1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Definition of "hipster"

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by 0dBm, Sep 14, 2016.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

No, the hippies have gone mainstream. They got education and shed the "hippie" out of them.

2. Torque

Torque Loaded Pockets

You live life long enough, you see the same subculture generation after generation, just with different labels (i.e., punks, hippies, yuppies, grungers, gen-x'ers, hipsters, etc.)

They should really just be called "I'm newly educated but I hate the MAN, I'm confused about the meaning of life, and I'm broke, so let's band together and create our own fake counter-culture identity complete with new (aka - rehashed) fashion style."

But I guess that label would be just a bit too long. :rofl:

3. CPT Edward Rutledge

CPT Edward Rutledge Empty Pockets

How did the hipster burn himself?

He drank his coffee before it was cool..

What's hipster peer pressure?

"Come on, no one else is doing it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Soul Singer.:cool:

0dBm likes this.
  5. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

Never mind the hipsters, heres sex pistols!oi!

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Janis a hipster??? No way! Too much of a rebel! And pipes like we never see/hear anymore!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Airborne 1, baccar-3 and 0dBm like this.
  7. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

In 1960s Britain, Hipsters were low-waisted trousers worn by the younger generation. Luckily I don't still have mine.

8. mrsleeve

mrsleeve Loaded Pockets

I hate hipsters, At least once a month one them wants to buy or know where I bought, or how I "aged" my long time Fav. Flison jacket. I have had it for well over a decade and long before Flison became main stream hipster. Its worn, its got a couple holes in the cuffs, it shows its use, and I have put every mark, cut and crease into it though USING IT for both work and play. I reproof it a couple of times a year, and it goes with me everywhere it just wont die.

Because I wear my work boots everywhere, and my garments tend to be a bit more "old world" heavy duty stuff (grew up on a farm and know what lasts and will keep you warm or cool) since I work out side, I get accused of being a hipster (or park ranger) from time to time and that aggravates me even more.

malraux72, baccar-3 and SeanByrdman like this.
  9. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Dude chill....It is not that bad !;) They could also confuse you with a Lumbersexual:D......
    I can totally relate to your dusgust of being pestered how you aged this...... Same experience here with my old Barbour jackets (Staple of mine long before they became hip. Some inherited from my Euro hunting father in law. ) On the other hand I managed to sell a 14 year old Filson bag to a hipster in Italy for a cost of two new ones....

What is your beef with Park Rangers...?

SeanByrdman likes this.
  10. SeanByrdman

SeanByrdman Loaded Pockets

You sir are evil. I salute you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Thank you:devil:

SeanByrdman likes this.
  12. mrsleeve

mrsleeve Loaded Pockets

whats that old saying about a fool and his money..... lol

Dont get me started on Park Rangers, though its not really their fault, but around here we have Millions of Acres of National park/National Forests/State Forest and Public use Timber and trust lands. Its not so much the ranges I have issues with its the mantra that comes from on high they have to promote and enforce that gets my goat.

I live in both real Logger country ( neighbors on both sides are headed to the woods about 4:15am everyday), Hipster/lumbersexual country (have to make it to Starbucks before 930ish) and stupid rich urbanite vacation home territory, destination of the great California exodus. So yeah to say there is a bit of culture clash around here is a understatement, couple all this with the 2.5 MILLION+ tourists that pass through here in a year.... Sorry I am getting off track.....

Last edited by mrsleeve, Sep 21, 2016
  13. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

14. bigant2984

bigant2984 Loaded Pockets

i live in queens ny and the hipster population is growing, my definition and not to be mean is someone who likes to dress in rags look like a bum not work an sleep in a cube and are happy sharing space with strangers on CL

15. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

I think any time the term, "hipster," is defined, a hipster revolts. One cannot define such a word. It is a fluid term. Hipsterism can merely be felt.

Gag.

16. aasoverteakettle

aasoverteakettle Loaded Pockets

17. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Hipsters try too hard to be undefined.

A "Hipster" bag could be a classic Jansport, or a Saddleback. It just depends on how well it represents "Irony" when combined with the rest of the costume. A <s>$500</s> $800 Saddleback combined with retro print T-shirt and corduroy pants Is "Hipster". A Jansport with an Armani Jacket, no shirt and tight jeans is also "Hipster".

Edit, undervalued the Saddleback

garza likes this.
  18. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

The motorcycles were called 'Tritons' ( Norton featherbed frame, Triumph engine) the riders were called 'Rockers'. The term Café Racer hadn't been invented. Hipsters were low-waisted trousers worn by 'Mods' (who were the polar opposites of 'Rockers')
    In those days only WW II RAF pilots wore handlebar moustaches.

baccar-3 and malraux72 like this.
  19. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Please do continue. This is really cool !

20. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Hipsters pay a "premium" for Pabst Blue Ribbon which in my younger days I considered to be in the same league as MIlwaukee's Best. PBR still taste like cheap beer and typical bad American lager.

Why drink coffee from a Mason jar? A hipster recruiter at the office has a leather sleeve with a handle for his Mason jar.