1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dedicated self defense tool in EDC or improvised with other gear? (input appreciated)

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by FenixArcher, Mar 30, 2014.

1. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

None of the items here are dedicated defense items. Yet all are very capable of inflicting serious enough injuries to stop an aggressor. The butt end of the flashlight can damage nerves, break small bones in the hand. Same for the tire pressure gauge. Either can be found in a pocket with reasonable explanation. It gets dark every night, and car tires need to be checked once in a while. You just happened to do that that morning.
    [​IMG]

Cobra 6 Actual and bud760 like this.
  2. snaplok

snaplok Loaded Pockets

Keys have to be the most common and simplest thing to carry. On a chain with EDC "accessories", you have a flail. Assorted Atwoods will leave a pretty nasty impression.

Cobra 6 Actual and DannyX like this.
  3. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

^ Yep, on my keychain is an actual climbing hook, which just happens to fit around my fist. If I had a flashlight at hand, I wouldn't strike with my fists but would use the ends of the flashlight sticking out. Especially if you don't have any combat sports experience.
    Check out "hammer fist", very useful MMA technique in grappling range, standing up, on the ground and anything in between and imagine the same technique using your light.

Cobra 6 Actual and ManVsLawn like this.
  4. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Learn to use your body as a weapon (don't let anyone know you have this skill), and carry pepper spray.

5. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

As Barlow666 mentioned, nearly any object can be used as a weapon. But in all honesty, if you want something for self defense and don't want to get a CCW, find a local martial arts school and take some classes. Nothing you can put in your pockets will have a greater effect on your mental and physical safety than what you put in your head.

ketchupgun and DannyX like this.
  6. Iragon

Iragon Loaded Pockets

Got my Silent Soldier sitting beside my wallet, right rear pocket. Not so easy to deploy under normal situation, but if I am grabbing my wallet, it is right there.
    The sheath is attached to my pants or belt by 550 cords. So I can deploy the blade fast with one hand.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  7. OldeTymer

OldeTymer Empty Pockets

post deleted

Last edited by OldeTymer, Nov 10, 2014
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Go ahead and go into the "details."
    I bet that you could have completely avoided the circumstance altogether. The fact that you stated "almost turned..." likely means that you are just looking for an excuse to carry a weapon. Belay your thoughts. Research what is legal to carry in your municipality. Acquire it; whatever it is. Then train with it until you become so proficient with it that it becomes "2nd nature" to use IF you actually need to use it.

Carry it; legally. Then avoid EVERY possible opportunity to use it. It will make you humble, polite, and astonishingly reluctant to use it.

9. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Well, of course avoiding a situation altogether is the best option.
    Sometimes some things cannot be avoided, even after you try.
    Its these unlikely scenarios we have to be prepared for.
    Your judgement is definitely your best asset.

Last edited by FenixArcher, Feb 1, 2018
    #29 FenixArcher, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Cobra 6 Actual and 0dBm like this.
  10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I highly commend you.

FenixArcher and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  11. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

You live in Mississippi?

Get your ccw and carry a gun.

Hard to find a better defensive tool...

12. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Oh I definitely agree.
    CCW is the way to go

13. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Sigh...... but it lacks the flair of....

[​IMG]

;)

Caveat: I recently watched X-Men: Days Of Future Past.

ATB,
    Sam

14. Fish

Fish Loaded Pockets

Keep some long keys on your keychain and you can look somewhat like this and rake someone in the face. I dont think its illegal to have keys on your person........yet.

15. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I say SAK SuperChamp in a well made sock. I have suggested this before, but if you had a leather pouch with a 10" sturdy strap, I think that would be pretty formidable, and 100% legal.

16. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

If you're truly concerned for your life, carry a firearm.

If you want a tool that could be utilized to defend yourself ... the Dead On Tools Annihilator might work.

Cobra 6 Actual and theirishboxer like this.
  17. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

My recommendation is martial arts. Pick one that fits your body type and preferences, I like muay thai because it gives you many different striking options. bojutsu (staff fighting) is another good one if you are looking for weapon skills cause people don't look at you funny or make a fuss for carraying a walking stick in places. just my opinions tho

18. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Obviously firearms are at the top of the food chain when it comes to weapons. However, you can not carry everywhere. Whether it be a certain country, state, private location, airplane, whatever. It is just not possible. Here is what is possible when avoidance (in a physical altercation) is no longer feasible:
    Temporary sight removers. I don't care if someone is swinging a bat, slashing a knife, or squeezing a trigger- if you can safely, and temporarily (without causing permanent damage) remove someone's ability to see, then you just increased your odds of escaping/surviving. Whether you saturate the eyes with pepper spray (ideal), an alcoholic beverage, even ketchup (yes, ketchup-burns like hell), you will have an enormous advantage in that situation provided you saturate the ocular area and counter/run.

As a self-defense instructor, I had an opportunity to be involved in the development of many different SD tools. For me the choice was a no-brainer; pepper spray. Every (soon to be released) tool we are bringing to market all revolve around the concept of temporary "sight removers" first and foremost.

Bottom line: If you give me an opportunity to temporarily obstruct/remove your sight, then I like my chances.

19. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Below the Bottom Line: If I give you the opportunity to temporarily obstruct/remove my sight, you deserve the best chance possible. :D

20. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Great posts here Holliday, refreshing. Have watched more than one of these type threads go off the deep end.

Now, someone invent a pepper spray flashlight. XM-L T6 on 26650 with two modes - turbo and strobe. Maybe throw in a glass breaker on the tail cap. ;)