1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Defense plus moonlight mode?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Maave, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Glad that you found the information helpful.

Maave likes this.
  2. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

HDS rotary. Comes on high and can be turned to very low lumns.

3. Roguehunter

Roguehunter Loaded Pockets

Lenslight has all the things you are looking for except for the price change. Aluminum ones are awesome. They are instant momentary high in the first click and second moonlight mode. Built really well. I have a titanium one and the build on it is the best i have seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

Those two look good but are way outside my price range. I like the HDS Rotary's selector on the rear, it would be easy to make a habit of switching to single-mode when pocketing it. But since those are pricey I'll probably get the 4Sevens QS2L-X. I'll post results after carrying it a while

5. Drjones

Drjones Loaded Pockets

My opinion:

- Use the right tool for the job.

- I've never been totally comfortable with multi-mode flashlights. When you need bright light, you NEED it, without fumbling.

- I would get a single-stage / single-mode BRIGHT light, like a SF Fury or similar.

- Also carry a smaller, less bright light.

- Basically; get two different lights.

- Remember, two is one and one is none; there are so many extremely high-quality, TINY flashlights on the market these days, there's no reason to ever have less than 3 on you at all times.

6. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I agree, but there is a few lights out there that hide the low modes away under stress - the SF L2, LX2, A2 etc are a perfect example - press gently for low - press hard for high - under stress you will tend to just mash the button down and only get off or high....

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Hilarious! That is the single best piece of advice I have ever heard on a "defensive flashlight"!

Do you mind if I quote you on this, Holliday?

Back to the OP's question, I think the simplest way to have all three modes instantly available is a magnetic control ring flashlight. I have a Niteye EYE 10 that often does night-stand duty because it has an intuitive multi-level UI. So far, I have not found a UI I like better, though it is too bulky, IMO, for EDC.

8. JoeLiberty

JoeLiberty Loaded Pockets

That four sevens light looks close and I considered it (I'm looking for the exact same thing... plus a good pocket clip). But the UI seemed too fiddly to be a real contender.
    Four-Sevens HAD another light that I think did this. The QT2L-X "Burst Mode". You can't get it anymore but I think all the parts are still available on their 'accessories' page. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?368020-Foursevens-Quark-Tactical-QT2L-X-Burst-Mode-review
    The UI was based on head tightened or loosened and a forward-switch clicky. You can program a single mode to each, such that you get
    Head tight: high only, light press for momentary, click for constant.
    Head loose: moonlight only, light press for momentary, click for constant.
    Only those two modes would be immediately available. Any other output may require you to re-program the light.

9. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

The QS2L-X is great so far. The size is right - slim CR123A (not 18650 width), good grabby size. Max is 950 lumen turbo until it ramps down due to heat. The UI is almost perfect in the default mode. The side button does various controls, it's not as complicated as it first seemed. The back button works independently, it's momentary-on turbo. Out of the box the back button is set to strobe, which is a good option for SD, just not my preferred one so I've changed it to turbo. That is exactly what I wanted.

Only downside- if the light is on from the side button, hitting the back button turns it off first. I'd rather have the back button go turbo immediately, overriding the side button, then turning off when released. This might be changed in a firmware update but I don't have an iPhone available so I can't muck with that yet. That is not an issue when grabbing the light fresh from the pocket so it's not a dealbreaker.

And it has moonlight mode!

Yeah that's what actually led me to the QS2L-X. I was looking at the QT2L-X Burst but it was discontinued and then I stumbled on the QS2L-X.