1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Day Pack Recommendation needed - Disaster work

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TJ S., Sep 13, 2017.

1. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

OK folks,

Going to be doing some work and looking for a day bag - something to take into recovery zones for 10-12 hours at a time. Needs to hold the typical gear associated with mucking out houses, clearing debris and being pretty much self-sufficient for the day.

Obviously, looking for durability as its going to get trashed and I dont want to replace it every time I go out. External water bottle pouch, someplace to tie down a helmet and gloves and some MOLLE would be perfect.

Not looking to drop a ton of cash on something that's going to be mission specific (no way that bag gets used for anything else after spending time near contaminated water and the debris associated with it).

Thoughts?

Gary Gross likes this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you don't want this for anything else and don't want to spend much it probably does not matter a lot which one you get?
    Walmart is probably your friend as there you can at least get another one if you kill yours before its time.

I also carry a cooler full of frozen water bottles into disaster work and food as I will surely get hungry before it might be time to eat.

Your real mandate of helping means you do not want to be any part of the problem no matter how small so you want to try to be as self sufficient as possible regardless of what you might have been promised would be supplied for you.

Gary Gross likes this.
  3. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Take a look at Direct Action: Direct Action Dragon Egg or Direct Action Dust on amazon. If you want a less expensive version of those bags you could try: TPG Tactical 2 Day Overnight Ops Pack. I had a Dragon Egg issued to me and it is an amazing pack.

Myrddraal likes this.
  4. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

The 5.11 Rush series is also a good line. Cheap and durable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Byfrost and MCPOWoller like this.
  5. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

Second vote for the 5.11 Rush series - I've used both the 12 and 24 during disaster relief missions. 12 worked great in a base camp type situation, where I knew the mission would be 6-10 hours, max. Anything longer or more variable and the 24 would get the nod.

6. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

LA police gear 3 day pack will be a lot cheaper than 511 stuff and should get the job done for you. They make some smaller ones too. If you don’t plan to keep it after this job, I would not spend the money on 511.

7. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Spec.-Ops. Brand is blowing out its "T.H.E. Pack, Tactical" in ACU for $56 (normally sells for $189). I've never owned one but have often thought about picking one up. Should be a solid pack. The only issue is that there are no external water bottle holders. Plenty of MOLLE available though, so you could add an external pouch and still be in around $75.

8. Byfrost

Byfrost Loaded Pockets

I second the 5.11 Rush Series. However, you might want to try the yolked shoulder straps first before committing as comfort issues may vary with different people. It would be best to borrow it from a friend who has the bag, load it up and take a walk or hike for a day to test the comfort first.

Maybe you can look around at First Tactical Bags? Their prices looks reasonable but I have no experience with their products.

9. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'm leaning toward the LAPG bag right now, based mostly on price and the really good reviews its getting. Even with an external water bottle pouch, its still only $50ish. Well within my budget for a mission specific bag.

twin63 likes this.
  10. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

My suggestion? Buy two of the LAPG bags, as they are usually pretty decent but the QC could be spotty. The best case is they are solid and you just throw the used one away. More likely, the bag will be all contaminated on day one and you will need hose off, viracide and hose off again, which will not dry overnight.

I do intermittent hurricane and flood work (almost two dozen federal declarations). It is dirty and you will be exposed to mold, chemical irritants and potentially pathogens. Think disposable and pitch it when too contaminated or when the job is done.

11. Miamic70

Miamic70 Loaded Pockets

Tactical Tailor Removable Operators Pack

Journo likes this.
  12. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

I ditiched my 5.11 rush 12 because of the poor shoulders. The pack has to stay on both shoulders all the time or it just falls down.

Have a look at the Karimor SF or berghaus packs, been working for decades in nasty places and same price range as the rush 12 but alot lighter, reliable and bigger.

http://www.pri-international.co.uk/load-carriage-en/daysacks/

Jules likes this.
  13. Jules

Jules Loaded Pockets

I know they're popular and relatively cheap for tactical gear, but I'd avoid 5.11 packs at all costs. The yolk system is generally uncomfortable, and as Brit1664 said won't stay on a single shoulder. They also have two stupid grippy bits of rubber near the bottom of the back panel that makes your shirt ride up as you walk. Most of all though they're poor quality/finish. The seam split around the yoke on mine and loads of loose threads on the molle.

If you can afford it, the new Maxped AGR packs are good, as are all the Hazard 4 packs I've had.

14. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

Swung through the outdoors section of the local wally world while getting groceries this weekend and picked up a $15 cheapo that had everything I was looking for already on it. Stitching seemed good, two water bottle pouches and a good sized molle panel on the front. We'll see how it holds up and take it from there. I wont feel at all bad if I have to trash this one.

Sadly, had to turn down a deployment for this week - shorthanded at the real job means no volunteer work for me :(

volvoboy, HardToHandle and twin63 like this.
  15. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

With the Maria track, I would keep my bags packed. FEMA and the federal interagency are beginning to pucker.
    And a $15 Walmart special sounds just right.

volvoboy and TJ S. like this.
  16. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I have never had any issues with the straps on my RUSH 12, but the Karrimor SF packs are amazing. I have owned them for years and they seem to be totally bombproof. I would also give a +1 to the Tactical Tailor Removable Operator Pack which is also a solid pack.

17. Byfrost

Byfrost Loaded Pockets

It seems that the Yolked shoulder straps aren't meant for everyone. I do not face your problems, as I have used it extensively with my recent travels with about 5kg - 7kg of weight (shopping stuff) in it walking around the city for 10 hours. I don't have issue with the single shoulder sling either. My only gripe is my shoulders (nearer to my neck) ached badly after 5 hours or so even with the thick shoulder pads.

I do not see how "poor quality" is the bag, but I agree with the finishing with lose threads around the molle webbing. At this price range and being mass produced, I personally feel the 5.11 Rush 12 is one of the best value for money packs around. The Rush 12 is best for typical EDC Carry (change of clothes, water bottle, first aid kit), and not for heavy loads (military signal set, "rucking" with heavy weight plates).

18. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

Best deal going right now is the LBT 1476a 3 day assault pack for $99 in woodland camo