1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Custom pocket Victorinox/Leatherman/Topeak ratchet driver/bit kit.

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by AK Adventurer, Mar 8, 2013.

1. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Well, I've been building and re-building this kit for months, and I’ve just re-engineered it and how I carry it, so I think it will be at a solid configuration for a while; Figured its time for a thread on it. :) This is a little long winded, sorry about that. :)

The big change I've just made is to make it a stand alone item to carry; self contained, secure, and no sheath or pouch needed.

I was having a hard time finding a good sheath/pouch to use.

A skinth didn't even work, because to get anything out, I had to pull it all out to see what I was getting, then replace what I didn't need. A pain, especially on my knees in a snowbank or under a truck somewhere, trying not to loose the tools...

I used a clam shell style 3"x4" zippered pocket camera case for about 5 months, and while it almost opened all the way for easy access without dumping everything out, the items were still just loose in it, and hard to not drop/loose, or keep organized.

When I discovered that I could nest two Victorinox bit holders together to hold bits and wrenches solid together, it sparked the idea to carry it all without a sheath.

[​IMG]

The centrally located 1/4” hex bit friction fits snugly into both bars, and holds them together.

[​IMG]

The holders only carry 10 bits, and doubled up still only 10 as one side forms a cover.
    But offsetting it because the 1/4” socket drive adaptor won’t fit into the cover bar, provides room to leave a bit in each wrench, giving 12 spaces.

I chose to leave a 3/16” flat driver in the ratchet, and a #2 Phillips in the L-wrench. They are honestly the two most used fasteners I come across, and this is fast and easy, no need to retrieve and place a bit when needed. If anything I just swap them between the wrenches depending on what drive style I need.

Now, the next point was that 12 bits is rather limited options, but many more gets rather heavy. Thus, I added the double ended Leatherman bits that provide twice the options in the same general space.

But, the LM bits are a 1/8” flat profile version of 1/4” hex bits… SO, in the larger bits, the driver tip itself is not full profile in one direction, and in turn less contact area to the fastener, and a weaker driver. For drivers smaller that the 1/8” thickness, you get full profile, and full drive contact.

What I am doing is mixing the smaller drivers in LM bits, with larger drivers in full profile 1/4” hex bits. A couple of the bits I don’t actually need in that full 1/4” drive, (for instance the 1/8” hex bit) but I ran out of LM bit card spaces, and had left over full size spaces, so I opted to fill them with useful bits.

Finish by epoxying the LM bit card in place on the bit bar that hold the bits, being careful to clear the wrenches, and not hinder the flex of the clips holding the wrenches.

The big problem I had though, was needing to carry the extensions. They are great because they provide clearance of work surfaces for your fingers to get a full grip of the wrenches. Not to mention reaching into holes/tight spaces.

Also, the Leatherman extension is obviously made to drive the LM bits, and holds them much better than the wrenches alone, or the Victorinox Extension.

Why carry both extensions? Because the LM one being able to hold the flat bits is a deeper socket, and while it does hold full profile bits OK, I prefer the shallower hold of the Vic bar for clearing in smaller spaces. Also it obviously gives twice the extended reach to have both.

The easy solution is that the Vic extension fits in the holder clips on the Vic bit bar. But another whole bit bar to carry the extension is too bulky(and doing so would tempt me to carry another 10 bits and run the weight to high!) And that only solved it for the one, the LM extension is too big of a dia to fit the Vic bit bar clips.

I needed to have the clips, with clips to fit the LM bar too, and attached to the main bars to keep it all ones solid item to carry, without adding much bulk.

The solution was to get two more Vic bit bars, and cut them down to remove the bit storage and make short simple holder clips for the extensions. Then I lathed the LM extension dia down to match the Vic, and epoxied the mounts to the main bit bars.

List of included drivers/tools;
    • Victorinox ratchet
    • Victorinox L wrench
    • Leatherman extension
    • Vic extension
    • Custom 1/4" hex wobbler (see pics below, and slightly more details Here)
    In full profile 1/4" hex bits;
    • 1/4" hex to 1/4" square socket drive adaptor
    • 1/4" hex bit
    • 1/8" hex bit
    • T10 security
    • T15 security
    • T8 security
    • PH #0
    • PH #2
    • PH #3
    • 3/16" flat
    • R2
    • Victorinox Micro flat driver/eyeglass screwdriver
    And the Leatherman bits provide;
    • 1/4" hex (redundant, but its on the 6mm bits opposite end)
    • 6mm Hex
    • 7/32" hex
    • 3/16" hex
    • 5/32" hex
    • 9/64" hex
    • 5mm hex
    • 4mm hex
    • 3mm hex
    • 2.5mm hex
    • T20
    • T25
    • T27
    • T30
    • R1
    • R2
    • 1/8" flat
    • 3/32" flat
    • 3/16" flat
    • # 2 PH

Edit April 2nd, 2013, Verson 2.0 with Topeak Ratchet(page 2 this thread);
    http://edcforums.com/threads/my-custom-pocket-vic-leatherman-driver-bit-kit.106367/page-2#post-1532654

V2.0;
    [​IMG]

Bottom(doesn’t technically have a top or bottom, but I keep considering the side with the extensions on it the top, or front…)
    [​IMG]

Top;
    [​IMG]

And opened for bit access. The central 1/4” hex bit fits snug into both halves, and holds them together.
    [​IMG]

The other side, open.
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of the trimmed down holder bars, and the epoxy line. Also the turned down Leatherman extension In BO/SS 2–tone.
    [​IMG]

Here is the custom wobbler extension stored, it fits onto the end of the Vic extension, and I epoxied a small magnet to the bit bar to keep the tail from flopping around. (sorry for blurry pic), and a couple pics of the wobbler itself, as used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by AK Adventurer, Apr 3, 2013
  2. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

Looooove it! Makes me want to make my own!!

=RedFox= and AK Adventurer like this.
  3. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

WOW!! Good stuff there AK, nice work and design! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AK Adventurer likes this.
  4. GADGET982

GADGET982 Loaded Pockets

Love it! Great work on a custom setup. Having the correct bit can totally save a "quick project".

5. AK Adventurer

Thanks Gents!

Only problem is, now that I figured out how to set this up, its done...
    I have to find something else to tinker with in my spare time... lol.. ;)

keeper and SAKplumber like this.
  6. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

It's wonderful!

Also, good timing for me, as I have decided I need to carry driver/extensions in my work EDC for places a screwdriver cannot go, so I may 'borrow' ideas from this if that's ok!

7. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Looks great! Actually I came to the forums just now to ask a question regarding something similar, an effective way of using the LM bits without an actual Leatherman tool.

This seems to be a pretty decent thing for that, will have to think about a solution.

8. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

Wizard!!!

9. byksm

byksm Loaded Pockets

10. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

Very nice, I just picked up the victorinox bit kit with the L piece for my maxpedition beefy tool organizer, and I might do this mod. I was looking for the most compact useful bit/driver kit and your design is spot on!

11. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

That is awesome! Now I want one!!!!!

12. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Awesomesauce!!!! :dance:

Now... where can I score some of those bit bars all by themselves? :D

13. MonkeyBrains

MonkeyBrains Loaded Pockets

Awesome, I want one

14. AK Adventurer

I ordered mine, (5 of them so far), along with the Vic L wrench, extension, and some other SAK/Spirit accessories from this guy; http://www.ebay.com/itm/321014584446

So far great shipping times, all new items, etc..(usual disclaimer; no affiliation etc, just happy customer) Best price I could find on a lot of stuff, but the Only place I could find these bit bars by themselves. :)

G.

SAKplumber and Gryffin like this.
  15. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

keeper and AK Adventurer like this.
  16. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I've bought waaaaaay too many knives from that guy myself, can't say I'm surprised he carries 'em. Thanks!!

17. metropolicity

Ak! This calls for maybe a 3D model build!

SAKplumber and AK Adventurer like this.
  18. AK Adventurer

Actually, I started out that route! ;)
    I have the main bit rails minus the tool clips modeled in SU... Need to add in the LM bit card too.

I went this way because cash is so short for me now, I couldn't afford to risk the first run dimensions being off, and having to tweak and re-print. Especially since I'd never handled Shapeways plastic, not knowing if its flex was close enough to use the same clip dimensions.

What would be great in modeling and printing these would be getting everything as low profile as possible. I had to leave an extra 3/32" or so under the clips just to make them stable for gluing on. The clearances can really be trimmed down with having them integral. Also, the second rail could be narrower; it covers the top of the bits with them seated in the other rail, so there is dead space in the holes above the bits. And one set of clips can be made to fit the LM extension... I had to take a Lot off that extension to make it fit the Vic spec clips.

I even thought of some holes with 'windows' in them to seat some tritium vials, so it could be found if ya lay it down in the dark(not likely, but its a great excuse to make it glow and look cool!)

G.

SAKplumber, =RedFox= and vegassprky like this.
  19. metropolicity

FYI, the flex may result in chipping or snapping, 3d printed PLA isn't as strong as the injection moulded abs.

Tubes maybe a better solution instead clips/prongs

20. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I'd really love to see something like that in an aluminum frame or titanium :)