1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

deciding on my first "pocket pistol"

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by elkhills, Feb 2, 2009.

1. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

Well, I bought a gun! Found a used Kel-Tec P32 in a gun shop. It's seems to be in decent shape, we'll see once I get to shoot in 10 days. It was overpriced ($350 + $75 in "state fees"), but that's the price you pay :D in Kali. I wanted a .380, but oh well, I'll give it a shot :).

According to the owner the Ruger LCP (what I was really after) is basically a clone of the Kel-Tec's, anyway, and they're advertised for the same price.

By the way, if anyone is interested I found a couple of loopholes for California residents:

1. The LCP is legal for sale to Law Enforcement, meaning a cop friend can buy one and immediately sell it to you-through a gun dealer. Apparently some cops are doing this for profit already (per the gun shop guy, buying through him and selling back for $$$)

2. You can buy pretty much any gun you want provided it's already in Cali. Meaning if you can find it in a glass case at a gun store, it doen't matter if it meets the current Ca standards. This is the route I went, lots af driving around looking.

2. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

Glad you were able to buy something that meets your needs. It is a very frustrating system. All those great gun laws have created a legal black market. Drive all over the place, play the loopholes and end up paying more for a used gun than a new one in any other state. This :censored: has somehow made us all safer? Useless feel good laws that penalize only honest citizens. Criminals could care less about laws.

Enjoy your P32. I have had very good results with Speer Gold Dot in my .32's and it is supposed to be excellent personal defense ammo.

Mark

3. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

Congratulations on a great little gun! If you go to the Kel-Tec Owners Group site (www.ktog.org), you'll find a lot of info about your gun. The P-32 has a very good reputation for reliability, and may be better over the long term than the P-3AT, as it subjects its parts to less stress. I doubt you'll have any trouble with it.

Some P-32 shooters use ball ammo for reliability and for more penetration with the minimal .32ACP round. If you go with hollowpoints, there's an easy mod to the magazines with a "flywire," which prevents the "rimlock" that can otherwise occur with short HP rounds in the semi-rimmed .32 ACP caliber. You'll find plenty of info on this at KTOG.

Best wishes,
    Dirty Bob

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Loaded Pockets

Congrats! O0

Now buy some cheap ammo and go practice. To often, BUG owners forget to stay current with their firearms.

5. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

Congrats! You made a fine choice! I've had nothing but luck with my Kel-Tec. If something does come up, I've heard nothing but rave reviews for Kel-Tec's customer service.

6. Arkansas_Ranger

Arkansas_Ranger Empty Pockets

I have a KelTec P32, and I don't really like it. The only thing that attracted me to the gun was its small size thus it's an easily concealable pocket pistol. The last round in the magazine always hangs up in the gun, and the .32 really isn't enough stopping power for me as an officer. I wish I had bought the .380 instead some four years ago or so. I'd go with the .380 if you're sold on that size of a gun.

7. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

I hear you. I wanted the Ruger LCP, or KelTec .380, unfortunately as a non-cop I was limited to what I could find in a shop used. I saw a p32 and snatched it up.

As an officer, have you ever had to actually use your .32 or .380? Has anyone here, for that matter? Just currios.

A .380 or 9mm is probably ideal, but I bet a .32 to the chest would ruin somebodys day.

8. Arkansas_Ranger

Arkansas_Ranger Empty Pockets

No, I've never had to use it, i.e. shoot someone. In my former LE occupation I was forced to draw my weapon quite often, but that's more of a rarity in my current LE work as a Ranger. I've, in the past, used the baton, TASER, OC, fists, elbows, feet, and knees though, LOL, and in a very akward struggle I actually struck my assailant in the face with my then issued Glock 22, but no I've never "used it" under the terms you suggest.

When I first got the P32 I called it my "Gut Gun" implying that in order for it to be most effective I would've had to poke it into someone's gut and fire off the entire magazine.

However, a mouse gun is better than no gun. Pop it and run. A lot of people never realize they're shot. Maybe scream "I shot you" at the same time so your attacker will panic and give up.

9. JPTP

JPTP Empty Pockets

I carry a Keltec P32 as a BUG. It functions perfectly with Federal Hydrashocks.

10. 3fgburner

3fgburner Loaded Pockets

Personally, I wouldn't use one of my 9x18s for pocket carry. I have 4 Maks, a P64, PA63, and a CZ82. I've got IWB holsters for all of them, and an OWB paddle for the Maks / FEG / CZ. My pocket carry gun is a KelTec P3AT.

11. jggonzalez

jggonzalez Loaded Pockets

I live in the Evil Empire too and the basic rule is that which is not expressly allowed is prohibited. Good luck in getting a CCW.

As for guns, I've got a Kahr MK9 and a Seecamp LWS32. I'd feel fine with either if I had my CCW. For now they are nightstand guns. Granted the Seecamp is underpowered, but at close range its fairly accurate and with modern ammo it would get the job done. Of course, I'd rather have my MK9, but the Seecamp is pretty light and very reliable. I'm also thinking of buying a Ruger SP101 in .357.

If you buy a gun out of state, make sure it is one the state's approved list and be ready to pay $100+ for the paperwork. It doesn't really expand your choices in new guns, but it can speed up the process if you want one quickly and can't find what you want on the shelves locally.

Best of luck in your search. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions on my guns.

12. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

It is my understand that it is Federal law, that you ca NOT buy a handgun legally out of your home state. You CAN buy a long gun out of state, but NOT a handgun.

13. chriscoobs

chriscoobs Empty Pockets

I really like my sp101 DAO for a pocket pistol. It can take the 357 if you want it to, but i usually stick with 39+p If you want to go smaller i would get a smith and weson 640, which has an enclosed hammer, also DAO, mine is 38+ only but they make a 357 also. If you want a gun you will forget is there check out an airweight model,Too light for me, but if i was a LEO i would probally carry one as a backup service gun. As you can see im a wheelgun fan.

14. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

If you do the transfer with a FFL holder, buying any gun from out of state is perfectly legal, if that gun is legal in your state

15. scubastan48

scubastan48 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT. I don't like to shoot it at the range. It stings my palms and is hard to hang on to. It is a super light weight little pistol that can save you beehind in an emergency. I love my little plastic pea shooter.
    scubastan

16. 3fgburner

3fgburner Loaded Pockets

Exactly. However, it's my backup gun, and my ultra-discreet gun. It may not be a fun gun, but it's certainly the easiest to carry of all my guns, other than the North American Mini.

17. jggonzalez

jggonzalez Loaded Pockets

Yes, you can. You just need to have them ship it to an FFL holder and then pay him at least $100 to do 10 minutes of paperwork and a half hour of bitching. I did that for an SP101 in .22lr. Expensive, but the pistol is a little gem and was worth every penny. By comparison, the out-of-state fee was around $30 or so when I was in Texas.

18. boss429

boss429 Empty Pockets

I have a NAA .22short version that fits in the pocket of my Levis watch pocket-about the only concealed carry you'll never notice your carrying. It does kick back in your hand if your not carefull even being a .22 short.Strictly a backup to your backup.

19. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Empty Pockets

Firearms that I believe fit your criteria that I would personally recommend:

• S&W 642
    • Kel-Tec P3AT
    • Kel-Tec PF-9

Note that the .380 ACP round is really a shortened 9mm round, in fact it is known as the "9mm Short (or Kurz in German)" outside the U.S.

20. skycaptain

skycaptain Loaded Pockets