1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

D Cell Charger for Streamlight Seige Lantern

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by tbzbbt, Feb 24, 2018.

1. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

We had a power cut recently and I was very impressed with the performance of the Storm Seige lantern: even illumination in a compact rugged case for full room coverage. I've just ordered a couple more but I realised my Nitecore i4 and i2 chargers are not going to charge the three D-cells in these devices.Also I'll need some NiMH D-cell batteries which don't seem that common...

Any recommendations for a quality charger that can accommodate such NiMH batteries (and preferably other formats and chemistries as well)? Ideally six at once.

On a side note the Fenix CL25R (18650) and Nitecore LA10 lipstick lanterns (AA) also performed admirably. I've just noticed that Fenix have a rechargeable offering CL30R which may be worth a look too...all good for beach and barbeque beach and boat too.

tbzbbt

2. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

From what I could find doing a quick search, it looks like the Nitecore i4 and SC4 chargers will charge D cell batteries...but probably only 2 of them at a time. Xtar seems to have several chargers that will charge D cell batteries. These include VC2 master, VC4, and VP4 Dragon. You might also do a google search for chargers for D cell batteries. I saw the Maha Powerex Ultimate Professional Charger but those are quite pricey, although they will charge up to 8 batteries at once.

Sorry I can't be of more help but hopefully this will give you a starting point. A lot of these chargers will only charge 2 D batteries using the outer 2 bays of the charger if it's a 4 bay charger (or both bays if it's a 2 bay charger). The exception is the Xtar VP4 Dragon. It looks to have adequate space for 4 D batteries. You might also reference this thread by david57strat...... https://www.edcforums.com/threads/xtar-vp2-vp4-plus-dragon-vc4-vc2-plus-sv2-ant-mc-1-plus-mc6-nitecore-i4-v2-d4-sc4-chargers.121077/ You might try sending him a message and checking with him. He seems to have a ton of chargers and uses some of them for D batteries. He might be able to advise you further. Good luck with your search!

tbzbbt and david57strat like this.
  3. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

I use the AA to D-cell adapters. The ones I use can fit 4 AA batteries and I haven't noticed a drop in lumens. It was a simple fix for me since I have a lot of Eneloops and it makes my setup more versatile.

4. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I have a Maha PowerEx MH-C808M, charger for 8 AA/AAA/C/D cells. NiMH/NiCD batteries.
    Yes, it is only for NiMH's but it can charge 8 full sized cells at a time. I have a number of lights (Maglites) that use D cells.
    I also use Tenergy D cells. Love them. Takes a couple hours to charge but the MaHa works great.
    I have other chargers for my Ion cells.

Lateck,

RubberToRoad and david57strat like this.
  5. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks for the reference, brother!

Most of my chargers will charge D NiMh batteries, as well as the usual lithium ions; and some of them (The VP2s, the SC4s, and the old D4s) will also charge LiFePO4 (lithium phosphate) batteries safely.

I tend to use Tenergy Centura D NiMhs, and I generally charge them, in either my SC4s, or my XTAR Dragon.

[​IMG]
    Four SC4s, charging four Tenergy Centura D Nimhs, some Eneloops AAs, and some LG MJ1 18650s.

[​IMG]
    Sometimes I'll charge them in my SV2s. This is an older picture. I have four of them, now :)

Those VP2s in the background, will only charge lithium ion and lithium phosphate (no NiCad, or NiMhs).

The SV2s can charge at 2 Amps/slot.

All of these will charge most chemistries. The SC4s will only accommodate two of those large cells, at a time (using the outer slots), but can do so at up 3 Amps per slot.

[​IMG]
    The Dragon can fit four, side-by-side, but only at 1 Amp/slot (2 Amps/slot, if only using the outer slots). This is the only charger I own that has discharging and analyzing features, and it's quite the capable charger, albeit somewhat expensive.

Here it's shown, charging a pair of 26650 batteries.

Of the bunch, the SC4 is the only one that will allow you to individually program the charge rate for each slot, from 300 ma to 3 Amps (not to exceed 6 Amps, in total).

Last edited by david57strat, Feb 26, 2018
    #5 david57strat, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  6. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

Plus 1 for the Tenergy D NiMhs! Love 'em :)

[​IMG]
    A pair of Tenergy Centura D cells, charging in a Nitecore SC4 charger.

Some years back, I was considering that 8-bay MaHa D charger, but it just never happened. Instead, I went the way of Nitecore and XTAR chargers - and that didn't happen until years later.

Now, I'm a charging fool!

[​IMG]
    Top Row - Nitecore SC4 (x4)
    2nd Row (Left to Right) - SV2 (x4)
    3nd Row (Left to Right) - XTAR MC6, XTAR SV2 (x4), Nitecore D4 (x2)
    4th Row (Left to Right) - XTAR VP2 (x2), VC4 (x2), MC1 Plus (x2)
    Foreground: XTAR Dragon

The Tenergy Centura D NiMhs were easy enough to find, right at my local Fry's Electronics.

Last edited by david57strat, Feb 26, 2018
    #6 david57strat, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    tbzbbt likes this.
  7. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

You won't see a drop in lumens, you'll see a drop in run time. AAs have less than half the capacity of Ds (in amp-hours). Which maybe fine if you prefer the flexibility.

8. weylan

weylan Loaded Pockets

I found these useful
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Lot-Battery-Adapter-Charge-Test-C-D-Cells-Power-BM200-BT-C3100-Charger/323101443428?hash=item4b3a58c564:g:B4oAAOSw~kJacBCC

They let you charge D cells in AA chargers. I have a 4 AA charger that can charge 2 D cells at a time. But some of the 8AA chargers can charge more D cells at the same time in the same space.

I like the 4AA D cell adapters for using AA batteries. But i find sometimes the AA batteries are finicky in the adapters and it can take a bit of adjusting to get the cells seated in the adapter. It can depend on the adapter and the device what works best.

Dreaming of camping or aquaponics and the pond.

9. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the respones. I'm torn between (a) buying lots of adaptor carriers and 3 x AA Eneloops per adaptor to substitute for the D-Cells ; or (b) buying another charger (I have Nitecore i4, the old version that doesnt accommodate D-cells) and buying NiMH D-cells of dubious providence on ebay.

I'm leaning toward the AA adaptors. They seem poorly made though. Are there any branded items of good quality?

tbzbbt

10. RubberToRoad

RubberToRoad Loaded Pockets

Came to recommend this. I've had mine for years and still works great. I use it for everything but C cells. I run rechargeables in my daughter's toys, a couple flashlights, a Siege lantern, and a Malkoff 3D Maglite.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk