1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Decreasing profile of FAK

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by ArkansasFan30, Mar 6, 2018.

1. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Please give thoughts and opinions on how to reduce bulk!

This post has nothing to do with my Altoids tin-based drug/boo boo kit.

I've been trying to make what I'll call my IFAK, based on TCCC/TECC guidelines, to something more manageable for my EDC bag.

In doing so, I've removed the Multicam ITS Tactical Fatboy trauma kit (below), which was too big, and for about a week carried only the ITS Tactical EDC trauma kit (TQ& QuikClot). I do not, and will not, carry trauma gear in my pockets, on person. The ITS Fatboy has been repurposed to my "go bag" and chest rig ensemble.

To add a compact chest seal and Israeli bandage, I purchased a Condor medical pouch in what I believe is called the Elite model shown below. I packed and immediately decided to replace the pictured shears with a smaller version. The pouch Velcros onto a panel one would lash to MOLLE webbing, but I don't need that or the bulk so it's been removed. I am left with exposed, male (stiff) Velcro on the back which I'm hating despite generally liking the pouch.

Inside is a twin, Hyfin Compact Chest Seal, SOF-T-Wide Tourniquet, Israeli Bandage, QuikClot LE Combat Gauze, and a sheet of Steri-strips.

Unfortunately, the overall dimensions of the pouch are still too big for what I wanted leaving space that I could "fill up." Mostly, it's too thick, but nonetheless bearable. The above mentioned Altoids tin will also consume some of the bulk although I presently carry that in another fashion.

I question the validity of having all of these items and pray I never need to apply to self or immediate family. (To that end, I'm considering getting a RATS TQ.)

I'd like opinions on what you guys would do and if you think I should keep and add to, please list what you feel I might add without adding to size or noticeable weight.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

I feel your pain on this one. I have one of the rip away bags, and it too proved too big for my EDC bag (which is a work backpack). I don't think I would recommend your removing anything that you list as being in the bag now, and might add a compressed gauze as many of the "stop the bleed" kits have two compressed gauze along with the Israeli bandage and the tourniquet. I personally wouldn't remove the SOF-T tourniquet in favor of the RATS tourniquet, although I know that the SOFT is bulkier. I do have a few CATs and some SWATs. Went to a Stop the Bleed course and was very impressed by the ease of using both the CAT and the SOFT tourniquet and how effective they seemed (we were able to put tourniquets on ourselves and on another participant on both leg and arm). I think the solution is to find a less bulky storage solution. I've gone to using repurposed tool pouches to store my EDC trauma kit and it does markedly reduce the bulk. Of course, it means that you have to buy something another pouch.... The other possibility is to vacuum pack your kit. Before I became as knowledgable as I am about tourniquets I purchased a basic trauma response kit from Rescue Essentials that has the SWAT as the tourniquet but also has an Israeli bandage, compressed gauze, gloves, etc and is vacuum packed. This reduces its size considerably. In addition to it I carry a few first aid supplies and a pair of 5.5 inch scissors in a Helikon-Tex Medical Line Pocket Med Insert.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  3. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

If you’re looking for a pouch that’s not as thick, SO Tech’s Viper line comes in two sizes & the small seems ideal for what you’re looking for. It’s very thin.
    Have you seen the BFG Micro Trauma Kit?

GoBliNuke likes this.
  4. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

What is your purpose or goal for this kit? I would consider leaving the tourniquet and similar items for more of a trauma kit, or a special purpose kit (ie- when at the range or other places with increased odds of that sort of injury.) Maybe pack the severe trauma supplies in a 'piggyback' kit you can slap on when needed. In the meantime, you can improvise most trauma supplies should you need them.

5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Improvising a tourniquet isn't as easy as some make out. Of course, improv is better than nothing. This isn't a "boo boo kit" for headaches and cut fingers. The purpose is in the unlikely event I'm shot or otherwise seriously injured by Joe Q. Shooter or one of my psychiatric patients, with likely a defensive wound. I am medically educated and also a former police officer. This kit IS the special purpose kit.

6. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Have you ever done this? If you have, what did you improvise and in what situation? Did the patient live? If you haven't, have you practiced it?

Planning to improvise is planning to fail. You can improvise a cutting tool or a hunting weapon too, but no one in their right mind would suggest leaving the knife or rifle at home when going hunting. Why should medical gear be any different?

GoBliNuke likes this.
  7. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I can't think of a way to cut this down any further short of switching the SOFT-T for a RATS or SWAT and I'm not a fan of either of those for an IFAK

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  8. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

For smaller size you need to make compromises - up to you if you want to go this route, of course.

Wild Hedgehog EDC Pocket Trauma Kit is the one I find an incredible balanced kit for size vs. functionality:
    • Also the SWATT is not (yet?) TCCC certified, I would much rather have this as a tourniquet than trying to improvise with a bandana and a pen.
    • It can also work as a pressure dressing (with packed gauze), also in hard to reach areas like arm pits, groin area, etc.
    • I would remove the CPR face shield (as in my this years first responder refresh training we've learned that chest compression works for ~ 10 minutes as there is still o2 in the blood and no need to use the face shield for adding air - layman term & disclaimer, I'm not a doctor or medic professional so just replying from the course; your & your patients mileage may vary).
    • Adding some Steristrips for wound closure, alcohol swaps, and ...
    • With some duct tape and the wrapping of the SWATT one can improvise a chest seal (also it's more of a try and hope that it works somehow, a Hyfin Vent would be sooo much better).
    Update: as seen in another FAK thread the Office Survival Solutions - Pocket Bleeding Control Pack seems similar to the WH mentioned above.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Oct 15, 2018
    #8 FiaOlleDog, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  9. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Those are almost the same size and compared to what you loose, its a no brainer to keep the softt. I personally consider the softt to be the compact alternative to a CAT [​IMG]

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

10. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Is thickness is the problem why not mount your items on a plate ?

11. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

12. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Recently assembled a slim kit for my EDC bag as well. Like you, I was running the ITS Fatboy. It's still in rotation but has permanent residency in my Vertx Ready truck bag.

This is the small Magpul DAKA window pouch.
    Mini hyfins
    Hemostatic gauze
    Rolled gauze
    Nonadhearant dressings
    Gloves
    Shears (crammed in after picture)
    Regular bandages
    Israeli (crammed in after picture)
    Anticeptics
    Burn dressing
    I keep a cat7 separate and loose
    Frog tape

The pouch is maxed out but it's pretty thorough and as space conscious as I could make it without vacuum sealing everything.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

13. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

What I've done is slimmed down on some of the other junk in my bag and moved my FAK into the larger of the 2 pockets on the outside of my bag. Some of the nonsense I've just removed all together and others I relocated to carrying on me or just leaving in the truck. I also slimmed down the number of some of the items in my FAK. Still have at least one or 2 of everything I started out with I just have to restock more often (mainly band aids).

I sit down and couldn't name one time I needed to rip off my taticool FAK and leave my bag behind for anything. My bag goes with me and if I'm leaving it's because somebody more/better equipped has come along.

#13 neo71665, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  14. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

To kit the trauma kit smaller it is all a matter of compromises, most of which are only going to give small reductions.

The Israeli is a rather thick trauma dressing. It does have the advantage of the pressure bar for occlusion, but if you are carrying a TQ then maybe changing it out for a NAR flat or mini erd or an HH mini etd.

Instead of chest seals, possible go with a vaseline dressing or some duck tape to use the wrapping from the etd.

Another that is a rather insignificant amount, but can reduce some is to go with a smaller size Quick Clot guaze instead of the Combat Gauze.

If worried about trauma, the one I wouldn’t sub is the tourniquet because that is the ultimate one that may determine life or death. The RAT isn’t really that much smaller when packed and the SOF-T and CAT are more proven.

With so e of the changes listed, I have fit the trauma items in a elastic rifle mag pouch or use a NAR cumberbund for the TQ and wrap the etd and gauze in a 2in velcro on the side.
    [​IMG]

#14 SOS24, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    FiaOlleDog and twin63 like this.