1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Did Carnival Cruise Ship Mishap Change What You EDC for Travel?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by sklnxbones, Nov 16, 2010.

1. sklnxbones

sklnxbones Loaded Pockets

Well by now you should have heard about the trouble that Carnival Cruise had with one of their ships. I have a friend who's wife was on that cruise, and she was saying it was far worse than what the media was reporting.

There was little or no food for days on end. Even when the US Navy shipped over pallet loads of SPAM, they didn't have any way of cooking the meat product, so it was never opened.

The interior of the ship was pitch black, since the power was out.

And the worst part (according to many) was the stench of the toilets NOT working...

So my question to you is... Will you change what you EDC as a result of the trouble with Carnival Cruise?

Here is my answer: YES! There was almost no food after the mishap, so from now on I will always carry some energy bars, some granola bars, beef jerky and maybe some powder drink mixes... I normally carry a flashlight with me of some sort, but I don't think the batteries would last for days on end. So I bought a solar powered flashlight, just go up on deck and charge it and I have light. And finally... I will always pack a few heavy duty contractors garbage bags. When the toilets stop working you can do your business in the heavy duty bags and tie a knot in the bag so your waste will not come out.... and maybe an air freshener

2. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Since cruise lines screen as rigorously as airlines, preventing passengers from having most all weapons (and all firearms), I don't cruise.

They have demonstrated that they cannot provide care for my family and me, and they prevent me from providing that care: So, no cruises on the lines.

Of course I have a boat, and cruise that way.

3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

You are assuming that you will have sun..... if the cruise goes South (no pun intended), there is no reason to assume that the weather won't too. No sun, no charge.... insufficient charge, light fails in the dark. Would lean towards and crank or shake light. Carrot did a nice review for CPF.... just Google "carrot dorcy light" and it should be the first hit.

Solar charger for general use batteries is fine if weight permits.

Not sure if the cruise lines are as strict as airlines about bring external food, but I expect it is only a matter of time.

ATB,
    Sam

4. doktorziplok

doktorziplok Loaded Pockets

i am in the light & knife neominimalist crowd and find your vow to carry bags to poop in hilarious. i'm not poking fun, just imagining what i would do next time the power is out and a buddy whips out a hefty sack and says "i got your back bro! here, crap in this!"

5. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

Maybe carry more batteries....but since the Doc pointed out that security is as high for cruises as it is for airlines there isn't a whole lot more you could bring.

I would definitely stage more food and water in my room. Maybe always try to keep a few liters re-filled and on hand.
    I would bring some EDC food but mostly I would cull from around the ship.
    Crackers, chips, pretzels and any other pre-packaged snacks they have.

6. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

No, I would not change. If I was that paranoid, I'd probably not even dare go on a cruise, let alone enjoy the vacation.

7. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't go on a cruise period - can't imagine a worse place to have a holiday!

8. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

We recently cruised up to Alaska on Holland America. I brought a small SAK (Tinker model) along with an Ra Clicky flashlight and a few other small EDC items on board with no problems. However, I did get a few looks from cruise security while re-boarding in ports of call. They had both a metal detector and a mobile X-ray machine to scan people and bags. One of the security guards half-jokingly asked me, "Is that all, sir?" when I re-boarded without any EDC gear in my pockets at one point.

The most important items we brought? Hand sanitizer and Pepto-Bismol. One item we forgot: Nalgene water bottles.

There is going to be some inherent risk in taking a cruise. You are sticking thousands of people from all walks of life on a ship, both to operate it and to be passengers. Then you stick this same ship out in the middle of the ocean where anything can happen. Fire, flooding, mechanical failure, food poisoning, rough seas, collision, etc. I honestly don't think two extra granola bars in someone's bag are going to do much.

9. sklnxbones

Hey I am not limiting this discussion to cruise ships... I am talking about any time I have luggage, I am going to add a few more items to make sure my trip doesn't end in disaster.

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Problem is, Carnival confiscates anything you bring on-board at the start of cruise that it decides passengers shouldn't have. This mainly applies to alcohol. But can be applied to food. (They want you to spend your money at their bars and restaurants. It's an additional and huge source of revenue for them.) It also applies to knives, multi-tools, anything THEY consider to be a weapon. You'll likely get to keep your flashlight, if it's not too big.

I'd like to experience a cruise, but I wouldn't bring family members along. Too much potential for problems when out at sea.

11. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

This type of event is so unusual, that it is hardly worth additional carry-on. It's like being prepared for an earthquake in Missouri - it's the site of one of the largest earthquakes in North America, but it happened almost exactly 200 years ago.

Perhaps the only addition I might make is to add a water purifier of some sort. There will be plenty of food, and there is no way for a passenger to fix the sort of problems they had.

EDC a blimp - it's inflatable, won't trigger metal detectors, and could get you off the boat if you could figure out how to get air into it...

12. oldsarge

oldsarge Loaded Pockets

I was on a cruise two weeks ago. I carried two led lights, both with adjustable power settings and spare batteries. Because of flying home I had no sharps. As for defecating. I always pack my shirts pants etc in gallon size zip lock bags. If TSA or customs wants to go through your bags, at least they dont wind up unfolding everything. So I always have some "porta potties with me. Whenever I cruise I always bring some fruit to my room and keep it there. There is no excuse for being totally un prepared. If you feel the need for sharps in your cabin, Go to dinner, ask for a steak knife, wrap it up in a place setting, napkin etc. with a fork and a spoon. Viola!! you are armed. Think outside the box gents.

13. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Those must be pretty powerful items if they can actually "make sure my trip doesn't end in disaster."

14. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

would you prefer a ziplok bag? :laugh: i don't think flushing the toilet would be an issue. didn't they have trash buckets in the rooms? crap in that. most of the staff and people aboard that boat had no survival skills at all? then they deserve to suffer. the navy already gave them bread, water and spam for free mind you. were the passengers still expecting an all you can eat buffet after the catastrophe. what a bunch of spoiled tourists!

Oldpagan likes this.
  15. Straya

Straya Loaded Pockets

He's managed to shoehorn a small generator, travel fridge and hot water system into a small custom pouch made by Griffenhawks. :p

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I'm sure there were a few spoiled tourists on board. But I'm willing to bet that many were grateful for the food provided by the Navy.

17. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Being a non-English-speaking foreigner, I've never seen actual spam outside Monty Python (or my email folder), but I always assumed it was just like a similar canned meat product we can buy here, which is precooked. Just open the can and eat it. I had no idea spam needs to be cooked, is that true?

18. Straya

Straya Loaded Pockets

Nah, It's pre cooked. I'd need to be pretty close to death to consider eating it cold though.

19. sklnxbones

I am REALLY enjoying the banter this topic started, but from what I read almost none of you would change what you pack in your luggage....

ER Doc, help me out here... Please tell our colleagues the potential hazards that go along with not properly treating/handling human waste...

The ship had plenty of water, that was not an issue. The issue was FOOD. The refrigerators stopped working and the food spoiled. And yes SPAM is pre-cooked, but eating it un-cooked is hideous beyond compare.

Oldsarge recommended taking fruit back to his state room, which is a superb idea. The only problem is the accident happened within hours after setting sail, so if you are going to horde food you need to do as soon as you set foot on the ship.

As far as sharps/multi-tools... I always pack one in my suite case... I guess I will have to take my chances that it will get confiscated.

But this is what I cannot understand, and hopefully you can add some insight to this question... If the tourists could see the USS Ronald Reagan, why couldn't they ferry the passengers to the navy ship and have the navy take them to port? At full speed they could have been in port in a day and then there would not be all the problems they faced...

Just adding my two cents

20. oldsarge

oldsarge Loaded Pockets

The reason I suggested zip lock baggies (gallon Size) is so that you can toss them over the side, as opposed to a waste basket. When you run out of baggies, then use the basket. Eventually you will have to try the poop deck. At the very least I would not be standing in line with my hand out begging for whatever they toss at me. Having done my share of wilderness survival, give me cold spam with whipped cream on top as opposed to bugs, beetles and snakes.

The reason we EDC stuff is because we are supposed to be more self reliant than the average civilized sheep person out there. thats why we exchange views.

As for transferring the passengers, i surmise some one did a risk benifit analysis of the situation......
    Risk, transfering 2,000 passengers, a large percentage of which are old, ill, out of shape; onto lifeboats, across to an aircraft carrier and placing them where? onto the open deck of a pitching aircraft carrier that has absolutely no spare room and already carries a crew of 5,000.
    Benefit, a touchy feely good time hollywood moment showing heroic sailors rescueing sick old matrons and thier gucci luggage.

Life boat rules
    1. pull an oar or get out of the boat
    2. see rule number 1