1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Definition of EDC

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Nov 22, 2020.

1. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

Is the definition of EDC to you...

A) Carrying different gear everyday, as long as it's done everyday
    Or
    B) Carrying the same gear everyday

I use EDC as a term of just being prepared daily with carry gear but I take the literal term to be carrying the same thing everyday.

The thread on gun rotation made me think about this a bit more than I normally do...

2. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

For me it isn't a particular item or items I do or don't carry but more or less a list of items I carry. Even then I don't carry the same exact list daily as that changes on where I'm gonna be. I'm gonna have a knife and pea shooter on me daily. On the farm it might be a fixed blade and hand cannon but I'm not gonna go to the city and eat dinner with that. So even in the same day what I'm toting might change.

Now something like my keys, a can of snuff, wallet, and zippo are a set list. Other stuff rotates around and changes. Some days I might carry a multitool, truthfully I aint had one on me for a few months. Tomorrow if I think I'm gonna do something where it might be handy that might change.

LivingUpNorth and kikaida like this.
  3. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

My definition of edc is...

Some extra items (not my keys, wallet, watch, which are things I must have for normal function like travel, work, business, etc., regardless) that I’ve learned through the years to carry in my pocket everyday because I’ve found that I’ve needed them often enough to get me through both expected and unexpected happenings that may or my not come up from day to day. A pocket flashlight, a pocket knife/multi tool, a pocket sized pen. Yes, I tend to carry the same things everyday as my edc, but that isn’t a part of my definition.

Since this is posted in a gun thread, I should mention I feel the same about guns. I decided what guns worked best for my needs decades ago, and these many years later I still feel those guns are the best for my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 dmattaponi, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  4. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

EDC has become more of a retail thing.
    In its earliest days, it was based on carrying basic items daily. Now, it has morphed into some people showing off expensive gear that they can afford and will never use daily.

5. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I agree with a lot of this...we often do get caught up in the buying of and posting pictures of...I know I have (although for me it never had anything to do with cost. Fortunately nowadays I purchase very little new edc gear, and I’ve been carrying the same basic (humble)edc, a run of the mill SAK, a keychain Leatherman, a cheap Chinese flashlight that meets my functional requirements, and a simple but useful Bullet Pen for years now. Not much to brag about, but I still do like the edc picture threads...but even in sharing what I carry in edc threads, I often try to avoid listing brand names, instead choosing to just list items like a “knife”, a AA flashlight”, a “pen”, because I think it’s more important to share what I carry with others, not the brand of what I carry (for those who might still be just trying to figure out what is useful to edc).
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 dmattaponi, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    FiaOlleDog and Bad Company like this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe you his is how you look at it but there is no right or wrong way to see this that I can tell?

We each carry what we feel we need to period and it doesnt matter if anyone else does it our way.

I admit that I am baffled often at how few items look used at all here but so what?
    We each EDC for ourselves and it can be fun to see what else gets carried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Bad Company

Brother, this is America.
    We are each entitled to our own opinions, are we not? So, you don't agree with my opinion?

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

No I pretty much said exactly that we are each entitled to our own opinions.

I just have to wonder why you think you know someone elses motivations?

But if this is going to be one of those extended things I apologize for voicing mine in advance.

9. Bad Company

Happy Thanksgiving brother.

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You too
    Thanks

11. Mikhail Weiss

Mikhail Weiss Loaded Pockets

EDC for me is about the stuff I put in my pockets when I get up in the morning, or when I go out for the day. That always includes a knife. Sometimes a gun, sometimes a wallet, sometimes a flashlight, sometimes a phone.

12. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I will be 59 soon there are 2 things that I always carry. Since before jr. highschool a knife and a source of fire . If I have pockets on I will have those on me. Those along with the others things I carry have evolved over the years. In example kitchen matches in a match safe to bic to clipper lighters .A SAK has been my basic knife for 30 years now . I will have a SAK, lighter and small light always. if not at work I will have a gun . In general I will have a SAK Walker or a #6 Opinel a clipper lighter and a single AAA Olight or a single CR123 Fenix light and a Glock you mentioned the carry rotation thread . I have different guns that I carry but they are always a Glock because the controls are the same

Nick4305 likes this.
  13. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I tend to break down EDC into two categories. My EDC gear and my EDC gear. (That sounded much differently in my head.)

My first level EDC gear is the stuff I carry every day no matter what: Wallet, Phone, knife, bandanna, zippo, pen, marker, keys, and talisman...and nowadays a mask. The wallet, phone, keys, and pen are the only of that group that never change. Different Bandanna out of maybe thirty, different knife out of seven or so, etc. That is truly my Every Day Carry gear. If I'm out of the house I always have a bandanna, phone, keys, etc.

Then I have my second level of Every Day Carry gear which is the gear I might carry based on what I plan to do for the day. My EDC bags stay in the car, and I don't carry it into work, but if I decide on a hike, one of them goes with me. (The bags range from fanny pack, small single shoulder bag, and backpack.) Water bottle, first aid kit, flashlight, Leatherman, tools and chargers are all in the EDC bags in the car. I dump or add to whichever bag based on what I am doing, hiking in the woods, silly to bring a Leatherman, tools, and electronic cables and chargers.

I think I consider something to be part of my EDC if it falls into the following general definition, something that would be useful to me and is small and light enough to be carried on my person for an entire day. That is not to say I could or would carry every single piece of EDC gear I own at the same time. 30 bandannas, a dozen knives, three different bags, a change of clothes, extra jacket, four or five flashlights, a half dozen water bottles, etc.

Grizz

14. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

EDC is a state of mind

15. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Those were the days, use to be like that over here in the UK too, we once had freedom of speech, well a form of it and folk accepted different opinions at least. Sadly not anymore, even just questioning whether or not a vaccine may actually be safe for example, you'll be censored/shut down for having that opinion.

16. M. Reno

M. Reno Loaded Pockets

From the biker world:

EDC forever
    Forever EDC

Just having some fun. Hope everyone had great Thanksgiving!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

17. PhrankKastle

PhrankKastle Loaded Pockets

I carry the same gear everyday unless I get something new that I like better which may replace something.

The only piece of gear that has never changed is my Buck 110 which has been with me everyday since my dad gave me my first one on my 10th birthday in 1976. My carry guns have changed from time to time over the years but for 10 months now it’s been my Ruger SP101 in 327 Fed Mag and I don’t foresee that changing anytime soon same goes for my Leatherman Wave and my Fenix flashlight. Those 4 pieces of gear will be with me for a long time to come.

18. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Like :censored:, I can't define it exactly, but I know it when I see it...;)

19. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I carry stuff every day. Some things are the same each day, some are different. It depends on what I'm doing, where I'm going, and how I feel. The knife (or knives) I carry is the most variable piece of my gear.