1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Deep carry....am I missing anything?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by moostapha, Dec 2, 2015.

1. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Loaded Pockets

I may have missed it, but what position on your belt do you usually carry this setup?

moostapha likes this.
  2. JigMeister

JigMeister Empty Pockets

+1 on the Bodyguard. Carried in pocket in a Sticky holster. (and a spare mag in the other front pocket with my wallet. Works quite well for me.

moostapha likes this.
  3. Cmath

Cmath Loaded Pockets

I carry a crossbreed mini tuck with my g43 and it works great for tucked or untucked shirts without any real printing. Just 2 black clips exposed over the belt that don't look out of place at all. Or I carry my j-frame in a Blackhawk pocket holster in l/f or r/f pocket. Depending on wether or not I'm carrying my g43 iwb.

moostapha likes this.
  4. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Barrel at 12 o'clock.

5. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Can you tie your own shoe laces? Honest question... my rig only extends ~1" above my belt line and that makes lace tying tricky.

moostapha likes this.
  6. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Zero problems.

reppans likes this.
  7. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Loaded Pockets

Oh duh, that makes sense with the magazine placement. Unless you were super limber.

Have you thought about moving it to your hip for when you tuck your shirt in. A bigger gun will probably conceal better tucked in there. You'll probably have to get a new holster, or at least a new mag carrier.

Just a thought.

moostapha likes this.
  8. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I have. And I have a couple that work there.

It prints a lot worse. Because of how I'm shaped, I can't really conceal anything but a really tiny gun unless my shirt is overly bloused and I don't really move.

I found a temporary solution...

Basically, I take the inner belt from my cr speed rig and just put the aiwb holster on that underneath the shirt and pants. If I let it and my pants ride high, I can sit and bend over. I still have to blouse a bit, but it's not bad. It makes me look a little fat, but...whatever. It works better than the smart carry, at least...that thing feels like it'll spit out any gun I try.

I ordered a belly band to try. I think I probably won't trust it without figuring out how to integrate a trigger guard cover, but I want to try it.

9. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

So, my LGS is awesome.

Around the start of this thread, I bought an m&p 9c. It didn't work out. It IS smaller while still easy to shoot, but it doesn't make a huge difference in concealment. It prints exactly the same, just a half an inch over.

So, I returned it and got a Shield instead. (Did I mention my LGS is awesome....they have a return policy.)

I'll probably feel undergunned with it, but 214 rounds later (what I randomly brought to the range that day) and I kind of wonder why I didn't get one sooner. Past about 30 feet is sketchy, 25yds is impossible, and from 15-25 feet is slow...but inside 10 feet or so, I can run it as fast as my Open M&P with the same hits.

And it disappears pretty well in my smart carry.

BUT the trigger is way too easy to pull through the material.

So, I see 2 good options moving forward.

1. Have a trigger guard cover made and anchor it in whichever wins between the smart carry and the belly band that should be here in a couple days.

2. Talk to the guy who made the holster in the first post and see about integrating a tough elastic belt like the smart carry has in a way that doesn't require bulky clips.

Thoughts?

10. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

I've not tried any 'deep carry' methods personally, but I've researched them a bit. Smart carry & Thunder Wear(I think that's right) make similar products. J.J. Arcaza was doing some marketing for a kydex deep carry rig called the .50. But it seems currently unobtainable unless you contact him directly.

Just another possible option.

moostapha likes this.
  11. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

343KD, I watched his video. It seems like it doesn't actually protect the trigger guard except from the outside. I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that.

ETA:

That being said, I think I like the idea. I guess option 3 would be to buy some kydex and see about making something similar that actually protects the trigger guard (and carries an extra mag).

How hard is working with kydex? I've watched a couple YouTube videos and they all make it seem pretty easy.

343KD likes this.
  12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Or use the thumb safety when carrying it in anything fabric?

moostapha likes this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I'm left handed. There is no way to make a shield's thumb safety usable by southpaws, so I bought one without it to keep it from being accidentally engaged.

Also, that safety is TINY. I wouldn't trust myself to hit it.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  14. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I agree, there's no way for a lefty to reasonably use the thumb safety on the Shield. I carry my Shield with the thumb safety off, but I train to wipe the thumb safety off during my draw stroke, just in case. I will not own a handgun where the thumb safety (if it has one) doesn't work that way.

moostapha likes this.
  15. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

chaosmagnet, that's how I draw my 1911, but I use it for competition, not carry. It's way too much weight for the round count.

I've only played with a shield's TS briefly, but it also seemed a bit low for me. I'm not convinced that, even if I were a righty, it would be right. My strong-side thumb winds up above the bottom of the slide. That works with 1911s and the bigger m&ps with TSs, but not the shield.

Basically, I have only really liked 1911 and 2011 safeties. Anything that strays too much from that design makes me wonder why anyone would bother.

The advantage is that my draw is exactly the same for all of the guns I own and would reasonably expect to buy (though in different places)...just with a 1911, I knock the safety off as part of getting my grip.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  16. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I've competed with 1911s too. I move my thumb like every handgun has a safety that needs to be moved down. Works well on my AR-15 as well. Not so much on my Remington 870.

17. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

moostapha

A few things, just now getting back on the forums after a bit of time away.

For the remoras, there is a specific model for tucking in the shirt. It has an extra flap with non sticky material inside that you tuck the shirt into so there's nothing sticky holding onto the shirt. I don't have one of the tuck able models so I can't say how well it works. With a non tuckable model I've had no issues with a p238, but I personally wouldn't carry a heavier gun without a lot of testing around the house in one. I also won't carry this way if I expect to be moving around a good bit, I just don't trust it fully. I do carry mags now fairly regularly in their mag holders IWB and feel pretty confident in those.

For the belt, Ares Aegis enhanced. All the way. I've never had the belt sag or twist on me. Heaviest load has been a p229 in a RCS phantom, with a RCS single AR 15 mag holder and double p229 mag holder on the support side. No issues at all. The "buckle" is weird. I like it, but it can be very difficult to unbuckle when tightened down for concealed carry. I use a pen, glove, key or something similar to disengage the bar when that happens. You can do it with a thumb but it's pretty uncomfortable.

18. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

So, the end result is that I'm ordering some kydex and all the associated stuff and just making what I'm pretty sure I want.

I night have to try one of those belts eventually, but again...it's not the belt, it's a 4+ lb loadout carried appendix. The belt doesn't sag so much as it tilts.

19. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

We picked up the Dix trigger guard cover from Detroit Holsters, sounds like it would work with your Smart Carry?

20. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

For the tilt with the suggested belt you could probably pull the top of the belt and get a slight bit more of the top of the belt through the buckle than the bottom. That should ensure there's no sagging. The enhanced version is double thick, I'd be surprised if it tilted away form you.

I'm thinking about buying a black one later next year (have a brown one now). If I do before you buy one I'd send one to you and let you try it. Probably much too large for you but you can just wrap it around further to try it out (42" waist here).