1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Definition of "hipster"

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by 0dBm, Sep 14, 2016.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I was perusing fellow member jame's thread, "I'm an old guy in search of a non-hipster/non military EDC bag." jame mentioned the word "hipster." I've seen the term used frequently but, until now, I haven't seen a comprehensive definition.

As follows is the result of a simple Google search. Urban dictionary seems to have created a body of knowledge that appears to be entertaining at best.

Do you subscribe to this concept? Are your a "hipster?' Some of us were "hippies" a few generations ago.

Link

"Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.
    The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively.
    Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses.
    Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer.
    The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities.
    Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.
    Hipsters shun mainstream societal conventions that apply to dating preferences and traditional "rules" of physical attraction.

It is part of the hipster central dogma not to be influenced by mainsream advertising and media, which tends to only promote ethnocentric ideals of beauty. The concepts of androgyny and feminism have influenced hipster culture, where hipster men are often as thin as the women they date.
    The muscular and athletic all-American male ideal is not seen as attractive by confident and culturally-empowered hipster women who instead view them as symbols of male oppression, sexism, and misogyny. Likewise, culturally-vapid sorority-type girls with fake blond hair, overly tanned skin, and "Britney Spears tube-tops" are not seen as attractive by cultured hipster males who instead see them as symbols of female insecurity, low self-esteem, and lack of cultural intelligence and independent thinking.
    Hipsters are also very racially open-minded, and the greatest number of interracial couples in any urban environment are typically found within the hipster subculture.
    Although hipsters are technically conformists within their own subculture, in comparison to the much larger mainstream mass, they are pioneers and leaders of the latest cultural trends and ideals.
    For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer.
    The true irony here is that many of the detractors of hipster culture are in fact unknowingly following a path that hipsters have carved out years before them. This phenomena also applies to music as well, as many bands have become successful and known to mainstream audiences only because hipsters first found and listened to them as early-adopters of new culture. Once certain concepts of fashion and music have reached mainstream audiences, hipsters move on to something new and improved.
    Because of the rise of various online photo-blog and social networking sites, insights into urban hipster culture is reaching sheltered suburban audiences at an exponential rate. Cultural "norms" have been deconstructed by hipster culture as a whole.
    Hipsterism is often dismissed as just an image thing by some, but the culture as a whole is effecting changes in society, leading to feelings of insecurity and resentment in people who are no longer a part of the cultural ruling class.
    For example, a lot of anti-hipster sentiment evidently comes from culturally-clueless suburban frat boy types who feel that the more sensitive, intelligent, and culturally aware hipster ideal threatens their insecure sense of masculinity.
    Anti-hipster sentiment often comes from people who simply can't keep up with social change and are envious of those who can.
    A conversation outside a hipster bar in downtown NYC:

Frat Boy #1: Dude, are you having any luck picking up chicks in there?

Frat Boy #2: Man...I haven't experienced anything like this before. These chicks are totally rejecting me and going for all these hipster guys in tight pants and shaggy hair instead.

Frat Boy #1: Maybe we should head back up to that bar in Murry Hill where you hooked up with that drunk b*tch from Alpha Sigma Phi last week?

Frat Boy #2: Yeah...I don't think we have what it takes to compete with these guys in here. These hipster chicks won't even give us the time of the day!

#hipsterism #indie-rock #androgyny #feminism #subculture #tight jeans #shaggy hair #music #intellect #wit #counter-culture #liberal
    by Trey Parasuco November 22, 2007"

Moshe ben David and HardToHandle like this.
  2. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

What a crock of used hay, emanating from the southbound end of a northbound horse!

3. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Interesting. Now would you get me my cafe latte, please?

:p

4. dcmassena

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

Hipsters are basically upper middle class dudes pretending to be grunge.

garza, jocsen, RogerStenning and 2 others like this.
  5. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I'm fairly confident that I don't meet the definition of hipster. And speaking as an educated person that is appalled with the new societal norms, I'm perfectly fine with that. :rofl:

6. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Blackheart, I was thinking more along the lines of...

"Shut up, and go make me a sammich, bitch!"

0dBm and Moshe ben David like this.
  7. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

My personal definition is someone trying a bit too hard to appear not to care, whilst wearing a combination of chain wallet and J Crew cast offs, in a calculated manner. This morning it was the shirtless guy riding his bike like a devil... With no shirt... 51F air temp...

Got to love the Urban Dictionary. My treasured Christmas gift is their word of day calendar each year. A lot of laughs over the course of a year.

0dBm likes this.
  8. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

I can tell you that it was definitely a hipster that wrote that particular Urban Dictionary definition...

9. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Having escaped the land of this particular brand of person, I have many opinions about what a hipster is, but I'll sum it up in a single phrase that I find accurate (and just makes me gosh darn happy every time I say it); pretentious dou$&e bag.

Ahhh, much better...

garza, Russ Prechtl, kikaida and 3 others like this.
  10. SeanByrdman

SeanByrdman Loaded Pockets

My definition is that they my natural enemy alongside most vegans and other such individuals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ Prechtl, kikaida, 0dBm and 2 others like this.
  11. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

The true definition of hipster is someone who rides a cafe' racer built on a Triumph motorcycle base, has a handlebar moustache, wears a really nice leather jacket, meets up with others of the same genre' to travel from bar to bar as fast as they can.
    To be a 100% true hipster one must be born in the UK.
    One more item: A half helmet along with goggles must be worn.

0dBm and HardToHandle like this.
  12. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

No, to be a "true" hipster is not to even understand how to START a motorcycle, let alone drive one!

Davidka, baccar-3, 0dBm and 1 other person like this.
  13. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

There, fixed the definition.

14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

15. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

There are(were) true hipsters out there.
    The following is a picture of one.

[​IMG]hipsterjj by ?, on Flickr
    photo courtesy of the WWW.

16. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

So the hippies are calling themselves hipsters now? Big deal. :D

17. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I'd like to see the "hipsters", or "hippies" (hipsters in particular) truly use EDC to their benefit.

18. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

clearly this is the most popular thread on EDCF in a long time! (for some reason).

19. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Most hippys I know put preppers to shame. Kinda silly to say they don't have EDC. Weird?

As for Hipsters they may need mustache wax and a skateboard tool. What's the big deal?

20. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

She was a rock star, not a hippie.

Airborne 1 likes this.