1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Decent multi-tool for $30 or less?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by AshKicker, Mar 17, 2016.

1. AshKicker

AshKicker Loaded Pockets

Have a chinese cheap multi tool..eh its ok but rather have something different and has scissors.

I saw a gerber suspension then leatherman..but cant decide.

Any opinions?

2. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Save 10 more bucks and get a used Leatherman Rebar on that big auction site. You might find a good deal too.
    Rebar doesn't have scissors, sorry. Maybe a LM Wingman? Would definitely go for a Leatherman over a Gerber.

AshKicker likes this.
  3. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

my advice would be to buy a used leatherman, sometimes the leatherman juice CS4 hovers around 30 to 40 dollar mark used. if your budget is that tight i say the next option is Gerber suspension. not a bad tool IMO and the only gerber i would take over a leatherman in its price point ( LM sidekick, wingman, rev).

4. WyOkBuckskin

WyOkBuckskin Loaded Pockets

The scissors on my Wingman wont cut hot butter let alone paper. Awesome tool until you need to use the scissors.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  5. AshKicker

AshKicker Loaded Pockets

Guess the cs4 is better then?

Moco likes this.
  6. 313

313 Uber Prepared

If scissors are a priority I'd go with a Victorinox Climber or Huntsman for that money. Used Leatherman if you need folding pliers.

jcwagers likes this.
  7. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

Wingman is great for that price point. Yes I know that more expensive models are better in many ways, but OP asked for a decent MT for under $30. Alao, the Wingman and Sidekick (wingman scissors, Sidekick not) has a feature that only (correct me if I'm wrong) the LM OHT has: spring loaded pliers! I love that! I wish my SOG's had that as well. Lets get some love with the lowly Wingman for the best budget LM! If you can spend more get the Wave!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  8. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

The Wingman is a decent tool. Most places have them for around $30, but you can get them for less on sale sometimes. The pliers don't line up exactly on mine, but I don't see that as a real big issue. The scissors work fine as far as tiny scissors go, you just have to make sure you open them all the way until you hear a little click so that the spring engages. The flat and Philips drivers work well, and you can use them with one side of the tool opened to get into recessed areas. Haven't had any reason to use the can opener, but it seems decent. The file/driver tool is a little odd shaped, but good for smaller screws/light prying jobs. Haven't had a reason to use the file(not a nail file) and it seems like it would be a little awkward to use. The package opener is interesting. It's designed for safely opening plastic clamshell packages. It takes a little getting used to, but it works well, and it keeps you from risking cutting what's inside with the knife blade. The pocket clip works well, but it can feel a little weird having the extra weight inside your pocket instead of on a belt.

So, yeah, the Wingman isn't the greatest multi, but for the price point, it does a good job.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Another Wingman vote,I don't know of another choice for the price that does so many things well enough to count on?
    The spring loaded pliers are almost great,I wish they had the spring feature on the more expensive models.

I also have Gerber Suspension that I think is in the same price range? It is a decent unit and also has similar pliers.

I have also seen the Skeletool at times for $30 but I am not the biggest fan of that one really though I have tried.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  10. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

My Wingman scissors were pretty decent, not for fine cutting tasks though, like fingernails, etc.

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  11. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

after some research I found out that the discontinued LM Blast has just all I want. all locking tools, fixed drivers, inside opening blade for legal reasons (OHO+locking is illegal where I live and I want to carry this everywhere I go inside my bag), file, scissors, saw. neither sidekick nor wingman provide all that. and it had a medium-sized form-factor, that I liked.

got it used but like new for 30 euros on a rather well-known auction site. But I guess I was pretty lucky there.

if you don't need pliers daily on person, go for a Vic huntsman or the new pioneer X (scissors) and just pack some decent pliers in your bag. I think this combo more versatile if you have to turn screws with the drivers and hold the nuts with pliers on the other side, which is usually the case when you fix a bike or something.

The Pioneer X is probably more than 30 bucks, since it is a brand-new model.

A new huntsman just fits your price range and can be found used for about the half. Bought my one used in bulk with 2 other big and 2 small SAKs for 25 euros the other day, so 5 bucks per SAK, that's ok.

the SAK scissors are hard to beat.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I have a Leatherman Style PS, which is not what you're looking for. However, it also has little scissors that weren't terribly sharp. I recently learned a technique to sharpen them: Fold some metal foil several times, and cut with the scissors. So if you are looking at one with scissors, the sharpness of the scissors don't have to be a deal breaker.

13. AshKicker

AshKicker Loaded Pockets

What about the blast or fuse?

SeanByrdman likes this.
  14. AztecaMX91
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

AztecaMX91 Loaded Pockets

They are good too if you can find them. I think they are discontinued but i could be wrong.

+1 for wingman have been carrying it to work everyday for 2 years. Cheap enough you can beat up without remorse but tough enough that it gets the job done everytime. Gets more use than my LM TTI Charge

Sent From Another Dimension

15. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

fuse is a bit easier to find aftermarket than the blast

16. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

probably because it is so good, nobody wants to sell his. I would never sell mine :)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  17. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

true that, i always wanted the blast and for whatever reason couldnt find them. its like the poor mans wave. finally got mine recently tho

18. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I don't know why they discontinued it. it is so great. it combines the wingman and sidekick in one. (albeit in classic supertool format instead of the wave'ish outside tools and clip) - probably they wanted to make some space in the "budget" line for modern looking stuff.

but since I never pocket-carry any full grown multitool, I dont need OHO anyway.

Last edited by flux, Mar 25, 2016
    Moco likes this.
  19. SeanByrdman

SeanByrdman Loaded Pockets

I second the fuse. Just upgraded from one and made it my bag MT. Unless you need a saw or a file, you're set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. countrydirt

countrydirt Loaded Pockets

I have the wingman I purchased from Lowes for around that price.

RAMBOCAT likes this.