was a real interesting experience for an EDCer. The flashlights were invaluable. Would have killed for a canister stove and a pot too.

Missed having my g26 - but I do anytime I'm in a criminal empowerment zone. Sure is silly to screen me as I walk on and let me put a knife in the checked baggage that meets me 10 min later in my cabin. Ah, security theatre.

12. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

thanks a lot dethrok for the first hand report. there you have it folks, media hoopla!

13. oldsarge

oldsarge Loaded Pockets

My complements to you Mr. Dethrok. You are proof that a little bit of preparation goes a long way. I am sure that no member of your family will ever poke fun at your EDC ever again!! If it was in my Power I would award you the order of EDC Hero.

14. dethrok

dethrok Empty Pockets

Ha ha. You got that right. My sister went home and promptly emailed for flashlight recommendations for her purse. My wife also asked me to update her purse kit. And I finally got around to refreshing my kids mini edc kits in their school backpacks (no knives, but flashlight, extra battery, whistle, plastic poncho, glowstick and a few candies).

15. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

dethrok, thanks for the first-hand account, I had a hard time believing some of the reports. I'm re-thinking my flashlight carry, I think I'll add another full sized flashlight as opposed to an extra keychain light and I'll add some chem lights.

The question isn't so much what you would change as what the cruise ships will allow you to bring aboard.

I'm disappointed that the ship didn't have enough emergency generator power to keep the lights and refridgeration going.

16. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

It isn't necessary, but given that it is essentially meat without a sell by date, it isn't exactly gourmet food - perfect for the situation here though, in that it is ready to eat, will keep you going and won't perish like fruit or similar.

A ham equivalent to something like corned beef? It has been rather a long time since I have eaten any of it...

As for shipping tourists to the aircraft carrier, I would hazard a guess at there being quite a few reasons why they won't want to, from things like the huge effort it would take to move a cruise ships worth of passengers between vessels, the safety factor of moving these people (remembering the fact that a lot of the passengers are not going to be in the best shape), and where on the aircraft carrier they are expected to stay - while adequate for the crew, I doubt there is much space to fill it with tourists, especially considering it is a live ship, and full of both secretive and just plain dangerous military hardware - not the place you want a bored tourist poking around.

17. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

I've never been on a cruise - not sure I will in the future either but it has nothing to do with the recent incident. I did discover on our Disney trip the value of a headlamp and will likely have one or two with me on any travel - good for nightime reading when sharing a room for example. I might be more diligent about having water on hand if I go on a cruise. I always carry some protein bars which will keep us going but water is more critical in most settings.

As for the aircraft carrier there was, absent a more compelling argument (i.e. no help on the way), no chance they were bringing the crew and passengers aboard. As noted the risk/reward equation is highly skewed toward the risk side.

It does raise interesting thoughts - I don't know that I'd make radical changes to my travel EDC but I tend to travel reasonably well prepared as it is. I go to NYC for work with some regularity - and I do think about terror attacks and having some basic supplies either acquired when I get to my hotel or brought in with me. I have a number of friends in the area so one issue for me is evacuating out of Manhattan if necessary. Thankfully - I have colleagues on both sides of the island so if I can walk off I can get to a pickup point with one of them. So I always have my workout gear, meaning good walking shoes and socks, with me. My luggage is usually light and my travel work briefcase is a backpack. It wouldn't be a hootenanay but it would be workable, I'm in pretty good shape and can get most anywhere on the island or off island by foot without much problem.

If I have to hunker down I tend to stay on lower floors in case I have to hoof it, I have some basic food and water on hand and I check my luggage so I always have a sharp and a multitool. I would feel a bit exposed from a crime perspective, but not much I can do about that other than stay in better areas in good hotels (not hard with business travel) and be situationally aware when outside. I always have several lights and backup batteries which is also helpful. Basic first aid kit and a bandana for face cover are also in my luggage. Extra medicine as well beyond my trip.

I should put together a better, more comprehensive checklist however.