1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Deploying EDC items easily (there has to be a thread already here somewhere)

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Phlebas, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Phlebas

Phlebas Loaded Pockets

Hey guys, I made an effort to use the search function but I'm not quite finding what I need. If I missed it, smack me and point me in that direction.

Here's my problem--how to get my EDC items off of their carrying device so I can easily use them.

I have a simplistic 2-stage system that I intend to keep as bare-bones as I can:
    1. My keys, a photon freedom, and a micro widgy on a regular split ring with an engraved tag/fob that was a wedding gift. This is working fine as is.

2. I'm pocket carrying a aircraft mechanic's keyring from CountyComm with my other goodies: whistle, mini multi tool, split pea lighter, aaa flashlight, spyderco bug, and an eyeglass screwdriver set (you know, the skinny thing that unscrews into 3 different sections.)

Here's the problem--to use the stuff in #2 I'm taking it out of my pocket, unscrewing the keyring, removing the item, being careful not to spill everything else, re-screwing the keyring or setting it down carefully somewhere, using the darn item, then reversing the process.

I know--why unscrew it at all? Personal preference. I just prefer to use the item by itself rather than while it's attached to everything else and all bulky in my hand. With some items it doesn't matter, like the whistle. With others though, it really needs to be separate to use it efficiently.

I suppose I'll need a different arrangement to quick deploy and release the items--in other words, connect each item to its own...thing...and then connect each thing to the keyring. Of course that'll increase the weight and jingle-factor which I'd like to avoid, but I'm out of ideas.

What do other people do, mini carabiners, those valet-style keyrings, etc?

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Personally I have an arsenal of different sized McGizmo clips.

3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Two options come to mind:
    EDCF Key Holder
    Nite-Ize Key Rack
    Both of these will allow quick disconnect & quick reconnect.

Another approach would be to build yourself a pocket organizer like this.

For other pocket organization ideas take a look at this thread.

4. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

been there and done that same as you,,,,now i use McGizmo clips and the problem is solved

5. rhazkhal

rhazkhal Loaded Pockets

+1 on this one:

6. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Get a grimlock drill near the hinge place a keyring thru the hole you just made,attach main keys via keyring.
    Use the grimlock clip itself to add you secondary line of stuff,this way takes secinds and is 100% secure

7. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

I use basically the same but the ones I have contain a swivel at the end so that the little gate doesn't open up when it gets all twisted up.

I have a small Vic classic and a Fenix LD01 using a split ring and a swivel clip connected onto a large 1" split ring which is part of a quick dis-connect. One side has tools the other side has my keys.

8. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

Another big fan of the McGizmo clips here. I've probably acquired a couple dozen of them now, after discovering them 5 or 6 years ago.The only ones I've had problems with are the smallest size, the gate clip on those doesn't close very securely, but I've got a lot of the 20mm and 25mm size that seem to be the best mix for me of security and compact size.

9. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Agreed, the teeny weeny ones are a bit useless, albeit really cute ;D

10. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

I use a keychain lanyard that I made. It has lobster claw style snap swivels on each end. One end is clipped to belt loop, and the other drops the keys down in my pocket. I have a couple of split rings held by the claw of the snap swivel, whichever split ring I want, I pull upwards on and then barely open the claw, allowing only that one out. Works for up to about 4 split rings.

Also, a big split ring is remarkably fast to unfasten something like a micra, which is secured via a smaller split ring. Only slow with things like keys.

11. Soappeddler

Soappeddler Loaded Pockets

What are the clips with the swivel at the end called and where did you get them? I am tired of my McGizmo clips falling off of my ring.

12. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets