1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Dangerous snake encounter today.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by knifeguy, Jun 28, 2011.

1. knifeguy

knifeguy Loaded Pockets

So I was outside throwing the ball to my 6 month old puppy today and it landed near or in the lariope and he went to get it. He sniffed in the plant and then jumped back and ran away. At first I thought he had found a yellow jackets nest. But I walked up and saw the copperhead. I killed it with a shovel and took the dog to the vet.

The vet gave him an antihistamine and and and IV. My dog is going to be ok but hes really swollen In the cheek where he got bit. Anyone else ever have a dog get bit?

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I haven't had a dog get bitten, sprayed by a skunk and bitten by a bunch of fire ants, but not a snake. I got bitten by a copperhead as a teenager. Summer camp and I didn't have my shoes on, I stepped on it, and it bit me as it died I guess. Freaked everyone out. My counselor just about called in an air ambulance. It was just kind of stuck with its teeth in my foot. She ripped it out, and whacked the crap out of it with a shovel. I didn't find out until we got to the hospital that it hadn't injected any venom. Kind of anti-climatic actually. I do remember them saying that copperheads aren't as toxic as rattlesnakes. Still, poor doggie. My puppy is also 6 months old, and if he got bit, they'd probably have to put me in the bed next to him.

3. renzo1320

renzo1320 Empty Pockets

a snake bite my dog like 12 years ago and he died..... i don't know what snake it was. but the dog was 10 years old so yea

4. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

critterfixer Loaded Pockets

As a veterinarian, I treat a lot of snakebites this time of year. In my area of Oklahoma we have copperheads and pygmy rattlesnakes, which are not as toxic as the larger eastern and western diamondbacks. Most that I see have a lot of local tissue swelling but usually not the severe tissue degradation and bleeding disorders that come with the more toxic species. Typically they recover with antihistamines, steroids, and antibiotics and don't require antivenin. In other parts of the country, it's a different story.

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

What part of Oklahoma are you in?

6. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Good to hear your puppy is going to be okay.

7. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tecumseh

8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I would have thought you would have had more than just Copperheads and Pygmies there. I really don't know your area that well, I was trapped in Shawnee for a week once but never got any further than a small campus and a blazing hot gym in 1980.

9. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

why does everyone kill snakes?? that makes me sad... I can understand if you are being attacked, but if you just see one out in the woods, please don't kill it

10. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

Used to just be Copperheads. We didn't start seeing Pygmies until about 15 years ago and they are still not that common. You have to go a bit further north or west to get into Diamondback country. We saw those type of bites when I was in vet school at Stillwater.

11. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

St. Gregory's?

The only snakes I saw in Oklahoma were copperheads, and some water moccasins in the SE section. At least that's what I think they were. I didn't want to get close enough to get a good look.

12. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

They are here in parts of the state in vast numbers. There are fields that sing with the sounds of rattles. We actually don't worry about them that much, very few are struck and fatalities are rare.

13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I don't kill snakes, it seems like half the creatures here do however. I have not known anyone to just get attacked, I have heard of people getting struck playing with them. They are defending themselves, venom is biologically expensive so they don't want to use it for no reason.

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I am almost an hour north of Stillwater.

15. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

You live in Ponca City, right? My wife taught at an elementary school in Ponca for two years while I was finishing vet school.

16. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

The bobcats kill the rattlesnakes.
    The coyote kill the rattlesnakes.
    The kingsnakes kill them.
    Roadrunners destroy them.
    Redtailed hawks have them for lunch.
    House cats kill them.
    If it is a carnivore here one of them has probably eaten a rattlesnake.
    Then there is the rattler round ups.

17. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

One reason to kill a snake is if someone is bitten so they can identify the type! Also if I find one close to my home but only the poisonous ones. The others are good! Like all things wild they are best left alone, not like those idiots on tv that have to pick things up instead of observing from a distance!

18. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Yep,

The places I spent the most time was the rural areas like near Camargo close to Texas, near Cushing, near Meeker, and the Osage. I am not used to being a townie.

19. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

One of the towns here has a rattlesnake parade, a rattlesnake festival, and a rattlesnake round up.

http://www.okeenerattlesnakehunt.com/

Some birds are a terror to the snakes.
    [video=youtube;Yc5jkqPIS_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc5jkqPIS_M[/video]

I actually feel sorry for rattlesnakes at times.

20. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'm a graduate of the Stillwater finishing school too. I remember this guy coming to a class once to talk about snakes, and how we shouldn't kill them. He was trying to tell us we could tell a poisonous snake by looking to see if it has a divided anal plate on its underbelly. One of my more rednecky classmates explained to him how silly it would be to turn over a snake that might be poisonous.