1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dangerous snake encounter today.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by knifeguy, Jun 28, 2011.

1. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

While he may be a redneck, I'd have to agree with him. Sounds like a surefire way to get bitten.

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I bet you have a bunch of OSU paraphernalia too. :) I used to have a ton of it.

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

While I have heard of people playing with snakes get struck I have never heard of anyone at a roundup getting struck, we used to have snake churches and never heard of problems at those. I am sure some things happen but people have successfully handled them for a long time.

4. xjsnake

xjsnake Loaded Pockets

I'm a trained herpetologist specializing in snake ecology. First off: If you don't know what type of snake you are seeing, leave it alone. DON'T go flipping it over to look at the anal plate, or get close enough that you can see if it has round or elliptical pupils... More often than not you can safely leave the area and the snake doesn't end up needlessly killed. Second: If you notice in that video posted above, the Rattlesnake in that picture never struck at the bird (the threat) it threatened then backed away (which is all snakes really want to do). Third: I don't know about the roundups but the snake churches have been shown to use extremely cold temperatures (just above lethally cold) and/or tranquilizers to handle venomous snakes without being bitten. Fourth: If you have time to go get a shovel to kill the snake so that you can "identify" it, then you have time to get a camera or in today's world, pull out your cell phone and take a picture of the snake (again avoiding needless death of the snake).

Sorry for being preachy, I know I'm new here but I'm very touchy about people killing snakes.

5. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

+1 on that!!

Where did you go to school? I always wanted to be a herpetologist, but it seemed like not many places would offer that

6. xjsnake

xjsnake Loaded Pockets

Lots of schools offer introductory herpetology courses but no one has a dedicated herp program. Basically get a good bachelors in biology, zoology, etc... and then either go to graduate school working with a herpetologist or do a LOT of learning on your own. I got my bachelors at Bowling Green State University and my masters at Middle Tennessee State University researching hibernation in snakes.

7. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I can agree, I have encountered snakes over and over again. I don't see a need for self defense against them. It has always seemed it is easier and faster to withdraw than the kill them. The exception I see is when they are in the chicken coup or the numbers of too high in specific areas.