1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Delica 4 Question

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Crux, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Crux

Crux Loaded Pockets

My Delica 4 has developed slight vertical blade play which is only eliminated when the blade and lockbar pivots are fully tightened. I disassembled it to see hat the problem was and didn't find anything apparent. Now, the handles don't fit together as tightly as they did. One handle bulges slightly and the blade can be moved when closed. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

2. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

Maybe you didn't put the knife back together quite right? On the stretch, there are little plastic 'nubs' in the backspacer that fits into a hole in the handle scales, and if they aren't lined up or don't fit together right it could cause the scales to not fit together. The best way to put lockbacks together is to put everything together but leave the screw for the lockbar out-this way there's no pressure on the spring and backspacer when you try to put the handle scales on. Then, after everything else is in, you can simply push the lockbar into place until it lines up and then push that screw through to hold it in place.

As for the vertical play, I think it might just be because of wear on the lockbar? This is especially plausible if the delica is old and has been used heavily.

3. Crux

Crux Loaded Pockets

There is a nub that seems to be made to fit into a liner (there is a small hole of about the same size in the liner) but I can't get it in and it would seem that making it fit would cause the scales be unaligned.

Here's a picture from this thread. There is a small nub on the lower right corner of the spacer:

[​IMG]

Both liners have the hole but I don't know if it is supposed to have the nub of the spacer inserted:
    [​IMG]

I have another question. Is it normal for the tension that once kept the blade closed and would cause it to snap closed to go away? I imagine it would be due to wear of the lockbar. I've had the new Delica for less than two weeks but have played with opening and closing a bit.

4. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

I don't think the tension that causes it to snap closed should ever go away, no. It hasn't on my Stretch, which I've had for several months, and it hasn't on my Delica either, which I've been playing with a lot lately.

There is a little bit of vertical play inherent in lockbacks, if it 'clicks' up and down I think it's fine. My stretch and endura have it, but my delica doesn't-but this doesn't mean that your example couldn't have this very slight play.

That nub on the backspacer has to fit into both liners. If it doesn't, the rest of the knife won't line up right. In order to put it together properly, start with what you have in the top picture and try this:

1. Take the screw for the lockbar completely out of the knife. This is the next screw to the left of the pivot screw.

2. Fit the blade and the rest of the washers over the pivot screw.

3. Take the other liner and scale and install them, making sure the nub, the three screws through the backspacer, and the pivot screw all line up and go in the correct spot in the liner.

4. Install and tighten all of the screws, minus the one for the lockbar. Now you should have the entire knife put together but missing the lockbar and lockbar screw. Make sure that the spring doesn't fall out of its slot.

5. With the knife open, push the lockbar into place (down against the backspring). At the same time push the screw for the lockbar through. It's easiest to put the screw through the liner and against the lockbar, and then push it against a table while pushing the lockbar down. It should line up pretty easily and the screw should go through the lockbar and both liners. Finally tighten that screw.

Hopefully this helps, when I took a lockback apart for the first time I couldn't get it back together because I was trying to put everything together on one side of the knife at once, but you have to put the scales together before you put pressure on the back spring.

5. StuntZombie

StuntZombie Loaded Pockets

rueingeni hit it right on the head. The only way I was able to get my Delica back together was by completely assembling the scales, then sliding in the spring, lockbar, and blade.

If you notice that it doesn't have the same tension as before, then one of those plastic nubs on the backspacer is probably buggered up. The same thing happened to me with another Delica, and it felt like there was a lot less tension when I would open and close it.

Oops..didn't realize this was a ****** thread. My apologies.

6. beardown

beardown Empty Pockets

I put mine together completely then slide in the blade then washers and perfect every time.

7. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

That's why I'll be leaving my knife alone and not taking it apart. It works fine from the factory, and hasn't loosened up at all after a couple years of daily carry.

8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Aww, come on, where's the fun in that?

Seriously, though, I think the Delica and Endura 4's were specifically designed to allow for user breakdown.

9. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Yes, you are right. I've been tempted, but so far I'm managed to fight off the urge. I did buy myself a set of torx bits, though. So far I've only used them to tighten a loose pocket clip.