1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Custom-made EDC backpack for my iPad

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by gambit21, Jun 13, 2010.

1. gambit21

gambit21 Loaded Pockets

I’ve been rocking a 5.11 Rush 24 but ever since I got an iPad and installed the iWork suite (mega thanks for the heads-up Simsmac0o!), I don’t need to lug around my laptop anymore. The need for a smaller pack justified itself. Being a huge, huge iPad fanboy, I wanted a pack that would carry my device safely and securely yet allow me quick access.

I came across a local dude who made custom tactical bags for airsofters to generate extra income. I decided to base my design and dimensions on my Kifaru E & E. However, I enhanced this to carry my EDC essentials.

After a couple of days of waiting, this is what I got:

Front
    [​IMG]

Rear
    [​IMG]

Internal (lots of MOLLE webbing!)
    [​IMG]

The iPad pocket. Actually, the original design was to make a “floating” pouch located in the middle of the storage area but we thought the movement might damage my precious device. So, the pocket was sent flush to the rear of the pack.
    [​IMG]

With the iPad secured, it was time to thread my MOLLE pouches. The top pouch contains the chargers and cables for my iPad, iTouch and iPod. At the bottom left is a Condor Tactical admin pouch for the iTouch and iPod, Skull Candy headphones and a couple of microfiber rags. The digital pouch carries my X-Mini speaker.
    [​IMG]

Here I have more pouches mounted on the straps. On the left are 2 VooDoo Tactical phone pouches, and on the right is a Spec-Ops brand Frontal Assault pouch for my Jimi wallets.
    [​IMG]

To finish this post, here is another photo that shows a generic MOLLE pouch mounted on the left to carry my eyewear: sunglasses and prescription. At the bottom, is a Maxpedition admin pouch knock-off that I got during a trip to Hong Kong. I'm looking to add a Nalgene water bottle pouch on the other side of the pack.
    [​IMG]

2. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Very nice! I bet it was worth every $

3. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Nicely done......and it really does look like an E&E.The internal MOLLE and sleeve for the Ipad are great ideas !

Mike

4. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the shout out, that's a very nice looking pack! Give us some updates on how you like word processing on the iPad after you've used it for a while. I'll be curious to hear if it's a comfortable experience or not. I've been lusting over the iPad since it's release, but haven't been able to convince myself that I need one... yet.

5. ATCustom

ATCustom Loaded Pockets

Looks great. Would you mind sharing the contact info of the guy doing the custom work?

6. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Yea it's real nice ,) That guy can make a killing selling those if he wants to ..

BE WELL .. GH

7. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

that looks wonderful and a plan that works

i like

8. S391

S391 Loaded Pockets

How can I get one? I'm packing for a trip as I write this and trying to figure out the best way to pack so I can take my ipad on the plane with me without taking a huge laptop case.... that thing looks perfect!!!!!

9. gambit21

gambit21 Loaded Pockets

@jma78: thanks and oh yes it was worth it man. our next project will be modding my satcom bag clone to include internal dividers so i can use it as a range bag. have to keep up my reputation at the range for being the non-conformist dude!

@MikeM: thanks! was just browsing through the hazard 4 catalog awhile ago looking for a liitle inspiration. planning to get a DSLR soon and i want a tactical looking camera bag. despite what they say about gear being "too tactical", there really is a practical side to it.

@Simsmac0o: so far, so good on the word processing on the iPad - it's exactly what i was looking for. thanks again man! if you consume a lot of digital media and move around a lot, reco you get the iPad. i read my books and magazines and watch videos on the device, and the battery life is great!

@ATCustom & S391: gentlemen, you have a private message. but to answer your question for the benefit of other forum members, i'm based in the Philippines most of the time, and so is the guy who did the custom job. will talk to him if he is interested in offshore orders.

@GRIFFINHAWKS: thanks and looks like we're on to something here. i should talk to the guy who made the pack for me, and maybe invest in his business!

@marsos52: thanks man! getting stuck in traffic has it''s rewards sometimes, gives me time to think and imagine. a laptop bag with that hazard 4 look/styling...hmmm..