1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Delica or Endura? Or Both?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Iammyown, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Iammyown

Iammyown Loaded Pockets

I have been shooting back and forth between the Delica and Endura and have decided that I want a Delica regardless for EDC purposes. My local dealer doesnt carry the Endura so I couldn't try it out firsthand but I am about to place an order for a Delica and shipping is $7.50 regardless of how many I buy so I figured I ought to either grab another Delica for a friend or an Endura for myself.

I'm just wondering, what is the Endura really great for? From what I have heard, for most, its a little on the large side to EDC.

And if thats the case, what is the Endura best suited for?

2. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

I don't own a Delica, but I do own an Endura. I don't find the Endura particularly large for EDC (but then what do I know?, for a couple of weeks I was EDCing an Espada XL and I still EDC a Resilience) and basically I'd use it for the normal stuff, cutting things. I'd get one now, because I'm almost certain you'd buy one later anyway.

And if your friend wants a Delica too, buy that as well.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  3. MWDP

MWDP Banned

EDCF autoanswer: get both :) Endura is better for cutting up food from my experience, Delica can't even cut a slice of bread without going around it with the knife :)

jeepsrjason, T.H.Cone and grids7 like this.
  4. Iammyown

Iammyown Loaded Pockets

The Endura will slice through a whole loaf of bread?

T.H.Cone likes this.
  5. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

Endura is slightly too large for an EDC if you live in any kind of populated area. Lol

I often get funny looks with my Delica and its not even 3 inches. Lol

My Endura is my go to anywhere out of the city such as hunting and camping assuming Im not carrying my Bill Moran Drop Point fixed blade.

6. Iammyown

Iammyown Loaded Pockets

Is it stroch enough for pretty heavy camping tasks though?
    splitting wood and such?

7. MWDP

MWDP Banned

If you need a knife for that, get a fixed blade, please.

8. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

For two decades I've carry one version or another of the Endura line. IMHO, it is absolutely not too big. In fact it is the best knife ever. Hyperbole, the best literary device ever. Sheer perfection if you ask me. If anything, the Delica is too small.

For example, the Delica doesn't have the reach of it's big brother and is far less useful to scratch an itch in the middle of your back. I will mention here that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE should use a knife this way; do not try this at home; bla, bla, bla, I'm a trained professional. And, Lammyown is also correct, the Endura trumps the Delica as a bread slicer.

Of course YMMV. Variables like how you carry it, what other stuff you also cart along, what you will really use it for and how often, etc. will really decide for you regardless of what I say the truth is.

Doesn't really matter anyway, you'll end up with both before you figure which one is the truth for you.

MWDP likes this.
  9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I second the "too big for most urban environments" sentiment. I have the Endura and I was surprised at the size of the blade. Around people who aren't used to pocket knives, you might raise eyebrows.

The Delica - which I don't have, but I do have the Caly - is the "gentleman's EDC" length. Endura: 3.75". Delica: 2.87". It may not seem like a lot to folks like us, but if you have to worry about general opinion, I'd say go with the Delica.

Syclone likes this.
  10. rangetroop

rangetroop Loaded Pockets

Really, get one of each if the $$ is no issue. I dont have a delica but love the endura, wish i got a delica as well before the import laws changed over here. I prefer the full flat grind (ffg) and I would say its strong suit would be slicing food, the longer blade allows you to draw the knife through things. Endura is large but feels so slim in the pocket. I have a sabre grind endura as well but found it too thick for most normal everyday tasks but would be better suited for heavy use and abuse.

11. hawkeye180

hawkeye180 Loaded Pockets

Get both. I have one of each and sometimes I carry both do that way I'm covered for all tasks.

I can use the delica for stuff in more urban places and the endura if the need arises.

12. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

Owned both. Sold the Endura. Sent the Delica to another member. When it comes time to get another it will be a Delica. Endura was just to large imo. Same reason I sold my 710 and got a 707 Benchmade.

Deci77 likes this.
  13. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

critterfixer Loaded Pockets

Again, I'd get both if you can afford it. I have both and they are equally awesome.

14. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

BOTH! You will not ever regret it.

Unagi42 likes this.
  15. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

Not that I advocate it, but the Endura is capable of batoning through logs. I found out during a snow camping trip where all the wood was wet. (Okay, maybe we should have looked harder, but it was dark and I wanted to test the knife.) The trick is to unlock the knife first, so there is no stress on the lock mechanism. Pinch the blade somehow, and baton through. Additionally, make sure the tip of the knife is always lower than the pivot. You want to baton to smash the lower tip. Otherwise, if the baton smashes the higher end of the knife, the log acts as a fulcrum and helps snap the blade. And I would just get the Endura. I don't see the point in getting two such similar knives. Use the money for another knife IMO. ZDP dragonfly?

LOLPanda likes this.
  16. Ness

Ness Loaded Pockets

Another vote for BOTH :)

17. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

I do not find my Endura too big. The FRN handle makes for a nice light knife. If I had to work people who were a bit jumpy I would go with a nice friendly Delica.

18. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I've got the Delica and it's plenty of knife for my needs. However, I can see where someone would want the Endura for the larger blade size, depending on their work or leisure pursuits.

I think that bystanders who freak out about a knife are going to be equally disturbed by a Delica. All they will see is a black handled knife with a pointy blade that goes "click" when you open it. People who ask "why do you need such a big knife" really mean, "that's not a tiny little red Swiss Army Knife, which I am familiar with and doesn't frighten me."

It's all about the image. Good guys carry a six-shooter and a Buck knife, bad guys carry Glocks and tactical knives. Blame Hollywood, the rabid news media hype-machine, and easily manipulated minds.

19. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

Truer words were never spoken:), It's a shame it's manipulated like that, but it is.

LOLPanda likes this.
  20. Rogerschrisj

Rogerschrisj Loaded Pockets

If you can find them, I recommend the delica and endura with the Emerson wave.

dcmassena likes this.