1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Custom Wallet?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Nihility, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Nihility

Nihility Loaded Pockets

So, I'm thinking of making my own custom wallet (and maybe even selling some if I end up feeling like I can make a quality product). I was just wondering what all of you think are important features in a wallet, or even just things you've never seen before and thinks sound kind of cool. Basically just looking for some inspiration and thought it'd make an interesting thread as well.

So far, some features I'm considering: Cash slot, credit card slot/s, ID slot with thumb hole (to push the card out easier, like on the LA Wallet), zipper pocket for change, keychain attachment, and made of Tyvek. Any other thoughts or ideas?

~Cody

2. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I'd ditch the zippered pocket for change. I don't know why any man would want to keep change in their wallet, personally. Same with the keychain attachment. But that's just my opinion. Some folks may feel that those are important parts of a wallet.

3. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Tyvek, a needle, and some thread are so cheap that it's quite easy and practical for you to prototype your own wallet. Check out this Instructables, and customize away.

4. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

• Cash slot - Yes
    • credit card slot/s - Yes
    • ID slot with thumb hole (to push the card out easier, like on the LA Wallet) - Yes
    • zipper pocket for change - No
    • keychain attachment - No
    • made of Tyvek - No (I would shred Tyvek, no matter how tear/abrasion resistant it's supposed to be.)
    • Any other thoughts or ideas?
      • Emergency key flaps (at least 2)
      • Bullet pen slot in the spine.
    ATB,
    Sam

5. Nihility

Nihility Loaded Pockets

In addition to the original question, does anyone have any suggestions on where the best place to buy Tyvek is?

6. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Among other things Tyvek is used to make kites. 60" width. Available by the Yard (minimum 1 yard)

Available at:
    Into The Wind: http://www.intothewind.com/shop/Repair_and_Kitemaking/Fabric_for_kitemaking_or_kite_repair/Tyvek
    and
    Kitebuilder: http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/666?osCsid=0b976dc863677f4d8f9a6c85b2f38407

ITW is marginally cheaper, but it might be a wash with shipping.

If you needs are really modest, you can always cut up the larger Tyvek Priority Mail envelopes (11 1/2" x 15 1/4"), but you have to deal with the printing and one side is seamed in the middle).

ATB,
    Sam

7. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

if your going to design a wallet...especially to sell..or even just for yourself..if i were going to do something like that..
    i would have some kind of "rfid" in the wallet..

seems to me,,this is going to be a must have in the really short term future..

8. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Even if you are doing a leather wallet, it sounds like a metalized mylar layer could addressed the RFID issue. FWIW: RFID... just another layer of convenience (read laziness) that brings up new security issues as both corporate and government entities seek to force it down our throats.

This is kind of interesting....

[video=youtube;ou6-8xDEnUI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou6-8xDEnUI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

ATB,
    Sam

9. iKarith

iKarith Empty Pockets

This is huge. I'm a big fan of the Big Skinny sport wallet. It's positively tiny. But I don't yet have any RFID cards. I have seen how easily they can be read, and unfortunately the Big Skinny folks aren't YET concerned that this needs to be a design priority because some fool at MIT told them that picking up card info off random strangers is not yet a major threat.

I've seen a prototype used to read every unshielded RFID in cocktail party type setting in about 20 minutes of mingling. Scary stuff. Nooo, no threat here!

10. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

on the flipside wallet site, they have alot of info and links to read about rfid and rfid theft..its huge and getting or becoming bigger than huge..i have learned even the easy pass in your car are being scanned by these scanning theves..
    many people are saying that they are not concerned about it... they should be,, we all should be even if you dont any any cards or id yet with these chips,,because you will have them shortly..

11. spiritof76

spiritof76 Loaded Pockets

I've been sold on change pockets ever since a couple of otherwise perfectly good pairs of 5.11 pants got holes in their pockets from the change I carried in them.

12. bearonautica

bearonautica Empty Pockets

Having lived in Europe a couple of times, the zippered change pocket seems to be the norm over there. They are less reliant upon debit cards for their purchases than we are. Also, having a one and two Euro coin also means that you carry more change. I think they are handy if you tend to use cash more than a card. It also makes it easier to find the change that you want as opposed to emptying out your pockets to find the change that you need.

13. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

I hate just dumping it in my pocket. I don't know if I'm a spaz or what, but even on my deeper pocketed pants I still seem to be able to fling coins out when running or pulling out my wallet.
    I tried a coin pouch, but it just gave back all the bulk, plus, dare I say it, change. Not to mention the inconvenience of another pocket item.

I'm also too poor to just throw it away. :p

Copper mesh can also be had for cheap, and should stop RFID chips from reading.