1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dave's work edc

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by dave90, Aug 9, 2012.

1. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

So a couple of people asked to see my work edc bag so I decided to start a new thread about it. My practice deals mainly with architectural/structural engineering stuff so it's loaded out for doing surveys on buildings and site meetings, things like that. At the moment it's set up for summer but I'll add more cold/wet weather gear later in the year.

Anyway to the bag: It's a Barbour Tarras waxed cotton bag in olive. It should fade a bit over time if the Barbour wax jacket I've got is anything to go by. I was a bit worried it would look a bit 'handbaggy' but in the flesh it's more like a classic game bag/satchel type of style. So pics...

[​IMG]

Externally it's got a couple of buckles holding down a nice big cover which should keep the rain out nicely, a bass ring on the one side for a clip and a small pocket on the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ring is a bit low to be useful for much though, at least for me, but the pocket fits a multi-tool and knife with ease. My Gerber Recoil usually lives in there but the Fallkniven only goes in if I'm going fishing after work or something (both are illegal for edc in the UK but hopefully the multitool in a work bag is justifiable).

smashie and Fabregas485 like this.
  2. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

Under the flap are 2 nice sized pockets with poppers. I keep a Maxped Fatboy and a buff in the left and my camera bag and a canvas shopping bag in the right (shops can't hand out shopping bags in Wales anymore so you have to be prepared these days).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

smashie and Fabregas485 like this.
  3. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

The main compartment is pretty big. It's wide enough to take a folder to protect my A4 notepad and life admin stuff. Also in there are my tape measure and back up tape measure (the stanleys are pretty good but always snap or jam eventually), camera external flash gear, scale ruler, A5 note pad, 2 moleskins, Bahco Laplander (we survey some pretty overgrown places) and today I've got my pen rod fishing kit with me for a sneaky fish on the way home. :D

[​IMG]

As I was saying the ring on the side is too low for me but you can clip to the strap fittings easily enough to carry a water bottle or the laser tape measure like this...

[​IMG]

So over all I'm really happy with it. I'd like less fiddly buckles and a better external attachment point but otherwise it gets a big thumbs up.

smashie likes this.
  4. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

Fishing went well. If you've never tried a pen rod you're missing out on a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

Argeus and mooshisho like this.
  5. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Great stuff Dave. Like the look of that Barbour bag, as you said, not too "handbag" ish.

Cheers

6. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Think I can pier fish with it?! :D That would be most awesome. :)

7. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

You might need some heavier line to lift fish up by hand but it could work. It needs rinsing in fresh water afterwards though as it's not very salt resistant. Check out pen rod vids on Youtube, they can handle some pretty big fish for a little rod.

mooshisho likes this.
  8. smashie

smashie Loaded Pockets

Not a fan of the small, light and compact Leica Disto's then :)

9. Argeus

Argeus Loaded Pockets

Interesting. What pen rod do you have? Seem to find a lot of variants and brands...anything you recommend?
    I've been thinking it would be great to bring a fishing rod of some kind when out hiking with my kid, but I usually only carry my Maxpedition Lunada with me...

10. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

im interested as well, do you have a website or such? Here in the states, you google pen rod and all sorts of silly things pop up!

11. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

It's amazing how far they've come since we bought this one. We're long due an upgrade I think.

The rod and reel were from Penfishingrods. I went for the 5'3" combo and front drag reel. If you've got big hands though I'd get a bigger reel, it's a bit hard to use this one for spinning comfortably. Am I allowed to post links?

http://penfishingrods.com/shop/index.php

This was the biggest fish I've caught with it so far. Really good fight.

[​IMG]

12. Argeus

Argeus Loaded Pockets

That page is unfortunately so horrible bad, disorientating I can't even figure out what is what...
    Would have been nice with useable photos at least so I could chose based on a photo of what I want.

I'll have to try to figure it out though. Seems like a perfect thing to put in the little Lunada to go out fishing with the kid.

13. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

Yeah I got one on recommendation, if I'd seen the website first I think I would have been a bit put off.