1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Deployment Bags ?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by chris239, Feb 17, 2014.

1. chris239

chris239 Loaded Pockets

A little background: Im leaving April 8th for Army basic training at Fort Benning.
    was wondering what everyones bag of choice for deployment is/was ?

2. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

If you're off to basic, you don't want to take much; it'll all be taken from you anyway and stored until graduation. You'll be issued a duffle bag and will have the opportunity to visit the PX before you leave. My biggest fault was not learning to pack my duffle correctly...there is an art to it. Those bags are tough and huge, but don't overpack. Take what is required and what you NEED; you'll find that your "snivel gear" takes up a lot of room and weighs a lot. If I were to do it today, I'd pack my utility uniforms, skivvies, extra boots, and civilian clothes in the duffel, my dress uniform and shoes in a roll-up garment bag, and my carry a good three day pack for everything else (ditch the laptop and get a good tablet; it does the same thing and takes up a fraction of the space). Make sure you can carry everything comfortably for a long time - you'll be moving a lot and have to pack this stuff. Wait until you get settled to buy a bunch of toiletries; carry the TSA maximums to get you through.

Thank you for your service! Remember - listen more than you speak, move with purpose, pay attention to detail and drive on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadWizard, Epilektos, R_W and 9 others like this.
  3. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

^^^^^^This

Uncle Sam will give you everything else you need except toiletries and running shoes. Pack the smallest bags possible, the civvies on your back can go in there (and won't be seen until graduations). Wear your running shoes, have your toiletry bag packed with the basics (tooth brush, paste, soap, shampoo, shaving cream and razors). Good luck and thank you for serving.

4. chris239

chris239 Loaded Pockets

I plan to only bring a change or two of clothes to basic. thanks for the advice but i was more intrested in general what others were using?

5. RayFromJersey

RayFromJersey Loaded Pockets

Stick with your issued stuff until you know where/if you're getting deployed.

Heavyduti likes this.
  6. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Using for actual deployments? Not for nothing, but a lot of that will be dependent on your MOS. Again Uncle Sam gives you everything you need, but more importantly, he will TELL you what to pack. When I was deployed I was allowed to bring two issue duffel bags, my medium Alice pack (I went a few months before they started issuing MOLLE), and another "small carry bag". For most of us it was an M51 Engineers bag. I was a combat engineer, we mobilized out of Fort Leonard Wood (main post for engineers), and the PX had these cheap.

You will get issued a duffel bag at basic. If reports are true, the new duffel bags look like a huge improvement over the old top loader. IF you get deployed, you will either get a second duffel, or if your unit rates it, one of the fancy rolling deployment bags.

7. chris239

chris239 Loaded Pockets

My MOS is 18x so i have a while before even needing to worry about it but was courios

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

My honest to God advice is to wait until you get to a unit before you worry about deployments. My Quartermaster unit was pretty mellow about what bags were required versus allowed when we went to Iraq; an Infantry unit might not be so slack.

And it would well and truly suck to drop $500 on a high-speed bag and not be able to take it with you.

EtA: This applies to all the other high-speed gear you might be tempted to buy. Every unit is a little different in how it views personal equipment - take some time and get a feel for what the informal standard is before you show up as "that guy".

Last edited by tmedina, Feb 17, 2014
  9. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

^^^^This 100%! Some units are easy going, some are very strict. You should wait until you get to your unit to find out their policies. I saw a lot of guys have to leave a lot of gear behind because it wasn't issued or approved.

tmedina likes this.
  10. RayFromJersey

RayFromJersey Loaded Pockets

18x? Lol then you definitely don't have to worry about buying your own equipment right now.

RoadWizard and Epilektos like this.
  11. chris239

chris239 Loaded Pockets

Yea i guess i am getting a little ahead of myself... one of my friends is an 11B airborne and i just see the stuff they give him and its kinda crap lol

12. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

The problem with knowing too much about gear is that the issued equipment will not usually be the best (with some exceptions) but standing out with your own stuff may offend some of the training cadre as well as making you look like you Think that you know more than they do-not a good way to begin your career.

RoadWizard likes this.
  13. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Chris was asking about deployment gear, not stuff to take to BCT - that's a whole different kettle of fish. :D

chris239 likes this.
  14. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Deployment gear is waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy off if he is following the 18x trail. FWIW, at least IMO, issue gear is all pretty good. It may not be the coolest, latest stuff. But it works good (even if you have to mod it some).

15. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

For a deployment, you will likely get ONE personal bag (think backpack). It will have to fit in the standard airline box. A Rush 24 or equivalent pack will fit the bill. Good luck!

RoadWizard and Heavyduti like this.
  16. jv6509

jv6509 Loaded Pockets

Good luck with 18x focus on that for now. Pain now...brotherhood, dream job and awesome gear later

chris239 likes this.
  17. chris239

chris239 Loaded Pockets

I really appreciate the kind words and support...my head is where it needs to be (at least i think so) and yes this is my
    dream come true...being able to serve our country. when it comes to 18x you better believe that they will have to be the ones to
    drag me out of there kicking and screaming because i dont plan on quitting.

that said this thread was supposed to be about what bags others have used for deployment.

18. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Heh. Went to Iraq in 2006 with a medium ALICE ruck. I don't recall what my personal bag was anymore.

I actually really like the MOLLE assault pack and medium ruck - I'd have taken both in a hearbeat. The only thing I don't like about the assault pack is the use of "quick release" buckles. But mine never failed after almost six years, so it's a personal gripe more than a practical one.

19. Nevada

Nevada Loaded Pockets

Trying to dredge up the memories: Deployed to the Gulf in '90 w/ 2 GI duffles, a medium Alice, and some sort of medium "carry on" sized bag. This was long before the plethora of good non-gov't issue gear came along, and also before MOLLE.

RoadWizard and tmedina like this.
  20. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I went out to the last Gulf Conflict (Op Resinate/Telic) with a Snugpac Kit Monster, and a Coronado holdall I picked up in a PX in Kosovo.
    I'm still using them over 10 years later.

chris239 and tmedina like this.