1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Desktop Organizer

Discussion in 'Andrews Design LLC' started by Nutmeg, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Nutmeg
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman

Nutmeg Loaded Pockets

Made something different this weekend. I've been looking for an excuse to use the ShopBot CNC machine, and came up with this design. It's a desktop organizer, with a CNC'd MDF frame and some leather liners. Came out pretty well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although this one is sized specifically for a few of the items I make, I think it's generally a good design for the items most of us EDC. What do you guys think? Would anybody have an interest in something like this?

2. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

That's some really nice work (as always)! Unfortunately my gear takes up several drawers and organizers.

Nutmeg likes this.
  3. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

That is quite awesome.
    WIsh I could afford all of your stuff. Or any of it, really.

Nutmeg likes this.
  4. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Loaded Pockets

Thanks! And yeah, I guess I should say this holds the gear that goes into my pockets, lol. Most of the heavy stuff I carry stays in the organizers in my bag. Though your comment has me thinking about some Andrews Design LLC furniture:

Maybe a nightstand, with several drawers styled after this organizer? The gears are turning...

Thanks! This is actually an item I designed to be a (relatively) low cost item I could use to get my items out to a wider audience. I'm looking at doing these for $45 + shipping, and it will still have the options for custom engraving on the leather portions, as well as some variable options on the shape/size fo the CNC'd frame. I think it's a pretty reasonable price for the quality of the item.

As for the general item costs: I've gotten the feeling the items are expensive, as they are priced similarly or slightly higher than comparable items on Etsy. I've been of the feeling that the quality of the hand stitching and the custom engraving ability makes the cost appropriate. If it becomes clear that the market for these items isn't there, I do have the option of machine sewing my items and removing the custom engraving options. This would reduce the time requirements for me (and with labor being a large percentage of the cost, that would substantially reduce the cost), but I think would diminish the quality of the items I want to offer. This is not an option I really want to pursue, but it is one I will consider of necessary.

ItsHardToKnow likes this.
  5. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

I am not saying your stuff isnt worth it, just that I cant afford it...or, at least, JUSTIFY the price.
    Im a public educator, so my funds are limited ha

dwdillard and Nutmeg like this.
  6. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Please don't take my feedback as something that is necessary to consider. I have hundreds of knives, dozens of lights and so on. I rotate my gear every day and typically don't set out what I will be carrying day by day. For people that use a set grouping of gear, your product looks very nice and useful.

Nutmeg likes this.
  7. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Loaded Pockets

It was half a joke, and half not, lol. The more I thought about it the more it might be something I work on in the future. I envisioned something like a wood/leather tool chest, with spaces for typical EDC items. But I've got a number of other projects to finish before I'll have time for something like that...

Gary Gross likes this.
  8. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

That is a nice looking organizer. Too bad it is WAY to organized for me.

Nutmeg likes this.
  9. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Would each one be custom cut to measure? For example: I'd need two pen slots, a smaller wallet area, and an 84mm SAK slot.

Nutmeg likes this.
  10. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I can custom cut one for your particular items. All I will need is a picture of your items in the layout that you would want them situated in the organizer, with a common reference item (ruler would be ideal). From that I can mock up a model of the organizer for approval, and once the design is approved I can take it right over to the CNC.

11. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Now all I have to do is lock down my EDC, I might need one for suit days and one for jeans days.

Nutmeg likes this.
  12. ballistic
    • +2 Supporter

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Beautiful design and craftsmanship.

Nutmeg likes this.
  13. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

Looks elegant and totally gentlemanly.

Nutmeg likes this.
  14. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Loaded Pockets

I can do one for every occasion. Maybe MDF/Brown Nut Essex Leather for jeans days, and stained hardwood/oiled goat for suite days? There's definitely options... :)

Thanks!

Thanks! I figure we spend so much on all the nice items we carry, they deserve a nice place to stay.

Gary Gross likes this.