1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Custom Paracord/Leather workstation plenty of pics!

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by themadplumbarian, Apr 1, 2011.

1. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of boxes for my leather and paracord work, one that i made but recently i found a pic of a project and a little light bulb went off in my head so i started working on a station that would work for both of my hobbies, so i figured i would post pics of what im working with, and the progress of what im making,, any thoughts or ideas are welcome! ty JR

Paracord Box
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Leather working box
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Custom leather working box
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pic that i saw
    [​IMG]

Box in progress
    Outside,
    [​IMG]

Paracord side
    [​IMG]

Leather side
    [​IMG]
    You got to look very carefully but the leather side is twice as deep as the other, i don't think im going to butterfly the work area, i should be fine with just large area, ill also put down vinyl flooring rather then working on the wood, and on the leather side maybe set a large marble slab? to work on. but i can hang all my tools up, ill have to make hooks to make it like a hook and peg system also thinking of putting a little light under the top, and maybe a cord strip on the side, so i can plug it in, and then any electrical tools i can just plug in,, if you can read the size on the one pic, its not to size, its 26"w X 16"h X 12"d, just to give you a idea.. and like i said, any ideas welcome!!

2. Heavy_Hog

Heavy_Hog Loaded Pockets

So very cool. You must keep this going with pics.

3. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

That is nice. I just use, well...my hands..One day my kids will be old enough to entertain themselves while I work.

4. themadplumbarian

Update! after 4hrs of cursing, (1hr of which was cleaning the kitchen, so she doesn't complain!) 3 band-aids, and nothing but hand tools, here's where i stand, this should also give you a better idea of the depth, since the first couple of pics don't really do so,
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    To think, this is not even 1/2 way done, and i still have the other side for paracord! Ahhh, :^P

5. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Sweet ! Subscribed !

BE WELL .. GH

6. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

Great organization!O0

7. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Great work, my only issue is such fine work deserves decent wood. Version 2.0 should lose the OSB.

8. mfmendiola

mfmendiola Empty Pockets

nice work in progress! keep it up!!!

9. balrog

balrog Loaded Pockets

Where did you find the plans for the box?

10. Stuey

Stuey Loaded Pockets

Looks good so far, subscribed to see what the final version looks like!

11. themadplumbarian

Heres where i got the idea, they don't really have much, im not doing it to the measurements, nor with the side flaps. plus its double sided,
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/woodworking/diy-instant-workbench-plans

True, so very true. but i don't have any, lol, and i figured if all went well, and the sizes worked, when (no if!) the weather finally breaks, then i would get a nice sheet of wood, something better then a 2x4 for the tools, and nice hinges, i can make any modulations and see if i can get my friend in on it and build the box in a day, or at least get his table saw.. so far the only things that have been used are a jig saw and hand drill, heck i don't even know if ill be able to lift the thing by the time im done. and its surely not staying on the kitchen table! shes already after me since its been staying under the table while im working on it, err.. JR

12. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Very nice. I used to do a lot of leather work so I can really appreciate having a mobile workshop. I use an upright tool box and tool cabinet to hold all my tools and it's definitely not mobile. When I needed mobility I'd have to try and get everything I needed into one small plastic tool box and I always left things behind I would end up needing. I really don't do so much anymore, just the occasional repair or small project, so a box like that might not get used much, but I'd still like one.

13. themadplumbarian

When do you ever grab the right tools for the whole job? any type! JR

14. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Oh Aint that the truth! LOL

15. themadplumbarian

UPDATE: One side done!! another day on the station, and i finished the paracord side, wasn't really much to do, but the leather side is still bugging me.
    Paracords done,

[​IMG] [​IMG]

New work on the leather side, i put little pieces of CPVC pipe on the sides, in order to drop the leather carving chisels and exacto knife in, neat thing is i made them so they can tilt out to make it easier.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

On the other side i put hooks up for the scissors to hang, same for the pipe, to hold the swivel knife, modeling tool, and unique all-in-one tool, as far as the liquids, i just threw them in, i didn't feel like keeping the other box just for them, lol

[​IMG]

Basically all that's left, i cleaned the one leather box out, the paracords done, so all that's left is what you see in the wood box, its my two sets of alphabets and #'s, there very small, and i got to figure on some way to keep them sorted and kept down so they don't fall out

[​IMG]
    And yes there my slippers, :^p JR

16. themadplumbarian

UPDATE: Not much, but i figured a way to get the stamps to stay put, i think..
    [​IMG]
    There thumb tacks!
    [​IMG]
    With my new toy, a dremel, i sanded off the end of them, and then put the stamp on it, and pushed it into the wood,,
    [​IMG]
    And of course, my new toy, the newest and strongest one they have, He He, JR

17. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Super nice setup man !
    Now when you have the time .. Your welcome to do that to my entire shop (8

BE WELL .. GH

18. themadplumbarian

Thanks,
    Sure, you pay for the plane fair and supply's, ill get the room and board, lol JR

19. tasum

tasum Loaded Pockets

inspiring, nothing better than being organised. it's amazing what you find when you tidy up and sort things out :)

great handiwork on the box, clever idea for your stamps.

20. themadplumbarian

Thanks, very true! sometimes you just never know what you'll find! especially after you buy one, and find the one you knew you had the next day!! i don't know how many times that happened to me.. JR