1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Defiance (SyFy)

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Si_K, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

We seem to have a healthy sci-fi fan base here so I thought I'd start a thread about this.

Is this released in the States yet? Any of our EDC brethren watching it?

Set to air mid April in the UK, SyFy have just started showing a decent trailer for it and it looks interesting. Robots, mutants, aliens and conflicts. What's not to like?

But is it a peach or a lemon?

2. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

No clue yet.... US premiere is set for April 15 in the US.

The US website for the series is http://www.defiance.com/en/series/

Even though ads/trailers for it started later, Defiance will actually be preceded by BBC America's premiere of Orphan Black

Most Sci-Fi series have dies because of over-extended budgets or over-complex storyline plots that leave the viewer feeling left behind after just missing one episode.

ATB,
    Sam

3. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I think it has an interesting premise. Homeless aliens, not necessarily evil ones. The terraforming gone wrong thing. I hope it will be on at a time I can watch.

Sent by Owl Post

4. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

This looks interesting my only problem is I have trouble watching some of the SciFy channel movies as they sometimes come off as being lame. If the first episode is decent maybe I 'll stick around to watch some more of them.

5. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

Syfy movies are lame.

But their series are pretty good, and this one doesn't look like it has effects on a (sub) par with dinocroc vs sharkasarous.

I only have 2 misgivings about the series.

Apparently its plot will develop alongside the game? Not sure how that would work but who knows.

And it has Julie Benz in it. But I'll be fair and say this comes from her portrayal of Rita in Dexter - she annoyed me so much in that I cheered when she died...

6. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Displaced/homeless aliens has been covered to some degree in:

Alien Nation - Movie | TV Series
    Earth: Final Conflict - TV Series
    V - Original Series | Reboot

It will be interesting to see what the take of this series is. Missed the "terraforming gone wrong" aspect.

Apparently, to ratchet up interest, they have posted the first 14 minutes for early viewing:
    In Canada, there is sneak preview posted, but I can't verify that's the same thing as it gives a "Geographic Restriction" error. ​

Previews don't seem to have been posted yet in the UK or other regions. ​

ATB,
    Sam

7. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Well, V and Final Conflict's aliens were evil.

Sent by Owl Post

8. barlas

barlas Loaded Pockets

I am tired of starting new interesting Sci-fi/Fantasy shows that they cancel after a season or two.

I read about the game couple weeks ago, and it sounds interesting, also, it seems a high-budgeted project (I think there is already a deal of 10 years of new content or something), so maybe they won't cancel this show...

Maybe I should go and watch the trailer!

9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

My recollection was that both series had "rebel" factions that sided with humans. While it's easy to characterize them as evil overall, I am filled with chagrin over what those we characterize as "good guys" in our own history have done in the name of "Manifest Destiny", religious/political intolerance, or just good old-fashioned gold. The winners of such conflicts always have the best PR departments.

It would be frightening to imagine what we would do and what lines we would cross in the face of species wide extinction.

ATB,
    Sam

keith1234 likes this.
  10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

If the networks didn't regular offer up quality Sci-Fi programming at their sacrificial altar, there wouldn't be room in the line up for:

The Wayward Adventures of Preachers' Daughters

or

What "Real" Housewives' Lives Are Like (
    The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
    The Real Housewives of Atlanta
    The Real Housewives of New York City
    The Real Housewives of Orange County
    The Real Housewives of New Jersey
    The Real Housewives of Vancouver
    The Real Housewives of Miami
    The Real Housewives of D.C.
    Mob Wives
    Basketball Wives)

or

Child Beauty Pageant Contestants (Toddlers & Tiaras, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo)

or

Competitive Taxidermy :eek:

The future of humanity is seriously ripe for debate.

ATB,
    Sam

aphid and Mighty Max like this.
  11. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

While it runs along side a comic book and not a game, The Walking Dead is doing incredible and has quite a following. It all comes down to writing, a decent budget doesn't hurt either.

You've got that right. Sometimes they have OK ideas but only a $27.00 budget which really elevates the "cheese" factor. Other times they just copy a major motion picture with a $32.00 budget and other times they make, "Sharktopus" ****** .

12. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

Well, having watched the pilot last night I'm sorry to say that it looks promising!

Some slightly dodgy SFX but it was used sparingly where it was obvious (the beginning with the buggy driving through the wastes), and during the battle it was much less obvious.

Some nice touches, I particularly like the use of the strandbeest http://www.strandbeest.com/ - really made me smile. As did the doctor.

It's got a touch of Firefly about it, albeit without space travel.

If it builds on this it could be a winner.

13. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I watched it too, and I wasn't as disappointed as I expected to be. I guess the show benefited from low expectations. The characters were extremely cliche. Mal Solo (Han Reynolds?) was a fun but obviously derivative character. I hope the week to week show is better than the pilot, but my hopes are still low. I think a lot of the pilot was slow and a bit strained becuase they're trying to establish the world and the back story, so there's a lot of "Hi!, this is exactly who I and and what I'm about to do in about 20 words".

It's going to have a hard time overcoming the amazing productions that define the genre, like Firefly and Star Wars, but if the week to week stuff is fun and interesting (regardless of setting), it'll be good.

14. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I tried watching it but couldn't get passed the first 20 minutes. It just didn't keep my attention.

Froley likes this.
  15. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Lets get some rates between 1 and 10 with 10 being the best. I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet and don't want to waste time if its not worth it.

16. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I won't say it's not worth it; I think it being a pilot had a lot to do with the poor story telling. If you're big into scifi stuff, i'd say it's worth it to watch the 2 hour pilot. If not, you can probably pick up all the characters in the first real episode. If you're going to press me into a number with 0 being sharktopus and 10 being firefly, I'd put it at a 5.5-6 . The CGI is so bad it's jarring at times, but the characters look like they could be interesting, assuming they don't fall into all the cliche tropes and get some original stories.

Here's a pretty accurate review/recap from where I sit...

17. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

I'd give it a strong 7. I do hope it can build on its start as I think it has quite an interesting world to explore. It's on a par with other syfy series (I'm thinking Eureka, Warehouse 13, Continuum). All of those have negatives but they work as a hole.
    I'm just hopeful.

18. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

It rated an article in the new TV Guide and rated it 6/10.

19. barlas

barlas Loaded Pockets

Don't rate it high, I don't have time to watch any more shows! :p

20. bud760
    • In Omnia Paratus

bud760 Loaded Pockets

I dvr'd it and also give it a strong 7. Check out the leading mans backpack when they were in the forest to retrieve the thing. It's molle gear!