1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cycling EDC

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Fabregas485, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I am curious to see what sort of EDC any other cyclist carry with them. If I could I would post pictures of my carry but I am awaiting a few bits to get it just right.

Feel free to post pictures and comments about anything bike related.

Last edited by Fabregas485, Apr 17, 2014
  2. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Loaded Pockets

Good post. I am looking at creating one but I am stuck at the start. I was thinking of adding a few things to my dc hiking bag to cover it but I am now more inclined to a specific one attached to the bike. A few tools , small pump ( or are the small co2 ones Better) OC spray etc

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."

3. scotty4130

scotty4130 Empty Pockets

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of most of my kit. Cycling gear is mostly carried in the camelbak rogue. I am finding it too small so will be looking to buy something bigger soon. Cycling specific tools are by topeak, the hexus 2 and the rocket ratchet lite. Haven't had the hexus long so can't comment much apart from saying it was relatively cheap and appears to good quality. The rocket ratchet lite is a great buy, gets regular use in the garage! I think the pump is also by topeak, didn't realise I had so much topeak gear until now! Any question, please feel free.

amper likes this.
  4. motzus

motzus Loaded Pockets

I'm a recreational rider and not a commuter so I don't need to carry things like bike locks and what not. I also ride a road bike so I don't need any of that "outdoorsy" survival type stuff.

No pictures so I guess everyone will just have to use their imagination:
    1. In a small saddle bag under my seat
      1. Bike specific multi-tool (it has hex wrenches, chain breaker etc.)
      2. Two tires levers (in case there is a flat)
      3. Spare tube (faster to replace a tube than to patch a tube and also useful if you damage the valve)
      4. Patch kit (in case I have more than one flat)
      5. Spare chain pin (in case I break a chain)
      6. $20 bill (cash is always nice)
      7. Alcohol wipes (useful in case of a crash)
      8. Aspirin (useful in case of a crash)
      9. Benedryl (in case some bugs decides to get frisky with me and I get stung/bitten)
      10. Nitrile gloves (useful when messing with the chain, don't get greasy hands)
      11. Razor blade (in case I need something sharp, much lighter than a knife)
      12. Small piece of old tire (to use as a "boot" in case there is a gash in my tire)
    2. On the bike frame
      1. Small pump (in case there is a flat)
      2. Water bottles x2 (always need to hydrate during a ride)
      3. Garmin GPS bike computer (really nice to track where you are going, plus when I get lost it gets me home or back to the parking lot where I started, it is really hard to read a iPhone while riding your bike one handed)
    Of the stuff that I carry I've only used:
    1. Garmin GPS bike computer (on every ride)
    2. Water bottle (on every ride)
    3. Pump, tire levers, spare tube (rarely when I get a flat)
    Other stuff I've never used, and have considered dumping to save weight but I always decide to keep them "just in case."

5. motzus

motzus Loaded Pockets

CO2 is not better than a small pump. The only way CO2 is better than a pump is that it gets your tire up to pressure faster. But it comes with some very significant down sides
    1. They are heavy. The CO2 cylinder plus inflator head generally weighs more than a small mini pump.
    2. You only get one try. That is the biggest down side. If you get two flats you're hosed. If you make a mistake and you don't put your tire on during the first flat fix you're hosed. I learned the hard way and gave up on the CO2 inflators.
    Now if you are in a bike race then the CO2 is much better because you can get the bike back into the race much faster than spending 10 minutes with a mini pump getting your tire pumped up.

HappyPuppy likes this.
  6. motzus

motzus Loaded Pockets

Remove Duplicate

7. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I have 2 different kits depending on the type of cycling. I have one kit for when I am ridding the streets\paved trails and I have another when I am trail\mountain biking. Which are you looking into?

8. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

A small pump tends to be the better option, as like stated above, you get as many shots as you have co2 cans. If you need to top up the tyre pressure while you are out, you have wasted a whole can. You can get pumps that have a co2 attachment built in, but unless your in a rush its just easier to carry a pump. I use a small Lezyne pressure drive pump, which comes with a holder which screws on under a bottle holder (or just the two mounting screws on most bikes).

It would be cool to see both. The idea of two seems a really good idea as what you may need for one type of cycling/bike would be different to another. I have yet to find a decent mountain biking track near me, but I would love to get back into real all terrain riding.

xtrajack likes this.
  9. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

I shall need to get a photo of my gear bag once I finalised my carry (a few new bits to add, and stuff to replace) but this is my ride.
    [​IMG]
    My standard Carrera TDF, except schwalbe marathon plus tyres fitted and some thicker bar tape.
    On the bike I mount my water bottle/s (two for longer rides), a pump (hidden from view behind the water bottle), Garmin edge 200, Nitecore MH2C (for aiming at the ground to see pot holes and road defects), Lezyne front and back lights I am using till my new ones come in (The new ones do not use batteries or a dynamo), a standard back light (One on flash one on at all times), and a saddle bag.

10. sharpkona

sharpkona Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]IMG_3645 by sharpkona, on Flickr

along with this, is a dakine hydration pack (don't know what it is)
    carry, first aid kit, bog roll, spare tube, pump, bike multitool, gerber paraframe II, button compass, food, phone.
    pack is a little small, looking at getting a camelbak M.U.L.E or H.A.W.G

ChrisHunter likes this.
  11. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

This always changes depending on how far and for how long and at what time im going riding. just bar hopping i might just carry lights and no patch kit. all day adventure around town ill carry all the tools necessary to get home. there is also some idiosyncrasies like gloves or water for extreme heat and head wear i dont carry a FAK, the injuries im worried about cant be fixed by an FAK when i ride with my buddies a few of them are trained medics that carry a tactical quality FAK.

Tools
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the green case holds the patches, large multi tool is by Bell, i just bought it but it seems to be of good quality. the most usefull tools so far have been the adjustable wrench from HF and the park tool MT 1, the tail light is the Knog Blinder Road Rear light

Then i carry lights if im out at night i like to carry 3, right now a Fenix E35 UE to see and a Bell Arella headlight to be street legal but hardly usefull for much else.

[​IMG]

Miguel GarcĂ­a and ChrisHunter like this.
  12. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

The bag on the back has 3 outside pockets, 3 removable inside dividers, and is un-zip expandable.
    I carry a pump, spare tube, camera, knife, multi-tool, compass, and other stuff depending on where I,m going.
    Pepper Spray is velcroed to the handlebars.[​IMG]misc photos 010 by longdrinkofsilence, on Flickr

ChrisHunter, Holliday and Moco like this.
  13. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I just got this for commuting AND singletrack. Supports 2" wide tires so it should do just fine, but haven't been able to hit the trails yet.

Waiting for widgets to arrive before I post the stuff that goes along with it...

[​IMG]

14. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I travel light--less than 8 oz.
    1. Spare Michelin ultralight tube in plastic bag
    2. Blackburn tool (now extinct)--includes tire levers
    3. $1 bill
    4. Park Tool glueless tire patch kit
    5. 2 12 gram CO2 cartridges & inflator

15. HappyPuppy

Am I the only one that carries a chain breaker? I had not used it on my bike but I helped a fellow cyclist and did it on her bike.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." -G.S. Patton

16. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

i carry one in my new multi tool but i have never needed one out in the field, only one of my friends broke his chain once

17. Redo

Redo Empty Pockets

I think a chain break is not very likely, and a tool specifically for that would mostly take up space. If the tool had multiple uses though (post #3), i might carry one. My bike EDC consists of tire levers, a wrench, bike specific "multitool" and an extra tube. Looking for a good small pump to add, but i can get by without one because the city has stationary bike pumps here and there. I also carry a LM wave.

18. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Its one of them tools that you may not require at all while out on the bike in your whole life time, or you may use it a fair bit. Personally, I am thinking of packing another chain pre sized up with quick link.

19. HappyPuppy

That is an idea with considering. I like to ride pin the old railroad trails and some stress there's not mobile phone coverage our many people. As well as a long walk home

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells

20. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

In a lifetime of cycling (I'm 62), I've never seen a properly installed chain "break" (on a road bike), nor have any of my long-time cycling acquaintances. In this world, anything can happen, but my practice has been to carry those tools that are normally/frequently needed only. You can always try to justify carrying another tool based on a what if scenario that is extremely remote. I don't want my sub 18-lb road bike to become a 25 lb tool chest...;)

jag-engr and kertap75 like this.