1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cutting the cable...

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Bulldog87, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

Who else has dumped cable? I'm dumping DirecTV and I'm wondering what everyone else has done. We mostly watch Netflix or Amazon Prime video.

I'm looking into Sling TV for ESPN though!

Any thoughts? Anything is better than the ~$100 for TV I don't watch! (Best part is my wife finally agrees.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

I'm 27 years old and I have never had cable. We just watch Hulu or YouTube or DVDs. It's way to expensive, I have better things to spend my money on (knives), and I would rather be out hiking or some outdoor activity.

Nighted and IMWILSON like this.
  3. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

We did away with cable and broadcast TV years ago and never regretted it.
    Never a sports fan so that makes a difference I believe ?

4. Sneaky

Sneaky Loaded Pockets

We plan on cancelling uverse next month and go with time warner internet only, NBA league pass for watching my Spurs games. Cable is way overpriced in my opinion, 300 channels and half aren't for me. We already use Amazon, Netflix and other sources for movies.
    Dunno what sports you are looking to keep up with pal but streaming is always an option.

5. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

You should be able to get most of your sports over the air via digital receivers.

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's what my wife and I do. We also have a Roku with Netflix and Amazon Prime. When/if I have the free time, I can watch my favorite programs instead of watching commercials or searching for a channel to watch.

7. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I've been wanting to cut the cable for a long time. Problem is, there are a few obstacles in the way. One, a Tivo Premiere with a lifetime service package. It's a paperweight without a cable card. Two, my wife will not give up her shows even though there are other ways to see them. And three, OTA reception in the area has always been terrible, almost to the point of nonexistence. But I'm ready, we've got a Roku, a Chromecast, and one of those Western Digital TV things (the one without the hard drive).

8. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Where i live there's never been any cable services. We've had a satellite receiver and later that digital broadcasting junk (that doesn't really work so well in the netherlands on many locations) but now with current internet speeds we gave up on broadcasting package crap altogether. We watch/stream everything over our internet connection!

9. Grizhicks

Grizhicks Loaded Pockets

My internet is via cable carrier; what are you doing for internet service?

ran23 likes this.
  10. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

About three years ago I got fed up with the trash on tv and how much it cost. I had grown up without any cable and we never had cable (Actually Verizon FIOS) until after 2008 when we moved here to Pittsburgh. So about three years ago I told my husband I really wanted to get rid of the televisions and the expensive service.

We have all internet service still through FIOS and put our money saved into getting a faster connection. My husband uses Netflix & Hulu. I do not. I'm a YouTube girl.

Let me tell you - going through an entire presidential campaign season without ONE commercial was purely decadent.

11. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately comcast is an evil mother of tricks. When we went to go cancel our cable and keep the internet. it was $10 a month cheaper to keep it as a tv/internet bundle then just to have the high speed internet. If there was a cheaper faster option in my area I would take it but that's what I have right now.

12. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Another vote for dumping cable/satellite! Granted, we're never up-to-date with Walking Dead or other popular shows, but Netflix and Amazon keep us entertained. I just don't watch enough t.v. to justify a huge bill. Not to mention, the situation hasn't changed much over the years: hundreds of channels available and almost nothing worth watching!

13. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I killed the cable several years ago when all I saw on the kids' channels were advertisements for things, things, things and bad food choices. Don't even have TV, but Netflix and Prime, and watching shows on PBS the day after they run work beautifully for me. My only problem is that if I have any time, and I sit down to watch new episodes of a favorite show...I binge. And then I have to wait for-ever for the next season. It was over $80 a month, without premium anything, about a decade ago.

14. =RedFox=

=RedFox= Loaded Pockets

MX III fully loaded jail broken. ;) Google it!

15. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I normally never order cable, but I'm renting a house it comes with directtv hd. I'm buying a new house soon, I'll stick with Internet and netflix.

16. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

Now those are neat. I may have to pick up one for the bedroom TV. The main TV has our HTPC/media server hooked up to it but I almost wish I had seen these before I built it. I may have gone with a gigabit NAS box and picked up few for the TVs. Shoot, 3 of them would have been less than I paid for the case.

17. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

I cut the cord about 4 months ago. I haven't missed any of it at all. The few shows (about a handful) that I actually care about I now receive via Amazon "season pass" subscriptions. I have an Amazon Fire TV box in my living room and bedroom... between Prime content, my Amazon subscriptions, Netflix, HBO Now, my Plex library and Youtube, I have everything I care about and more than I could ever want. I have the newer Chromecast connected to each TV for streaming Twitch and MLS Live from my iPad as well. Between the cable bill and TiVo subscriptions, I'm now saving $150+ every month.

18. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

I went the NAS route... totally worth it. I have a Synology (hybrid RAID 1, bonded 2gbps connection) that stores everything and a Plex server running on my mac pro. Technically, the Synology can be its own Plex Server (and it does just fine), but I'm picky and I use my macpro as the server for the additional proc/memory/encoding/decoding horsepower. The Amazon Fire TVs in each room have an amazing Plex app/client that communicates with ther server+synology and makes me feel like I have my very own commercial grade streaming service in my home and abroad (Plex's "PlexPass" lets me stream all my media externally to anywhere in the world, too).

Rasthor likes this.
  19. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

specifically regarding sports, a subscription to Sling TV will get you ESPN, ESPN2, TBS and TNT. There's a "sports extra" package that adds ESPN-U, SEC, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Goal Line, etc. Sling TV streams on Roku, Amazon Fire, AppleTV, Chromecast, xbox one, iOS, Windows Phones, Android, OS X, Windows 7+, etc.

20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I sell/Install/Service Home Theatre.
    You are all Heretics and Dead to me!:frantic:

Hows a guy supposed to feed himself?

=RedFox= likes this.