1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dedicated Driving Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by saintz, Jul 2, 2015.

1. saintz

saintz Empty Pockets

I am trying to make an effort to wear sunglasses whenever I'm outside, and I've noticed two main times I need sunglasses that have different requirements: Driving and Beach.

Beach:
    Full coverage to block stray light
    Need something either cheap to replace, durable, or with a good warranty

Driving:
    Good peripheral vision

Mainly the need for full coverage at the beach (which would suggest something like Costa) conflicts with the need for good peripheral vision when driving.

If I get dedicated glasses for each activity:
    Fishing sunglasses for beach, with good coverage. Costa (good warranty?) or Berkley from Walmart (cheap).
    Rimless, wire frame, or aviator sunglasses for driving. Good peripheral vision but less coverage and more fragile. Costa, Maui Jim, Oakley, Suncloud all make models that could work.
    Downside, requires switching when I get in/out of car.

One pair for both:
    Wraparound like Oakley, Wiley, or Under Armour that has good coverage but doesn't block peripheral vision.
    Downside, I don't want to look like a soccer coach or mall ninja.

Does anyone switch glasses when driving? Or use one pair for everything?

Last edited by saintz, Jul 2, 2015
  2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I prefer just using one pair. I recently got a pair of Oakley crosshairs with non polarized prism lenses and like them for everything. Right now, they live in my bag. But, I could see keeping them in the car and another pair with black iridium lenses in my bag...I just don't want to spend another $250 on them at the moment.

As for coverage...I'd say that if you do want wraparound glasses, just use good wraparound glasses for everything. It looks a little weird, but I don't know of anybody who sees m-frames or whatever and thinks "mall ninja"...they think something more along the lines of you belonging on a bike or golfing or something. They're still out of place, just not the way you think.

Personally, I've gotten into a wreck because the eye jackets I was driving with blocked my vision...so I don't really care if something looks weird. Before I bought these, I was wearing tifosi cycling glasses everywhere, and the only person who cares was me.

3. saintz

saintz Empty Pockets

Those look good. I could go with that for driving, but I'm not sure it is stout enough for getting bumped around at the beach (my toddler likes to grab my sunglasses off my face).

Some ex-military/cops wear M-frames and similar. I don't want to look like an off duty cop. But agree that most of them look more sporting than military.

That's exactly my thought, and I almost had the same problem wearing Costa fishing glasses when driving. I was hoping the Oakley Flak/Half Jackets wouldn't block peripheral vision, but looks like I need to try them on to make sure. I was also debating cycling glasses because they're pretty much built to the requirements I want, full coverage with full vision.

4. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Tifosi cycling glasses are good. And relatively cheap for what you get.

5. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you don't want wraparound glasses for driving but don't mind looking a little cliché given the current style trends, teardrop shaped Aviator sunglasses were designed by Bausch and Lomb in the '30s to, assuming they're the proper size for your face, put glass lens anywhere and everywhere in the full range of eye motion. They do let a little light leak from the sides, but proper aviators (I would go for American Opticals because the optical quality is just as good or better than my Ray Ban Wayfarers with G15 glass lenses IMHO- both unpolarized and unmirrored, they're American made by a non-Luxxotica company and they're half the price of Ray Bans). I prefer square lenses, like Wayfarers, the old discontinued (John F. Kennedy preferred) AO Saratogas, and Original Pilots (which went to the Moon on Apollo 11- good enough for Buzz Aldrin, good enough for me) for comfort and looks' sake, but the coverage isn't as full as teardrops.

Aviators do tend to be heavy though- doesn't bother me, but it might annoy you. Glass lenses are hard to scratch and tougher than you might think (mine have survived some abuse), but not unbreakable. Polycarbonates are common enough too, lighter and harder to shatter than glass but easier to scratch.

No affiliation to any of the companies or people mentioned above, of course, just a convert to quality sunglasses with functional, good-looking designs and some history :)

Blackheart likes this.
  6. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Check out Smith Optics. Their "Pivlock" and "Parallel" series might fit the bill - they have interchangeable lenses. If not they offer plenty of options.
    I'm a big fan of theirs, good stuff.

echo victor likes this.
  7. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Oakley has a variation called the Ballistic Crosshair. Just as the name implies, it was the first wire frame sunglasses that meets military ballistic impact standards (MIL PRF 32432) for sunglasses. Tactical Distributors has the Gunmetal and grey lens combo on sale and they are a legit Oakley authorized distributor.

8. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

I've been using 2 pairs of Oakley Flak Jackets for the past few months, one with the VR28 black iridium lenses, and the other with Prizm Road lenses. The XLJ lenses provide good peripheral vision for me and I've been happy with their durability (I use the VR28 set as my EDC pair and have done lots of outdoor activities in them)

Between the two lens tints I definitely use the VR28 more because I use it for general EDC, but the Prizm Road lenses keep nice contrast in both high and lower light settings so I don't find myself having to take off my glasses when I go through tunnels or in parking structures as I would have to with the VR28 lenses.

9. swamptart

swamptart Loaded Pockets

I have Oakley ten's I bought them 2 yrs ago in vegas and they are awsome! Black iridium lenses, can't go wrong.

10. Ralys

Ralys Loaded Pockets

I was not a huge fan of the pair of Oakley Flak Jackets I had, and now I have a pair of AO original pilots and a pair of Oakley Plaintiffs; I wear the plaintiffs while driving, typically.

IMO, having multiple pairs of sunglasses for different tasks is better than trying to have one pair that does everything.

11. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Oakley A-wire for driving, Fuel Cell for everything else.

:D

12. saintz

saintz Empty Pockets

I ended up trying most of the Oakley half frames, and stuck with the Bottle Rockets.

Oakley Half Jacket 1.0 - Regular lenses too small, XL lenses look weird
    Oakley Half Jacket 2.0 - Shape just didn't work for me, again lenses are too small and XL looks weird
    Oakley Flak Jacket 1.0 - Too bulky, obscured vision
    Oakley Flak Jacket 2.0 - Actually like these, may get them down the road
    Oakley Fast Jacket - Liked these, but a little bulky and didn't use the lens swap feature
    Oakley Bottle Rocket - These actually have huge lenses and look less sporty/tactical so they are functional and work with nearly anything.

Across all the Oakleys, I found the nylon (O-matter) frames very resilient. You can also get inexpensive replacement lenses, my favorite being Seek optics polarized polycarbonate, so no worries about scratching lenses. The half frames generally do a good job of not blocking peripheral vision and most provide good coverage.

13. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

^What he said.^

Been wearing Ray Ban Aviators for the past quarter century or so. When they're not on my face, they're in my shirt pocket, and the only time they're not on my face is when I'm inside, it's raining, or it's, you know, dark. Went with the aviators because they covered the largest area. When on my motorcycle, I can pop open the helmet's face shield at lower speeds and get some air in there without getting dirt, bugs, or whatever in my eyes.

Bausch and Lomb was a pretty cool company to deal with. I was sorry to hear they had sold off the Ray Ban division. I once mangled a pair of aviators in a minor motorcycle mishap. I went to an eyeglass shop to get another pair and the (very nice) guy there told me "No... No... No... You don't need a new pair, just send that pair into the company for repair. ...and here, here's a box you can mail them in." A couple of weeks later, I got a new pair of sunglasses in the mail along with a bill for like, $20. B&L also put me on their mailing list for their free newsletter, which was actually an interesting read. Lots of info on vision and optics.

I can't knock the wrap-arounds, though. Good peripheral vision and eye protection. I don't wear them because I'm on old guy with a largish head and sumthin' just don't look right, here. :tongue:

edit: Forgot to mention... Next time I'm in the market, I'll be looking into the AO offerings. Luxxotica can bite me. RB's customer service is now nearly non-existent.

Last edited by Blackheart, Nov 17, 2015
    thatotherguy likes this.
  14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I wear eyeglasses with clip-on shades for daily use when I'm going in and out of buildings and the like. If I'm going to be outdoors for a while or if I'm driving, I switch to prescription sunglasses. They are kind of a wrap-around style. For me, they actually have way better peripheral visions and better blocking than my normal glasses with the clip-ons.

The only problem that I've found with the prescription sunglasses is that I have slightly different depth perception than with my normal glasses. I never noticed it until I went to step on the edge of a trench box (giant metal box put in a hole in the ground to the trench open) and nearly missed the edge. Since then, I always make sure I have my normal glasses on construction sites where I might be climbing on anything.

15. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Seregenti makes excellent glass lenses for driving. I keep a pair in my car specifically for driving. My usual every day sunglasses are also Serengeti. I also have a pair of Tifosi that live in my golf bag and another for yard work, playing with the kiddos in the pool, etc.

16. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

This is an EDC group and you can never have too many toys/tools. I do switch off between HD driving glasses and another pair for outside. I keep both clipped to my sun visors.

17. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Jackson Nemesis.

[​IMG]

They come in a bunch of frame/lens combinations including polarized and shade 5 welding and start at less than $6 with the string!

18. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I wear X Loop polarized hi def glasses in the car. They work great even on cloudy days or low light. Frames are a little bulky. Outside I switch to more of a wraparound/sport style polarized X Loop with smaller frames. Very light. Both glasses less than $10 each on that online bid site. I have glasses clips on both visors and switch as needed.

19. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

I've used Serengeti Drivers every since Corning came out with them.
    Man am I old :eek:

Jonb74 likes this.